From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 988. For the number, see 988 (number).
|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||950s 960s 970s – 980s – 990s 1000s 1010s|
|Years:||985 986 987 – 988 – 989 990 991|
|988 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1741|
|Chinese calendar||丁亥年 (Fire Pig)
3684 or 3624
— to —
戊子年 (Earth Rat)
3685 or 3625
|- Vikram Samvat||1044–1045|
|- Shaka Samvat||910–911|
|- Kali Yuga||4089–4090|
|Japanese calendar||Eien 2 / Eiso 1
|Minguo calendar||924 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1299/1300 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1530–1531|
- The offensive of al-Mansur against the Christian kingdoms continues. He attacks the heart of the kingdom of León. The king Bermudo II has to escape to Zamora, the city of León resists four days but is taken, sacked and burned, Zamora has to surrender and the king must flee to Galicia.
- Dublin, Ireland is founded
- The city of Odense, Denmark is founded
- Kievan Rus' accepts Christianity
- Rus'–Byzantine War
- Borrell II, Count of Barcelona not renewed allegiance to the French king Hugh Capet: he became de facto independent count and start minting its own currency, this will confirm the independence of the treaty legally Corbeil (1258). This event is considered as the symbolic birth of Catalonia.
- The Liao Dynasty adopts civil service examinations in the Southern Chancellery based on Tang Dynasty models.
- Baptism of Kievan Rus': Vladimir I, Prince of Kiev marries Anna, sister of Byzantine emperor Basil II and converts to Christianity.
- Abbo becomes abbot at Fleury.
- Foundation of the Mezhyhirskyi Monastery by Michael of Kiev