University of Craiova
||This article may require copy editing for improving the English in places, and general copied.. (October 2013)|
|University of Craiova|
|Universitatea din Craiova|
|Rector||Dan Claudiu Dănișor|
|Location||Craiova, Dolj, Romania|
|University of Craiova|
The University of Craiova (Universitatea din Craiova in Romanian) is a university in Craiova, Romania. The university has 17 faculties and two colleges, offering undergraduate, master, doctoral and teaching degrees. It is ranked as the tenth best university in Romania.
In the 18th century, Bishop Damaschin of the Ramnic Archdiocese suggested the establishment of a higher school to serve the region of Oltenia, an idea which was later incorporated into the revolutionary Declaration of Islaz in 1848. Almost a century later, in 1947, the faculty of Agronomy was founded, and in 1948 it became the "Agronomic Institute of Craiova". In 1959, the Pedagogical Institute of Craiova established four teaching faculties: Philosophy, Mathematics, Physics/Chemistry, and Natural Sciences.
In September 1966 the University of Craiova was officially opened with seven faculties: the Faculties of Mathematics, Chemistry, Philology, Economic Sciences, Electrotechnics, Agriculture and Horticulture.
In 1974 the faculties of mathematics, physics and chemistry united to become the Faculty of Natural Sciences. The Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics was founded in 1991 through a union of the Department of Mathematics and Department of Informatics, both of which were of the former Faculty of Natural Sciences.
Since 1991 the university has consisted of two campuses: one in Craiova and the other in Drobeta-Turnu, Severin. The Craiova campus is home to four specializations: technology, economics, informatics and secretarial work, whilst the Drobeta-Turnu Severin campus is host to two specializations: administration and informatics.
The Faculty of Medicine
The Faculty of Medicine was established in 1970. In 1998 it separated to form the University of Medicine and Pharmacy of Craiova, which has been ranked as one of the best universities for a degree in medicine in Romania, and has gained international popularity among students due to the programme length of only six years. Admission to the school of medicine is based purely on the application file and it does not require an entrance exam.
The University of Craiova comprises of sixteen faculties:
- Faculty of Automation, Computers and Electronics
- Faculty of Letters
- Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics
- Faculty of Physics
- Faculty of Economy and Business Administration
- Faculty of Law and Administrative Sciences
- Faculty of Orthodox Theology
- Faculty of History, Philosophy and Geography
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering
- Faculty of Engineering in Electromechanics, Environment and Industrial Informatics
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Horticulture
- Faculty of Physical Education and Sport
- Faculty of Chemistry
- Faculty of Engineering and Management of Technological Systems
- University Centre Drobeta-Turnu Severin
- University College of Craiova
- University College of Drobeta Turnu-Severin
- Research Center for Artificial Intelligence
- Institution of Electrical and Electronics Technician Engineers (IEETE) Research Center
- Multimedia Research/Development Center
Annals of the University of Craiova:
- Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry Series
- Mathematics and Computer Science Series
- Physics AUC
- Economic Sciences Series
- Electrical Engineering Series
- Automation, Computers, Electronics and Mechatronics Series
- Theology Series
- Medical Sciences Series
- Philology, English Series
- Geographies Series
- ELSE Software
- The Young Economists Journal
University Craiova Football Club was created in 1948. The team name was subsequently changed to CSU Craiova (1950), Stiinta Craiova (1950) and finally Universitatea Craiova in 1966.
- Ranking Web of World Universities, July 2012, http://www.webometrics.info/en/search/Rankings/craiova%20type%3Apais. Downloaded 14 February 2014.
- University Web Ranking 2012, http://www.4icu.org/ro/ Downloaded 14 February 2014.
- The Monograph of the University of Craiova, 2008, Universitaria Publishing House, Beladi Publishing House, coordinated by:VLADIMIRESCU, ION; OTOVESCU, DUMITRU
- 1947-1965 History (Romanian)
- University Of Craiova
- 1990-2013 History (Romanian)
- Scimago Institutions Rankings
- University of Craiova Website (Romanian) (English) (French)