|This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (January 2009)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KL-32 or KL-04|
Andhakaranazhy (Andhakaranazhi) is a coastal village located 4 km west of Pattanakkad under Pattanakkad Panchayath under Cherthala Taluk. It is famous for its beach which draws a number of domestic and international tourists.
An azhy similar to an isthmus, is a sand sedimentation formed by the constant action of seawater where the backwaters merge into the sea. Two barges having large mechanized shutters are erected near the north and south end of the azhy. These shutters, operated by traction motors, help to regulate the flow of saline water entering into the neighboring paddy fields of Thuravoor, Pattanakkad, Ezhupunna, and Kuthiathode panchayats connected to thbackwaters]]. Water is released into the sea by lifting these shutters to prevent flooding in these paddy fields during excessive rains. A tall and majestic lighthouse near the azhy stands like a signal tower guiding the seamen during night. This lighthouse was open to the public during Onam, but is restricted now. This place is also one of the popular locations for Malayalam film shoots.
A new bridge is constructed near the southern barge across the isthmus lake. An aerial walkway is also constructed, extending up to the sea wall. Standing on the walkway a splendid panoramic view of sun set can be enjoyed. The walkway ends up to the new tourist complex. A large number of localities and passing tourists visit the beach during the weekends.
Distance to Andhakaranazhy
|New Delhi||2569||40 hours|
|Thiruvananthapuram||187||3 hours 45 minutes|
Places of worship
- St. Xavier’s Church, Azheeckal
- Manakkodam Sree Mahadevi Khandakarna Temple
- Chellappuram Sri Khandakarna temple
- Al Furqan Salafi Juma Masjid
- St. Francis Church is the major Christian church in this area, and one of the oldest churches in Alappuzha diocese. The parish conducted the famous "Abhishekagni" convention by Fr. Xavier Khan Vattayil in its centenary year of 2013 and again in 2014.
- The Vyathara Trimurthi temple, a very rare and old temple in Kerala, dedicated to tri-gods trimurthi Lord Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma consecrated in a single sreekovil is located in Andhakaranazhy.The mulla sowrupam was firstly situated in goa ;secondly in Kodugallor desham and thirdly in viyathara desham.The most important function in the temble Thripurasuradhahanum it will be conducted for Dhanu 15 in malayalam month. The famous song 'Unnyi nambinayee' actually tamil is dedicated to Kodungallur Bhagavathy Temple.In deeply relation relation about the kodugaloor kurubhabhagavathi temble. The Kandakarana temple is also located near the Trimurthi temple. The Subramanya temple dedicated to Lord Murugan is located near the lighthouse.
- B.B.M L.P School
- L.F.M.L.P School pattom
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Andhakaranazhi Beach.|