The Oz Kids
|The Oz Kids|
|Also known as||Little Wizard Stories|
|Created by||Willard Carroll|
Jonathan Taylor Thomas
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||26|
|Running time||23 minutes (per episode)
40–89 minutes (per VHS)
|Production company(s)||Hyperion Animation
21st Century Fox
|Original channel||ABC (1996) / CBS (1988-19910|
|Audio format||Dolby Surround|
|Original run||September 14, 1996– November 9, 1996|
The Oz Kids is an American animated fantasy comedy-drama television series produced by Hyperion Animation based on The Wizard of Oz, L. Frank Baum's classic children's novel, and its various sequels. and was first broadcast on September 14, 1996 on ABC.
The two main characters of this series are both human: Dot and Neddie (the children of Dorothy). The major characters are Boris and Bela (the children of the Cowardly Lion), Tin Boy (the son of the Tin Woodman), Scarecrow Jr. (the son of the original Scarecrow), Jack Pumpkinhead, Jr. (son of the original Jack Pumpkinhead), Frank, (the son of the Wizard), and Andrea, daughter of Glinda.
Similar to series like Muppet Babies, the faces of the grown-ups are never shown.
Dorothy's daughter, Neddie's fun-loving older sister. Dot Hugson (voiced by Julianne Michelle) is a cute, energetic and beautiful young farmgirl from Kansas and the leader of the Oz Kids, and she has very good heart. She is fearless and creative when in a dangerous situation, she is able to analyze the options and act accordingly. She consistently triumphs with style and imagination. Dot's parents are Dorothy Gale and Zebediah Hugson. Dorothy Gale first came to Oz as a young girl. Her adventures were recounted in The Wizard of Oz. As an adult, Dorothy married Kansas farmhand Zebediah and eventually settled in Oz where they had two children, Dot and Neddie. Dot has spent her entire childhood in Oz.
Although she is happy and well-adjusted, she yearns to learn more about the outside world. Dot instigates many of the trips outside of Oz. After each adventure with her friends, however, she is happy to return to Oz, to her home. She is very protective of her younger brother, Neddie.
She is fair skinned with freckles. She has brown hair tied back into two pigtails with blue bows. She wears a white blouse with short, puffy sleeves, a sleeveless blue dress, white bloomers, white socks, and black Mary Jane shoes. Like her mother, Dot is quick-thinking but always sensible and can often come up with solutions to problems when no one else can.
Dot had a Magic Belt that gives her magical powers. She is 7 years old.
Neddie Hugson (voiced by Eric Lloyd) is Dorothy's son and Dot's charming little brother. Neddie shares many of his lovely sister's characteristics, he is inquisitive and energetic, but his lack of savvy often gets him into trouble.
Neddie is trusting (sometimes too trusting) and is easily impressionable. Neddie's personality is in a constant state of evolution. Neddie is often in a quandary as to what is the proper route of action but, through his sister's guidance, and his own internal system of weighing right and wrong, he ultimately always acts judiciously. He is 5 years old, a year younger than Dot.
Toto 2 is Dot and Neddie's black dog, named after Dorothy's dog.
Andrea (voiced by Shay Astar) is the daughter of Glinda, the Good Witch of the South. Andrea is quite beautiful and very aware of it. Andrea is not a witch but is a character always in conflict—she has magic abilities but isn't always certain how best to use them. Andrea is confident of her powers and likes to use them to her advantage. She is the least adept socially of the group and, often, she feels excluded from their activities When she feels excluded, she often retaliates with some sort of magical prank.
Andrea is a troublemaker but, at heart, really only wants to feel included. When pressed, Andrea is able to use her magic to help the group out of a mix-up—a mix-up which, more likely than not, she was the cause of. Her outfit is similar to Princess Ozma. Relies more on her magic than her brains, but when she can't resort to her wand, she puts her mind to work. She is 6 years old.
- Scarecrow, Jr.: Scarecrow's son. Like his famous father, he tries to come up with all the answers. He is 8 years old.
- Tin Boy: The Tin Woodman's son. Not as warm-hearted as his father, but can always be depended on to do the right thing. He is 7 years old.
- Boris: The Cowardly Lion's son and Bela's little brother. Tries to be brave and often succeeds.
- Bela: The Cowardly Lion's daughter and Boris' older sister, by 12 seconds. Far from cowardly, Bela always looks out for Boris.
- Jack Pumpkinhead, Jr.: Jack Pumpkinhead, Sr.'s son. He is 6 years old.
