UFC on Fox: Gustafsson vs. Johnson
|UFC on Fox: Gustafsson vs. Johnson|
The poster for UFC on Fox: Gustafsson vs. Johnson.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||January 24, 2015|
|Total gate||$3.1 million|
This was the fourth event that the UFC has held in Sweden and the first to take place in a different arena as the previous events were held at Ericsson Globe Arena. It was also the second stadium venue to host a UFC event after UFC 129, which took place at the Rogers Centre in Canada.
The event was headlined by a light heavyweight bout between Alexander Gustafsson and Anthony Johnson. The UFC subsequently announced that the winner of the main event will receive a title shot against UFC Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones. Initially, the UFC was preparing a main event between Gustafsson and Rashad Evans. On November 5, Evans announced he would not be ready during that time frame as he was still rehabilitating from a lingering knee injury.
For the event to be broadcast live during Prime time hours on the east coast of North America, the main card began at 2:00 am (January 25) local time in Stockholm (CET), with a full preliminary card beginning at approximately 11:00 pm (January 24) local time.
Yan Cabral was expected to face Mairbek Taisumov at the event. On December 30, Cabral was pulled from the fight for undisclosed reasons and was replaced by promotional newcomer Anthony Christodoulou.
Paul Redmond missed weight on his first attempt at the weigh ins, coming in at 149 pounds. He was given additional time to make the featherweight limit, but made no attempt to cut further. Instead, he was fined 20 percent of his purse, which went to Mirsad Bektić.
The event had the richest live gate in the company’s history on the continent at $3.1 million. It also registered the UFC's second biggest attendance in history as 30,000 fans witnessed UFC's first visit to a European stadium.
|Main Card (Fox)|
|Light Heavyweight||Anthony Johnson||def.||Alexander Gustafsson||TKO (punches)||1||2:15||[a]|
|Middleweight||Gegard Mousasi||def.||Dan Henderson||TKO (punches)||1||1:10|
|Light Heavyweight||Ryan Bader||def.||Phil Davis||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Sam Sicilia||def.||Akira Corassani||KO (punch)||1||3:26|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Welterweight||Albert Tumenov||def.||Nico Musoke||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Kenny Robertson||def.||Sultan Aliev||TKO (punches)||1||2:42|
|Featherweight||Makwan Amirkhani||def.||Andy Ogle||TKO (flying knee and punches)||1||0:08|
|Light Heavyweight||Nikita Krylov||def.||Stanislav Nedkov||Submission (standing guillotine choke)||1||1:24|
|Lightweight||Mairbek Taisumov||def.||Anthony Christodoulou||KO (punches)||2||0:38|
|Catchweight (149 lb)||Mirsad Bektić||def.||Paul Redmond||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–25)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Heavyweight||Viktor Pešta||def.||Konstantin Erokhin||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Flyweight||Neil Seery||def.||Chris Beal||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
- UFC Light Heavyweight Championship title eliminator.
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: None awarded
- Performance of the Night: Anthony Johnson, Gegard Mousasi, Kenny Robertson and Makwan Amirkhani
- Staff (2015-01-24). "UFC on FOX 14 confirmed as largest European gate in promotion's history". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-25.
- Staff (2014-11-12). "Gustafsson vs. Johnson headlines Stockholm event in January". ufc.com. Retrieved 2014-11-12.
- Dann Stupp (2014-11-12). "Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson slated for UFC on FOX 14 in Sweden". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-11-12.
- UFC on Fox (2015-01-04). "The winner of Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson will definitely get Jon Jones next". twitter.com. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- Holland, Jesse (October 20, 2014). "Alexander Gustafsson vs. Rashad Evans in the works for UFC main event on Jan. 24 in Sweden". mmamania.com. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- "Rashad Evans out of proposed fight with Alexander Gustafsson in January". foxsports.com. November 5, 2014. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- Staff (December 30, 2014). "Mairbek Taisumov gets new opponent for UFC on FOX 14 in Sweden". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- Staff (January 12, 2015). "Paul Redmond replaces Alan Omer at UFC on FOX 14 in Stockholm". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- Staff (January 23, 2015). "UFC on FOX 14 weigh-in results: Gustafsson (205), 'Rumble' (204) on weight". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved January 23, 2015.
- "UFC on Fox: Gustafsson vs. Johnson". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2014-11-10.
- Staff (2015-01-24). "UFC on FOX 14 bonuses: Who joined 'Rumble' Johnson in getting $50,000 richer?". mmajunkie.com.
|This article related to mixed martial arts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|