Type 056 corvette
PLAN Type 056 Corvette
CSSC Huangpu Wenchong Shipbuilding
|Operators:|| People's Liberation Army Navy
Bangladesh Navy (future)
|Preceded by:||Type 037 patrol craft|
|Planned:||20 for 1st batch|
|Displacement:||1,300 tonnes (Standard Load)
1,440 tons (Full Load)
|Range:||3500 nmi (6500 km) at 18 knots|
|SR64 air/surface-search radar
TR47 gun fire-control radar
The Type 056 corvette (NATO codename: Jiangdao) is a new Chinese light warship that entered service with the People's Liberation Army Navy in 2012 as a replacement for the Type 037 series of patrol vessels. It has been described as a stealth missile corvette which is also armed with a 76mm main gun.
Following the designing and building of the Pattani class corvette for the Royal Thai Navy in the mid-2000s, speculation of a domestic variant of the design was rife. The speculations were confirmed in November 2010 during a visit by Maj. Gen. Wang Junli, Deputy commander of the Hong Kong Garrison and the Hong Kong University's Vice-Chancellor Tsui Lap-chee when a model of the Type 056 was presented. The first ship was launched in May 2012.
Though the Type 056 appears in the 21st century, the design concept can be referred to as early as the 1980s, when the PLAN were considering developing a larger patrol ship to replace the Type 037 to improve the living conditions on the ship, which was firstly called by Type 038. However, this concept was not realized until the appearance of Type 056 in 2012 due to the shortage of funds.
The Type 056 has a stealthy hull design with sloped surface and a reduced superstructure clutter. There is a helipad at the stern for a light helicopter but has no organic helicopter support facilities.
The main anti-ship armament consists of YJ-83 sea-skimming anti-ship cruise missiles in two twin-cell launchers. The primary anti-aircraft armament is one FL-3000N short range missile system with 8 rounds. A 76 mm main gun based on a Russian AK-176 is mounted forward. 2 triple torpedo tubes are mounted for ASW operations.
Type 056 is the first Chinese warship with modular design, which makes it cover the roles from OPV to multi-role frigate. The PLAN used versions may include patrol type, ASW type, ASuW type, AAW type and commander type; while the export versions can be quite differently fitted according to consumer's requirement.For the moment, at least 3 variants of Type 056 for export exist with the same design of hull but varying bridge designs and armament layouts.
|1||582||蚌埠 / Bengbu||Hudong||23 May 2012||25 February 2013||East Sea Fleet||Active|
|2||596||惠州 / Huizhou||Huangpu||3 June 2012||1 July 2013||Hong Kong Garrison||Active|
|3||584||梅州 / Meizhou||Wuchang||31 July 2012||30 July 2013||South Sea Fleet||Active|
|4||580||大同 / Datong||Liaonan||10 August 2012||18 May 2013||North Sea Fleet||Active|
|5||583||上饶 / Shangrao||Hudong||19 August 2012||10 June 2013||East Sea Fleet||Active|
|6||597||钦州 / Qinzhou||Huangpu||30 August 2012||1 July 2013 ||Hong Kong Garrison||Active|
|7||585||百色/ Baise||Wuchang||25 October 2012||12 October 2013||South Sea Fleet||Active|
|8||581||营口 / Yingkou||Liaonan||18 November 2012||1 August 2013||North Sea Fleet||Active|
|9||587||揭阳 / Jieyang||Huangpu||28 January 2013||26 January 2014||South Sea Fleet||Active|
|10||586||吉安 / Ji'an||Hudong||25 February 2013||8 January 2014||East Sea Fleet||Active|
|11||589||清远 / Qingyuan||Huangpu||31 May 2013||First half of 2014||South Sea Fleet||Sea trail|
|12||588||泉州 / Quanzhou||Hudong||26 June 2013||First half of 2014||East Sea Fleet||Sea trail|
|13||592||To be determined||Wuchang||16 July 2013||Middle of 2014||South Sea Fleet||Sea trail|
|14||590||To be determined||Liaonan||1 August 2013||Middle of 2014||North Sea Fleet||Fitting out|
|15||591||To be determined||Liaonan||1 August 2013||Middle of 2014||North Sea Fleet||Fitting out|
|16||595||To be determined||Wuchang||14 November 2013||End of 2014||South Sea Fleet||Fitting out|
|17||593||宿迁 / Suqian||Hudong||20 November 2013||End of 2014||East Sea Fleet||Fitting out|
|18||594||To be determined||Huangpu||30 November 2013||End of 2014||South Sea Fleet||Fitting out|
|19||To be determined||To be determined||Huangpu||To be determined||To be determined||South Sea Fleet||Under construction|
|20||To be determined||To be determined||Hudong||To be determined||To be determined||East Sea Fleet||Under construction|
At least two versions of OPV that are blood relations with the Type 056 have been sold to other countries. One is the Royal Thai Navy's Pattani class OPV, the other is an enlarged version with full-load displacement of 1800 tonnes. Two OPVs based on the Pattani class have been ordered by the Nigerian Navy. Their factory designation is P18N.
- "HKU members met People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Hong Kong during campus visit". 4 November 2005. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "PLA corvette 'launched' amid tensions". Globaltimes.cn. Retrieved 2012-06-15.
- 201304 舰船知识,海军原副司令员、装备部部长金矛讲述海军装备发展历程中的一些重要的片段
- "First type-056 frigate delivered to PLA Navy". People's Daily Online. 27 Feb 2013. Retrieved 22 Mar 2013.
- "Two new-type frigates of PLA Hong Kong Garrison commissioned". People's Daily Online. 3 July 2013. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- "'Meizhou' ship commissioned to South China Sea Fleet". People's Daily Online. 31 July 2013. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- "New-type guided missile frigate commissioned to PLA Navy". People's Daily Online. 21 May 2013. Retrieved 1 Aug 2013.
- ""Jieyang", tenth Type 056 Corvette (Jiangdao class), commissioned in Chinese Navy (PLAN)". January 27, 2014.
- Type 056 Jiangdao Class Corvette - Chinese Navy(Navy recognition)
- Photos of the day: 056 Jiangdao class, a closer look
- China looks to the future with new corvette
- Media related to Type 056 corvette at Wikimedia Commons
- Sigma class corvette Netherlands
- Braunschweig class corvette Germany
- Visby class corvette Sweden
- Milgem class corvette Turkey
- USS Independence (LCS-2) United States
- USS Freedom (LCS-1) United States