(If There Was) Any Other Way
|"(If There Was) Any Other Way"|
Canadian 7" single
|Single by Celine Dion|
|from the album Unison|
|Released||26 March 1990|
|Studio||West Side Studios|
4:12 (US single remix)
|Celine Dion singles chronology|
"(If There Was) Any Other Way" is a song by Canadian singer Celine Dion. It was included on her first English-language album, Unison (1990). "(If There Was) Any Other Way" was released by Columbia Records as the album's lead single in Canada on 26 March 1990. The next year, it was issued as the second single in other countries. The song was written by Paul Bliss, while production was handled by Christopher Neil.
After its release, "(If There Was) Any Other Way" received positive reviews from music critics. The song peaked at number twenty-three in Canada and number thirty-five on the US Billboard Hot 100. Additionally, it became a success on the adult contemporary charts, reaching number eight in the United States and number twelve in Canada. Two accompanying music videos for the song were filmed. Dion performed "(If There Was) Any Other Way" during her Unison Tour (1990–91).
Background and release
In 1990, Dion was preparing to issue her first English-language album, Unison. After releasing various French-language albums in Canada and France in the 80's, she has recorded new English songs in London, Los Angeles and New York. At first, Unison was released in Canada and "(If There Was) Any Other Way" was chosen as its lead single. Written by British musician, Paul Bliss and produced by British record producer, Christopher Neil, it was issued on 26 March 1990.
One year later, on 18 March 1991, "(If There Was) Any Other Way" was released as the second single in the United States, after "Where Does My Heart Beat Now". For the US market, the single was remixed by Walter Afanasieff. This US version features a different audio mix from the Canadian single version and the album version: reverb has been applied throughout (most noticeably to Dion's vocal track), the guitars have been rebalanced so that they are less audible in some places in the song and more prominent in others, the drum track features "rimshot" effects during the chorus, additional synthesizer lines have been overdubbed onto the existing keyboard track (most noticeably in the bar before the instrumental break), and the fadeout has been slightly extended in length. It was also used in the American music video of the song that year. Additionally, "(If There Was) Any Other Way" was remixed by Daniel Abraham, a French record producer living in New York. His dance remixes appeared on a promotional US single.
"(If There Was) Any Other Way" was also released as a single in selected European countries, Australia and Japan in June 1991.
Dave Sholin from the Gavin Report wrote about the song: "Nothing like witnessing the growth and development of a genuine artist. Celine definitely falls into that category, capturing the hearts of Americans the way she's been doing in her native Canada for the past several years. Switching from torch song to snappy rhythm affords listeners an opportunity to hear another side of this wonderful talent". AllMusic's senior editor Stephen Thomas Erlewine picked it as an album standouts along with "Where Does My Heart Beat Now".
In Canada, "(If There Was) Any Other Way" entered the RPM Top Singles chart on 31 March 1990 and peaked at number twenty-three on 9 June 1990. The song also entered RPM Adult Contemporary chart on 24 March 1990 and reached number twelve there. In the United States, "(If There Was) Any Other Way" debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 chart dated 6 April 1991 and peaked at number thirty-five on 1 June 1991. The track also entered Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart dated 30 March 1991, reaching later number eight.
There were two music videos made for the song. The first one was directed by Derek Case and released in March 1990 for the Canadian market. The second one was filmed for the US market in Los Angeles, California and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It was directed by Dominic Orlando and premiered in March 1991. The two videos were included separately on Dion's 1991 home video Unison, depending on the Canadian or US release.
Dion performed "(If There Was) Any Other Way" on few Canadian television shows in 1990. She also sang it on the Canadian/US variety show, Super Dave and performed it in Norway in 1991. Dion sang "(If There Was) Any Other Way" during her Unison Tour as well.
Track listing and formats
Credits and personnel
- Recorded at West Side Studios, London
- Celine Dion – lead and backing vocals
- Christopher Neil – producer, backing vocals
- Phil Palmer – guitars
- Paul Bliss – songwriter, drums, keyboard programming, backing vocals
- Simon Hurrell – engineer
- Walter Afanasieff – additional producer, keyboards, percussion (Remix only)
- Daniel Abraham – additional producer (Dance Remix only)
|United States||19 March 1991|
- Glatzer, Jenna (2005). Céline Dion: For Keeps. Andrews McMeel Publishing. ISBN 0-7407-5559-5.
- Sholin, Dave (15 March 1991). "Gavin Picks > Singles" (PDF). Gavin Report. No. 1847. p. 56. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 7917." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "Top RPM Adult Contemporary: Issue 7982." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- Nanda Lwin (1999). Top 40 Hits: The Essential Chart Guide. Music Data Canada. ISBN 1-896594-13-1.
- "Palmarès de la chanson anglophone et allophone au Québec" (in French). BAnQ. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- "Celine Dion Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "Celine Dion Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "Top 100 Adult Contemporary Tracks of 1990". RPM. 22 December 1990. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Celine Dion – (If There Was) Any Other Way". Discogs. Retrieved 22 February 2017.