- Frank: The Wizard's son. Very inventive, like his father, ready to try anything new. He is 8 years old.
- Rick: Older male adult in the mold of the Shaggy Man and Cap'n Bill. He's devoted to the Kids and they are to him. If the Kids are in danger, Rick will come up with a solution.
- Dorothy: Dot and Neddie's mother.
- Scarecrow, Sr.: Scarecrow, Jr.'s father.
- Tin Woodman: Tin Boy's father.
- Cowardly Lion: Boris and Bela's father.
- Jack Pumpkinhead, Sr.: Jack, Jr.'s father.
- Wizard: Frank's father.
- Glinda the Good Witch: Andrea's mother.
- Patchwork Girl: Has numerous infant patchwork kids.
- Santa Claus: A man who delivers presents on Christmas for boys and girls every year. He is kidnapped by two oggs along with Boris. So one of Santa's elves and the Oz Kids went to rescue them. The Oz Kids told him come celebrate in the Land of Oz. Went Santa arrived in Oz everyone celebrate and at the end he went home to deliver Christmas presents for all little boys and girls.
- Otto: Son of the Nome King. Although he wants to follow in his father's footsteps, what he really wants is a friend.
- Mombi: A bad witch who is banish for years and came back. She is trying to take over the land of Oz and stole Dot's magic belt so she can have everything she wants. But at the end she drank the forbidden water and can't remember everything. So the Oz Kids told her that she is a kind lady who loves children and lives a wonderful castle. And so she became friends with the children.
- Julianne Michelle – Dot
- Benjamin Salisbury – Tin Boy
- Shay Astar – Andrea
- Bradley Pierce – Boris
- Jonathan Taylor Thomas – Scarecrow, Jr.
- Steve Stoliar – Tin Woodman, Hammerhead 1, Hammerhead 3, Joe, Wizard, George the Bear, Husband, & Pilot
- Lori Alan – Patchwork Girl, Aunt Scraps, Mother, and Wife
- Aaron Michael Metchik - Jack Pumpkinhead Jr.
- Chauncey Leopardi - Otto
- Lacey Chabert - Merla
- Scott McAfee - Scarecrow, Jr.
- Shayna Fox - Bela
- Eric Lloyd - Neddie
- Lawrence Tierney - Rick
- Alex Zuckerman - Frank, Jr.
- Erika Schickel - Dorothy, Glinda, Mother Crab, and Mouse Queen
- Marc Allen Lewis - The Nome King, Hammerhead 2, Santa Claus, Sea Dragon, and King Anko
- Jeremy Weiss - Wooded Tree
- Andy Milder - Tommy Qwickstep, Scarecrow Sr., Snicklefritz, Vendor, Barnabas, Gwing, Octopus, and Yell-Maker
- Remy Ryan - Angie and Harriet
- Peter MacNicol - Ork
- Jarrett Lennon - Munchkin 1, Munchkin 3, Winks, Dragonettes, Pinkie the Bear, Pig, Sacho, Toby the flying monkey
- Ross Maplettoft - Zog, Monkey King, Woozy, Zeb, Guards, and Jack Pumpkinhead Sr.
- Claudia Christian - Queen Aquareine
- James Keane - Rick
- Art Chudabala - Wu Chen
- Johnathan Charles Kaplan - Monkey Prince and Freddie
- Jason Renfro - Gumpette
- Ashely Malinger - Daughter and Clia
- Billy Mumy - Sam
- La Crystal Cooke - Henna
- Brian Ito - Hiro
- Miko Hughes - Teddy Bear
- Gabrielle Boni - Munchkin 2
- Michael Cade - Dungy
- John Link Graney - Billy
- Gavin Harrison - Crusty
- Darlene Cornley - Mombi
The Oz Kids Collection VHSs
From September to November 1996, some episodes of The Oz Kids were released in the form of nine VHS volumes by Fox Video.
- "Toto, Lost in New York" (September 14, 1996)
- "Journey Beneath The Sea" (September 21, 1996)
- "Who Stole Santa?" (December 13, 1996)
- "Christmas in Oz" (December 21, 1996)
- "Virtual Oz" (October 12, 1996)
- "Underground Adventure" (October 19, 1996)
- "The Monkey Prince" (October 26, 1996)
- "The Return of Mombi" (November 2, 1996)
- "The Nome Prince and the Magic Belt" (November 9, 1996)
- The Oz Kids Website (Archived) at Munchkinland.com
- The Oz Kids at Internet Movie Database
- The Oz Kids at TV.com