August 27, 1982
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10.4 st)|
Light heavyweight (2007)
|Reach||68 in (173 cm)|
|Fighting out of||New York City, New York|
|Team||Redline Training Center |
Renzo Gracie Combat Team
|Rank||Black on red belt in Taekwondo|
Purple belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Hamid Khorassani (Persian: حمید خراسانی; born August 27, 1982), professionally known as Akira Corassani, is a retired Swedish-Iranian mixed martial artist who most recently competed as a Featherweight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional MMA competitor since 2007, Corassani has made a name for himself fighting mainly in Western Europe. He was a competitor on Spike TV's The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller as a member of Team Bisping.
Corassani was born in Lund, southern Sweden. His parents moved to Sweden from Iran around 1976. He began martial arts when he was six years old, Shotokan Karate became his discipline for 1 year until he switched over to Tae Kwon Do. He was playing football in his hometown team as well as pursuing his black belt in Tae Kwon Do. Corassani graduated fast and was considered a natural talent early on. At the age of 14 he became a Tae Kwon Do black belt to shortly after quit and pursue his football journey. Football became his main focus in life as he played in the highest youth league in Sweden. At the age of 22 Corassani found his way back to martial arts and he began training MMA. Corassani comes from an academic family and has four sibling who are all doctors. Corassani is vegan. Corassani speaks seven different languages: Swedish, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Persian, Azeri and Turkish.
In 2005 Corassani started training at a local MMA gym in Gothenburg where he lived at the time. He decided to dedicate his life to martial arts and only four months later he competed in his first grappling tournament where he took a silver medal. Up until his professional debut Corassani had 30 grappling matches and 12 boxing fights. Corassani began fighting professionally in 2007, and traveling all across Europe to compete. In his professional debut fight he challenged the Dutch heavyweight fighter Dion Staring. Corassani had travelled to Holland to corner his friend but heard about Straing's oponnent pulling out. Corassani stepped up on the scale as 76 kg as his opponent weighed 102 kg. The fight was titled as an open weight fight. He built a record of 9–3 (1 NC) beating good names before his UFC debut. He moved to New York in 2011 and was a part of Team Renzo Gracie. In US he joined their MMA team coahced by Ricardo Almeida with teammates such as Frankie Edgar, Edson Barboza, Eddie Alvarez, Corey Anderson and Marlon Moraes.
The Ultimate Fighter
In 2011, Corassani had signed with the UFC to compete on The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller. In the first episode, Corassani fought Brian Pearman to gain entry into the Ultimate Fighter house. Corassani defeated Pearman in the first round via KO. Corassani was selected as a part of Team Bisping, he was the second featherweight chosen for the team (fifth overall).
In episodes three through five, Corassani was shown multiple times in altercations with Team Mayhem fighter, Dustin Neace. The two would later be paired in a bout against each other in the preliminary round. During the fight, inside the first round, Neace applied a heel hook submission that looked like Corassani tapped to; however referee Herb Dean did not stop the fight and Corassani was released from the hold. Corassani went on to defeat Neace via a majority decision after two rounds. After the win Corassani moved onto the semi-finals.
Corassani was chosen to fight Team Mayhem fighter, Dennis Bermudez, in the semi-final round. The fight would determine who would move into the final round of the featherweight tournament. Though Corassani controlled throughout the fight with effective striking, scoring several knockdowns, Corassani lost the fight via submission (guillotine choke) in the first round. When the referee stopped the fight Akira had lost consciousness and had to be told that he lost the fight.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Though Corassani lost in the semi-final round, and did not win the show, he signed an exclusive deal with the UFC. He was set to make his debut on December 3, 2011 at The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale against Steven Siler. However, after an injury in training camp, Corassani was forced to pull out of the bout and was replaced by newcomer Josh Clopton.
Corassani faced Maximo Blanco on November 30, 2013 at The Ultimate Fighter 18 Finale. Early in the opening round Blanco landed an illegal knee to the head of Corassani when he had a knee and hand on the ground. Corassani was unable to continue, so he was rendered with the victory by disqualification. It was later revealed that the illegal knee had broken his nose in five different places.
Corassani faced Dustin Poirier at The Ultimate Fighter Nations Finale. He lost the back-and-forth fight via TKO in the second round. He was awarded his first Fight of the Night bonus for his efforts.
