|Air Chief Marshal
PVSM, AVSM, VM, ADC
|Born||26 December 1954
Baidyabati, West Bengal, India
|Service/branch||Indian Air Force|
|Years of service||1975-|
|Rank||Air Chief Marshal|
|Commands held||AOC-in-C, Western Air Command
AOC-in-C, Central Air Command
47 Squadron IAF
|Awards|| Param Vishist Seva Medal (PVSM)
Ati Vishist Seva Medal (AVSM)
Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha (Bengali: অরূপ রাহা), PVSM, AVSM, VM, ADC is the 21st and current Chief of the Air Staff of the Indian Air Force A fighter pilot who has logged over 3,400 hours of flying experience, He previously served as the Vice Chief of the Air Staff of the Indian Air Force. Prior to that, ACM Raha served as the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief (AOC-in-C) of the Western Air Command. and that of the Central Air Command. Air chief marshal Raha has also served as the Senior Air Staff Officer at Headquarters, Western Air Command and Deputy Commandant at Air Force Academy, Hyderabad.
Early life and education
Air Chief Marshal Raha was born on 26 December 1954 in the city of Baidyabati, an area under the Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority which is in the Indian State of West Bengal. His father was a reputed doctor. Raha was educated at Sainik School Purulia (1970 batch).
Air Chief Marshal Raha was trained at the National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla, India, from July 1970 to June 1973, and at the time of graduating from NDA in June 1973, he was awarded the Gold Medal for being the best cadet of the 44th NDA course. Subsequently he did flying training on HT-2 and Kiran ( HJT-16 ) at the Air Force Academy, Hyderabad, before being commissioned into the Indian Air Force as a MiG-21 fighter pilot in Dec 1974.
Air Chief Marshal Raha has commanded a MiG-29 fighter squadron and two frontline airbases along India's Western front. Air Chief Marshal Raha has held many important staff appointments in India and abroad.
Following are some of the notable appointments held by Air Chief Marshal Raha :
Notable Appointments Held
|Name of Appointment||Rank||Period|
|Chief of Air Staff||Air Chief Marshall||December 31, 2013 to present|
|Vice Chief of Air Staff||Air Marshall||July 1, 2013 to 31 Dec 2013|
|Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Western Air Command of the IAF||Air Marshall||June 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013|
|Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Central Air Command of the IAF||Air Marshall||02 Nov 2011 to 31 May 2012|
|Senior Air Staff Officer at Western Air Command||Air Vice Marshall||till 01 Nov 2011|
|Directing Staff at Flying Instructors School,Tambaram||Unknown||Unknown|
|Commanding Officer of No: 47 Squadron IAF Black Archers||Wing Commander||8 June 1992 to 5 June 1994|
Appointment as Chief of IAF
On 29 October 2013, the Government of India appointed Air Marshal Raha, who was the Vice Chief of Air Staff at that time, to be the next Chief of the Air Staff of the Indian Air Force. He took the charge on 31 December 2013, when the Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne retired.
- Flight hours: more than 3,400.
- Aircraft flown: MiG-21, MiG-29, Il-76, Dassault Rafale (winner of the MMRCA competition) and HAL HT-2.
Awards and decorations
- "Arup Raha takes over as IAF chief - The Times of India". The Times Of India. 2013-12-31.
- "Arup Raha takes over as IAF chief". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2013-12-31. Retrieved 31 December 2013.
- "Central Air Command". Indianairforce.nic.in. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "Arup Raha takes over as senior Air Staff Officer at WAC - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2010-04-02. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "Air Marshal Arup Raha to take over as IAF Vice Chief". http://www.thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 2013-07-03.
- Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha's official profile
- Jayanta Gupta (January 26, 2012). "Sainik School in Purulia turns 50, Air Marshal to be chief guest - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "Press Information Bureau English Releases". Pib.nic.in. 2011-11-02. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "Air Marshal Arup Raha named next IAF chief - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arup Raha.|
Norman Anil Kumar Browne
|Chief of the Air Staff (India)
2013 - current
|Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee
2014 - current