The L.A. Complex
|The L.A. Complex|
Intro to The L.A. Complex
|Created by||Martin Gero|
|Directed by||Martin Gero
|Starring||Jonathan Patrick Moore
Benjamin Charles Watson
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||19 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Martin Gero
|Location(s)||Los Angeles, California|
|Production company(s)||Epitome Pictures|
|Original run||January 10 – September 24, 2012|
The L.A. Complex (originally Highland Gardens) is a Canadian drama series which premiered on CTV and MuchMusic on January 10, 2012, subsequently airing on MuchMusic. It also began airing in the United States on April 24, 2012 on The CW.
As described in CTV publicity materials, "The L.A. Complex follows the lives of twenty year olds living in the same apartment complex in L.A. trying to make it as actors, dancers, producers and comedians. Relationships begin and end, the need to succeed is tested and all characters are pushed to their breaking points."
On December 3, 2012, it was announced that The L.A. Complex was not renewed for a third season by Much and Bell Media, but with a possibility that the series can be picked up by another network.
|Jonathan Patrick Moore||Connor Lake||Season 1 & 2|
|Joe Dinicol||Nick Wagner||Season 1 & 2|
|Andra Fuller||Kaldrick King||Season 1 & 2|
|Dayle McLeod||Beth Pirelli||Season 2|
|Michael Levinson||Simon Pirelli||Season 2|
|Georgina Reilly||Sabrina Reynolds||Season 2||Recurring Season 1|
|Cassie Steele||Abby Vargas||Season 1 & 2|
|Jewel Staite||Raquel Westbrook||Season 1 & 2|
|Chelan Simmons||Alicia Lowe||Season 1||Guest Star Season 2|
|Benjamin Charles Watson||Tariq Muhammad||Season 1||Guest Star Season 2|
|Jarod Joseph||Christopher Taylor||Season 2|
|Ennis Esmer||Eddie Demir||Season 1 & 2|
|Paul F. Tompkins||Himself||Season 1 & 2|
|Dayo Ade||Dynasty||Season 1 & 2|
|Ryan Belleville||Scott Cray||Season 2|
|Kristopher Turner||Camron Logan||Season 1 & 2|
|Jordan Johnson-Hinds||Kevin Rainer||Season 1 & 2|
|Alan Thicke||Donald Gallagher||Season 2||Special guest star|
|Brett Dier||Brandon Kelly||Season 2|
|Megan Hutchings||Laura Knight||Season 2|
|Krista Allen||Jennifer Bell||Season 2|
|Kate Todd||Katee||Season 1|
|Aaron Abrams||Ricky Lloyd||Season 1|
|Rebecca Dalton||Dita||Season 2|
|Louis Ferreira||Dean Pirelli||Season 2|
Development and production
CTV's parent company, Bell Media, ordered six episodes of the series in August 2011. Shooting and production of the series began in the summer of 2011, with both Toronto and Los Angeles as primary locations.
The CW picked up the second season of the show for the network's summer schedule, to begin airing on Tuesday, July 17, 2012. Later, starting on August 27, 2012, the series moved to Mondays 8/7c as a lead-in for repeats of the new season of America's Next Top Model.
The series received mostly positive reviews from critics. Metacritic which assigns a weighted average score out of 100 from reviews of mainstream critics, gives the series a score of 70 based on 12 reviews, indicating generally favorable reviews.
Rob Owen of Pittsburgh Post-Gazette gave the show a positive review stating "For the type of show it sets out to be, this Complex is surprisingly, well, complex." Alan Sepinwall of Hitfix also gave the show a positive review, describing the show as "It's a primetime soap, but one that's genuinely more interested in what the characters want to do for a living than in who they're sleeping with."
The TVLine team said of LA Complex, "It’s like everything you’d want from a CW soap, and it delivers," and that it contains "TV’s most interesting, unexpected romance."
Entertainment Weekly gave the show an A- and declared that it was "summer's hidden gem", saying that it was "unexpectedly smart", and that the bad decisions of the characters made it "far more interesting, relatable, and likable than the glambots we normally see".
