|Directed by||Prabhu Deva|
|Produced by||Vikram Krishna
|Music by||Vijay Antony|
|Cinematography||R. D. Rajasekhar|
|Edited by||V. T. Vijayan|
GK Film Corporation
|Distributed by||Raadan Media Works (Tamil Nadu)
Sun Pictures (Worldwide)
|Running time||138 minutes|
Vedi (Tamil: வெடி; English: Firecracker) is a Tamil action film directed by Prabhu Deva featuring Vishal and Sameera Reddy in the lead roles. A remake of the successful 2008 Telugu film Souryam, the film was released on 30 September 2011 across 250 screens in Tamil Nadu, 62 screens in Kerala and 28 screens in Karnataka Vedi received mixed reviews. It has been dubbed in Hindi as Fighter Mard No.1.
Vedi tells the story of a young Police officer, Prabhakaran (Vishal), who goes to Kolkata in search of his sister, Aishwarya (Poonam Kaur). Prabhakaran, at his native Thoothukudi, had developed enmity with a local don (Sayaji Shinde) by thrashing him in public and putting him behind bars. The enmity gets travelled to Kolkata also where the don join another local gangster to take revenge on the police officer. The baddies trouble the police officer’s sister and her friend, Paaru (Sameera Reddy), who falls in love with Prabhakaran.
While the enmity between Prabhakaran and the local don continues, a flashback of Prabhakaran goes on. It is about how bad him and his sister were treated by the society as their father was a smuggler. So, Prabhakaran decides to send his sister to an orphanage saying that he doesn't know that girl is. This creates a bad name about Prabhakaran in his sister's books. Later, Aishwarya, Prabha's sister gets adopted by a North-Indian family and settles in Kolkata. After few years, Aishwarya's foster parents die of an accident and she is sent to an orphanage again.
Therefore, he goes to Kolkata and he masquerades himself as a Gym Teacher in a College as he is scared that his sister might avoid him.
So, how the police officer defeats the baddies and joins with his sister is the action-packed climax of the movie.
- Vishal as Prabhakaran / Balu
- Sameera Reddy as Paaru
- Vivek as Varun Sandhesh
- Sayaji Shinde as Easwaramoorthy
- Urvashi as Doctor
- Sriman as Cheemachu alias Sreenivasan
- Poonam Kaur as Aishwarya
- Raviprakash as Paaru's Father
- Uma Padmanabhan as Paaru's Mother
- Sneha Nambiar
- Devi Sri Prasad in a special appearance
- Sophie Choudry in an item number
In July 2010, it was revealed that GK Film Corporation had signed on Prabhu Deva to direct a film featuring Vishal in the lead role. Initially Trisha Krishnan was approached for the lead female role but turned it down as the role did not excite her, Similarly Anushka Shetty refused the project, while Hansika Motwani cited that her call sheet was full. Reports emerged that Samantha, Kajal Aggarwal, Tamannaah Bhatia and Reemma Sen were considered, before the role was handed to Sameera Reddy. Poonam Kaur signed the film in March 2011, agreeing to reprise her role as the protagonist's sister from the original. The scenes were shot in Sri Sivasubramaniya Nadar College of Engineering with all lead roles.
Vishal began his first schedule in February 2011, after completing work from his other film Avan Ivan. An item song featuring Sophie Choudry was shot in April 2011 for the film. By May 2011, it was reported that 80% of the shoot was completed after scenes were shot in Bidar a district in the north of Karnataka State. The team then shot a song in Pollachi later that month.The movie, originally titled Prabhakaran (also the name of LTTE leader Velupillai Prabhakaran), was renamed Vedi and was released by Sun Pictures on 30 September 2011.
|Soundtrack album by Vijay Antony|
|Released||5 September 2011|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Vijay Antony chronology|
Vedi's soundtrack, composed by Vijay Antony, released on 5 September 2011.
|1.||"Enna Aachi"||Na. Muthukumar||Vijay Yesudas, Janaki Iyer||4:47|
|2.||"Ichu Ichu"||Kabilan||Vijay Antony, Sangeetha Rajeshwaran||3:48|
|3.||"Ippadi Mazhai"||Thamarai||Karthik, Saindhavi||4:23|
|4.||"Bombay Ponnu"||Thamarai||Mamta Sharma, M. L. R. Karthikeyan, Senthil Dass||3:56|
|5.||"Kadhalikka"||Vaali||Emcee Jezz, Naresh Iyer, Andrea Jeremiah, Rap Vocals Sharmila||4:34|
- The music director, Devi Sri Prasad does a cameo appearance in the song "Kadhalikka"
- Vedi gets 340 screens in south India
- Vedi opens to mixed reviews, tweets COO of Sun Pictures
- "Prabhudeva joins hands with Vishal". Behindwoods. 2010-07-23. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Trisha's on a roll". The Times Of India. 2010-11-26. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "I'm not doing Vishal's film: Hansika". Sify. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Who is Vishal's heroine?". Sify. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Sameera to star in Prabhu Deva's next". The Times Of India. 2010-11-25. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "'Call me Nakshatra not Poonam'". The Times Of India. 2011-03-17. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Poonam Kaur in Prabhu Deva film". Sify. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Prabhu Deva shoots with Vishal & Sameera!". Sify. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Sophie Chaudhary To Jazz It Up For Prabhu Deva!". Behindwoods. 2011-04-12. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Vishal film titled as Prabhakaran?". Sify. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Vishal as ‘Prabhakaran?’ - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Vishal's Prabhakaran renamed Vedi?". Galatta. Yahoo Movies. 2011-07-22. Retrieved 2013-08-18.