Corassani was expected to face Chan Sung Jung on October 4, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 53. However, Jung pulled out of the bout citing a strained shoulder. and was replaced by Max Holloway. Corassani lost the fight via knockout in the first round.
On January 26, 2015, Corassani announced his retirement from MMA on his Facebook page, finishing with a 3-3 record inside the UFC.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|19 matches||12 wins||6 losses|
|Loss||12–6 (1)||Sam Sicilia||KO (punch)||UFC on Fox: Gustafsson vs. Johnson||January 24, 2015||1||3:26||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Loss||12–5 (1)||Max Holloway||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Nelson vs. Story||October 4, 2014||1||3:11||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Loss||12–4 (1)||Dustin Poirier||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter Nations Finale: Bisping vs. Kennedy||April 16, 2014||2||0:42||Quebec City, Quebec, Canada||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||12–3 (1)||Maximo Blanco||DQ (illegal knee)||The Ultimate Fighter 18 Finale||November 30, 2013||1||0:25||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||An illegal knee rendered Corassani unable to continue.|
|Win||11–3 (1)||Robbie Peralta||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Mousasi vs. Latifi||April 6, 2013||3||5:00||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||10–3 (1)||Andy Ogle||Decision (split)||UFC on Fuel TV: Struve vs. Miocic||September 29, 2012||3||5:00||Nottingham, England||Featherweight debut.|
|Loss||9–3 (1)||Paul Reed||TKO (punches)||The Zone FC 8||February 26, 2011||2||3:28||Gothenburg, Sweden|
|Win||9–2 (1)||Graham Turner||Decision (unanimous)||Superior Challenge 6||October 29, 2010||3||5:00||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||8–2 (1)||Martin Begley||Submission (scissor choke)||Vision Fighting Championship 1||August 28, 2010||1||4:28||Karlstad Municipality, Sweden|
|Win||7–2 (1)||Ivan Buchinger||Decision (unanimous)||Battle of Botnia 2||December 12, 2009||3||5:00||Umeå, Sweden|
|Win||6–2 (1)||Peter Mettler||TKO (punches)||Superior Challenge 4||October 31, 2009||1||3:42||Stockholm, Sweden|
|NC||5–2 (1)||Felipe Enomoto||No Contest (overturned)||Gods of War 5: Empathy||September 12, 2009||3||5:00||Baumholder, Germany||Originally a decision for Enomoto, result overturned.|
|Win||5–2||Dominique Stetefeld||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||La Onda Fight Night 2||May 23, 2009||3||5:00||Magdeburg, Germany|
|Win||4–2||Grzegorz Tredowski||Decision (unanimous)||United Glory 10: The Battle of Arnhem||November 9, 2008||3||5:00||Arnhem, Netherlands|
|Loss||3–2||Darin Hughes||TKO (punches)||Superior Challenge 1||April 5, 2008||2||4:10||Stockholm, Sweden||Lightweight debut.|
|Win||3–1||Jukka Kuitunen||Decision (unanimous)||Shooto Finland: Chicago Collision III||November 17, 2007||2||5:00||Lahti, Finland|
|Win||2–1||Raymond Jarman||Submission (triangle choke)||United Glory 5: Stronger||September 9, 2007||2||N/A||Amersfoort, Netherlands|
|Win||1–1||Jaroslav Poborsky||Decision (unanimous)||Gods of War 1: Rise of the Warriors||July 28, 2007||3||5:00||Erdesbach, Germany||Welterweight debut.|
|Loss||0–1||Dion Staring||TKO (corner stoppage)||United Glory 3: Upside Down||May 20, 2007||2||2:52||Amersfoort, Netherlands||Light Heavyweight bout.|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|3 matches||2 wins||1 loss|
|Loss||2-1||Dennis Bermudez||Submission (guillotine choke)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller||1||3:12||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Semi-finals.|
|Win||2–0||Dustin Neace||Decision (majority)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller||2||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Quarter-finals.|
|Win||1–0||Brian Pearman||KO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller||1||4:17||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Preliminary bout.|
Amateur mixed martial arts record
|Amateur record breakdown|
|3 matches||3 wins||0 losses|
|Win||3–0||Henrik Olsen||Decision (unanimous)||Shooters MMA: Frederikssund Brawl 2||May 27, 2006||3||5:00||Frederikssund, Denmark|
|Win||2–0||Arash Dastnai||Decision (unanimous)||Shooters MMA: Fightergalla 2||October 22, 2005||3||5:00||Odense, Denmark|
|Win||1–0||Arild Skagseth||Decision (unanimous)||Cage Challenge 2||June 4, 2005||1||5:00||Stockholm, Sweden|
- "Fight Card - TUF 18 Live Finale on FOX Sports 1". UFC.com. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- "Akira Corassani - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- http://mma.xtremetweet.com/Akira_Corassani[permanent dead link] - MMA Xtreme Tweet Retrieved April 22, 2013.
