A 251 series train on a Tōkaidō Main Line Super View Odoriko service in July 2007
|Manufacturer||Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Kinki Sharyo|
|Entered service||28 April 1990|
|Number built||40 vehicles (4 sets)|
|Formation||10 cars per trainset|
|Line(s) served||Tokaido Main Line|
|Car body construction||Steel|
|Car length||20,000 mm (65 ft 7 in)|
|Width||2,950 mm (9 ft 8 in)|
|Doors||Plug doors: 1 per side|
|Maximum speed||120 km/h (75 mph)|
|Traction system||Resistor control + field system superimposed field excitation control|
|Electric system(s)||1,500 V DC overhead catenary|
|Safety system(s)||ATS-SN, ATS-P|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
The 251 series (251系) is a DC electric multiple unit (EMU) train type operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East) on Tokaido Line Super View Odoriko limited express services in Japan since April 1990.
The four sets, numbered RE1 to RE4 and based at Tamachi Depot in Tokyo, are formed as follows, with car 1 at the Izukyū-Shimoda end, and car 10 at the Tokyo and Shinjuku end.
|Numbering||KuRo 250||SaRo 251||MoHa 250||MoHa 251-100||MoHa 250-100||MoHa 251||MoHa 250||MoHa 251||SaHa 251||KuHa 251|
The fleet underwent a programme of refurbishment between December 2002 and March 2004, which included the addition of new seating, and repainting the sets into a new colour scheme.
- JR全車輌ハンドブック2009 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 2009]. Japan: Neko Publishing. 2009. ISBN 978-4-7770-0836-0.
- JR電車編成表 2011夏 [JR EMU Formations - Summer 2011]. Japan: Kotsu Shimbunsha. May 2010. p. 79. ISBN 978-4-330-21211-1.
- Saka, Masahiro (March 2014). JR第1世代の車両・現況と概要 [JR 1st-generation rolling stock: Current situation and overview]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (in Japanese). Japan: Kotsu Shimbun. 43 (359): 22.
- JR特急10年の歩み [10 Years of JR Limited Express Trains] (in Japanese). Japan: Kousai Shuppansha. May 1997. pp. 49–50. ISBN 4-330-45697-4.
- ブルーリボン賞・ローレル賞 選定車両一覧 [Blue Ribbon Award & Laurel Prize Winner List] (in Japanese). Japan: Japan Railfan Club. 29 May 2012. Archived from the original on 26 October 2010. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- 251系ローレル賞受賞 [251 series awarded Laurel Prize]. Japan Railfan Magazine. Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 32 (373): 34. February 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 251 series.|
- JR East 251 series Super View Odoriko (in Japanese)