2nd Royal Tank Regiment
|2nd Royal Tank Regiment|
Cap badge of the Royal Tank Regiment.
|Active||28 July 1917– August 2014|
|Part of||Royal Armoured Corps|
|Garrison/HQ||Aliwal Barracks, Tidworth, Wiltshire|
|Colors||Brown, red and green (Through mud and blood to the green fields beyond)|
|March||Quick: My Boy Willie|
Slow: The Royal Tank Regiment Slow March
|Anniversaries||Battle of Cambrai (20 November)|
|Engagements||World War I|
World War II
|Battle honours||Battle Honours|
|Colonel-in-Chief||HM The Queen|
|Tactical Recognition Flash|
Founded as B Battalion, Tank Corps in 1917, the 2 RTR first saw action in World War I with the advent of tank technology. In 1992, it merged with the 3rd Royal Tank Regiment, keeping their own original title. It became the second regiment to be equipped with the Challenger 2 in 1998.
Sabre squadrons were deployed by the regiment to Iraq on Operation Telic in 2003 and 2007. After a long period in Fallingbostel, Germany, the regiment moved back to Aliwal Barracks in Tidworth in July 2007. On 25 June 2008 at Buckingham Palace, both 1RTR and 2RTR were presented with their new Standard by The Queen, which included the new Battle Honour of Al Basrah 2003.
In August 2014 the regiment merged with 1RTR to form the Royal Tank Regiment. The new regiment is based at Aliwal Barracks in Tidworth and is one of three armoured regiments equipped with the Challenger II tank.
The Armoured Regiment consisted of 5 Squadrons:
- Nero Squadron - Headquarters and Support
- Cyclops Squadron - Armoured Squadron
- Badger Squadron - Armoured Squadron
- Egypt Squadron - Armoured Squadron
- Falcon Squadron - Armoured Reconnaissance Squadron
- "2nd Royal Tank Regiment". British Army units 1945 on. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- "Badger". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- "Cyclops". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- "Agreement reached with Aspire Defence Limited". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- "House of Commons – Hansard Written Ministerial Statements for 10 Nov 2005 (pt 1)". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). House of Commons. 10 November 2005. col. 21WS–22WS.
- "Eygpt". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- Regular Army basing announcement Archived 2016-08-14 at the Wayback Machine.
- "2nd Royal Tank Regiment Today". 2008-10-13. Archived from the original on 2008-10-13. Retrieved 2018-10-20.
- Official site
- 3RTR – Armoured Farmers
- RTR Website
- British Army Locations from 1945 British Army Locations from 1945.
- Merseyside RTR (Brian Gills website)