- "Hamidreza Khorassani MMA Stats". Sherdog.com. Retrieved October 26, 2011.
- "Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 14 cast announced for 'Team Miller vs Team Bisping' on Sept. 21". MMAMania.com. Retrieved October 26, 2011.
- "Episode No. 3 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 14: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller'". MMAJunkie.com. Archived from the original on December 8, 2011. Retrieved October 26, 2011.
- "Episode No. 4 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 14: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller'". MMAJunkie.com. Archived from the original on October 16, 2011. Retrieved October 26, 2011.
- "Episode No. 5 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 14: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller'". MMAJunkie.com. Archived from the original on December 28, 2011. Retrieved October 26, 2011.
- "'TUF 14' cast member Akira Khorassani: 'If I tapped, my knee wouldn't even be stable'". MMAJunkie.com. Archived from the original on July 15, 2012. Retrieved October 26, 2011.
- "TUF 14 add 145ers Brimage-Bass, Siler-Clopton, Caraway-Neace". mmajunkie.com. December 1, 2011.
- "Akira Corassani vs. Jason Young added to UFC on FUEL TV 2". MMAJunkie.com. Archived from the original on January 12, 2012. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "Injured Akira Corassani out of UFC on FUEL TV 2 in Sweden". mmajunkie.com. February 16, 2012. Archived from the original on November 9, 2012. Retrieved February 16, 2012.
- "UFC heading to Nottingham Sept. 29 with Ogle-Corassani". mmajunkie. Archived from the original on June 15, 2012. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- Bohn, Mike (January 4, 2013). "Robbie Peralta vs. Akira Corassani featherweight bout added to February's UFC 156". mmamania.com.
- John Morgan and Steven Marrocco (January 20, 2013). "Akira Corassani vs. Robbie Peralta targeted for UFC on FUEL TV 9 in Sweden". MMAJunkie.com.
- "Mike Brown vs. Akira Corassani set for UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 in Boston". mmajunkie.com. May 31, 2013.
- Staff (July 1, 2013). "Akira Corassani off UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 card, Steven Siler meets Mike Brown". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- "Maximo Blanco meets Akira Corassani at TUF 18 Finale in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. September 28, 2013.
- "Akira Corassani's nose broken in five places due to illegal knee". mmajunkie.com. December 1, 2013.
- Staff (February 28, 2014). "Dustin Poirier meets Akira Corassani at TUF Nations Finale". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved February 28, 2014.
- "TUF Nations Finale bonuses: Poirier-Corassani earn Fight of the Night". mmajunkie.com. April 16, 2014.
- Jesse Holland (August 9, 2014). "Akira Corasani vs. Chan Sung Jung official for UFC Fight Night 53 on Oct. 4 in Sweden". mmamania.com. Retrieved August 9, 2014.
- LeeLi (August 26, 2014). "Korean Zombie Chan Sung Jung out of Oct. 4th match with Akira Corassani due to injury". mma-in-asia.com. Retrieved August 26, 2013.
- Staff (August 28, 2014). "Max Holloway in for 'Zombie' vs. Akira Corassani at UFC Fight Night 53 in Sweden". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved August 28, 2014.
- Lee W (December 4, 2014). "Akira Corassani vs Sam Sicilia joins UFC on FOX 14 lineup". mmacrazytv.com. Archived from the original on February 17, 2015. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- "Akira Corassani announces MMA retirement following UFC on FOX 14 loss". mmajunkie.com. January 26, 2015.
- "TUF Nations Finale bonuses: Poirier, Corassani, Noons, Jimmo earn $50K awards". sherdog.com. April 16, 2014.
- "MMAJunkie's Fight of the Month for April 2014". mmajunkie.com. May 3, 2014.