The salute is still popular amongst modern day supporters of Zogu and Albanian monarchists in general. Under the post-war communist government of Enver Hoxha, the Zogist salute was used by dissidents as an anti-regime statement.
The Zogist salute is a gesture whereby the right hand is placed over the heart, with the palm facing downwards.
Leo Freundlich, when confronted by the traditional Nazi greeting "Heil Hitler", would sarcastically respond with a "Heil Zogu" salute. The confusion which this created amongst German diplomats, who believed it to be a standard Albanian greeting, greatly amused him.
Use outside Albania
- "Britannica Online Encyclopedia". Britannica.com. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- albanur. "Ahmet Zogu, ALBANIAN KING, king of albania, Ahmet Zogu, Albania King, KING LEKA, Albanian King, KING OF ALBANIA, Albania King, King of Albanian, Ahmet Zogu, King of Albania, KING LEKA, History, ALBANIAN HISTORY, History of Albania". Albanur.net. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- Posted by Zontar 2.0 (2007-12-02). "The Crypt of Torpor: The Zogist Salute". Cryptoftorpor.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- "1913 | Leo Freundlich: Albania's Golgotha: Indictment of the Exterminators of the Albanian People". Albanianhistory.net. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- February 24, 2010 (2010-02-24). "Flag Day in Mexico". Vacations.com. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zogist Salute.|