However, Tom Gliatto of People Weekly gave the show a negative review, describing the show as a "blah drama about kids living in an LA apartment complex while hustling for big breaks."
- The L.A. Complex premiered on January 10, 2012 in Canada. It was previewed on CTV drawing 351,000 viewers as well as 60,000 on its regular channel MuchMusic.
- Episode 2 aired January 17, 2012 on MuchMusic drawing 87,000 viewers.
- Episode 3 aired January 24, 2012 on MuchMusic drawing 40,000 viewers.
- Episode 4 aired January 31, 2012 on MuchMusic drawing 44,000 viewers.
- Episode 5 aired February 7, 2012 on MuchMusic drawing 16,000 viewers.
- Episode 6 (season finale) aired February 14, 2012 on MuchMusic drawing 22,000 viewers.
However, after its initial airing in the United States, the series received the lowest-ever ratings for a broadcast drama series premiere, despite its generally favorable reviews.
- In the France, June will broadcast the show starting November 5, 2012 (in French).
- In the United States, the series airs on The CW.
- In the Australia, the series airs on MTV Australia.
- In the United Kingdom, the series will air on MTV & now on Drama.
- In the Turkey, tv2 will broadcast the show starting February 12, 2013
- In the Asia the series will air by April 14th 2013 with a back-to-back premier on MTV Asia.
- In the Czech Republic the series premiered on MTV Czech on April 17, 2013.
- In the Poland the series will premiere on MTV Poland on April 21, 2013.
- In the Netherlands the series will premiere on MTV Netherlands on April 21, 2013.
- In the Latin America the series will premiere under the title "Sueños de Hollywood" on MTV on April 21, 2013.
- In the Slovenia the series airs on Planet TV.
- In the Portugal the series airs on MTV Portugal.
- Seidman, Robert (January 10, 2012). "The CW Acquires Six-Part Canadian Drama ‘The L.A. Complex’". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 19, 2012.
- "The LA Complex premieres January 10 on MuchMusic and CTV". Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "CTV to double-debut The L.A. Complex in January". Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- Vlessing, Etan (December 3, 2012). "'The L.A. Complex' Not Renewed for Third Season by Canada's MuchMusic Channel". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- Vlessing, Etan (December 20, 2012). "The CW Not Renewing 'The L.A. Complex' for Third Season (Exclusive)l". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 20, 2012.
- "Bell Media's Original Series 'The L.A. Complex' Acquired by The CW". Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- Vlessing, Etan (March 22, 2012). "Bell Media Orders 13 More Episodes of ‘The L.A. Complex’ (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 17, 2012.
- "The CW Announces Premiere Dates for ‘Oh Sit!’, ‘The Next: Fame is at Your Doorstep’, ‘America’s Next Top Model’, ‘The LA Complex’ and More - Ratings". TV by the Numbers. 2012-06-06. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "The L.A. Complex - Season 1 Review, Ratings, Credits, and More". Metacritic. April 24, 2012. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- "Popular TV Shows 2012 Q&A -- House Finale's Best Surprise? - TVLine". TVLine. May 25, 2012. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- Baldwin, Kristen (2012). "TV: The L.A. Complex". Entertainment Weekly (#1222): 66–67.
- "The Brioux Report: Big Bang beats Globes; new CBC season soars". Toronto.com. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "The Brioux Report: Canadians love hockey, football and The Big Bang Theory". Toronto.com. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "The Brioux Report: Big Bang, CSI, All-Star hockey wins week before sweeps". Toronto.com. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "The Brioux Report: Canada bowled over by the Super Bowl". Toronto.com. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "The Brioux Report: The Grammy Awards hit high ratings note for Global". Toronto.com. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "The Brioux Report: Survivor and The Amazing Race roar back in pre-Oscar week". Toronto.com. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "La série canadienne The L.A. Complex dès le 5 novembre sur June" (in French). October 4, 2012.
- Munn, Patrick (October 4, 2012). "MTV Acquires UK Rights To Canadian Series ‘The LA Complex’". TVWise. Retrieved October 4, 2012.