|Born||August 1, 1948|
Ramat Gan, Israel
|Occupation||Film producer, businessman|
Avi Arad (/
Early life and career
Arad was born and raised in Ramat Gan, Israel, to a Jewish family. The son of Holocaust survivors from Poland, he grew up reading Superman and Spider-Man comics translated into Hebrew. In 1965, he was conscripted into the Israel Defense Forces (IDF). He fought in and was wounded in the 1967 Six-Day War, and spent 15 days recuperating. Arad finished his military service in 1968.
In 1970, Arad moved to the United States and enrolled at Hofstra University to study industrial management. He worked as a truck driver and Hebrew teacher to put himself through college, and graduated with a BBA in 1972.
Along with Israeli-American Toy Biz co-owner Isaac Perlmutter, Avi Arad came into conflict with Carl Icahn and Ron Perelman over control of Marvel Comics in the wake of its 1996 bankruptcy. In the end, Arad and Perlmutter came out on top, with Toy Biz taking over Marvel Comics in a complicated deal that included obtaining the rights to Spider-Man and other superheroes that Marvel had sold earlier. He was involved in Marvel's emergence from bankruptcy and the expansion of the company's profile through licensing and movies.
On May 31, 2006, Arad resigned his various Marvel positions, including his leadership of Marvel Studios to form his own production company, Arad Productions. Although he is still producing projects for Marvel, his first feature outside Marvel was the August 2007 film Bratz. Future ventures include: manga adaptation Ghost in the Shell; an adaption of Brandon Mull's best-seller teenage fantasy, Fablehaven; an adaption of James Patterson's award-winning teenage novel Maximum Ride; the adaptations of two Sony PlayStation properties, Uncharted and infamous, and an adaptation of Hideo Kojima's video game Metal Gear Solid.
- King Arthur and the Knights of Justice (1993)
- Double Dragon (1993)
- The Bots Master (1993)
- Iron Man (1994)
- Fantastic Four (1994)
- Spider-Man (1994)
- The Incredible Hulk (1996)
- Generation X (1996)
- Silver Surfer (1998)
- Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (1998)
- Blade (1998)
- Spider-Man Unlimited (1999)
- The Avengers: United They Stand (1999)
- X-Men Evolution (2000)
- X-Men (2000)
- Blade II (2002)
- Spider-Man (2002)
- Daredevil (2003)
- X2 (2003)
- Hulk (2003)
- The Punisher (2004)
- Spider-Man 2 (2004)
- Blade: Trinity (2004)
- Elektra (2005)
- Man-Thing (2005)
- Fantastic Four (2005)
- X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
- Ghost Rider (2007)
- Spider-Man 3 (2007)
- Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)
- Bratz (2007)
- Iron Man (2008)
- The Incredible Hulk (2008)
- Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2011)
- The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
- Robosapien: Rebooted (2013)
- Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures (2013–15)
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)
- Air Bound (2015)
- Kong: King of the Apes (2016–present)
- Tarzan and Jane (2017)
- Ghost in the Shell (2017)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
- Super Monsters (2017)
- executive producer
- Super Monsters (2017)
- Venom (2018)
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
- "Marvel Announces New Independent Producer Deal with Avi Arad", May 31, 2006 press release, via Ain't It Cool News
- Bowles, Scott (June 5, 2003). "Marvel's chief: A force outside, 'a kid inside'". USA Today.
- Hofstra University: Frank G. Zarb School of Business - Faces of Success: Avi Arad '72 Archived May 17, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Hennig, Amy (30 June 2009). "Uncharted 2 Live Chat with Naughty Dog". The PlayStation Blog. Sony Computer Entertainment America. Retrieved 30 July 2009.
We're really excited about the development of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune as a movie -- we've been working with Arad Productions for the last year-and-a-half or so
- Fernandez, Jay A. (28 July 2009). "Scribe takes on 'inFAMOUS'". The Hollywood Reporter. Nielsen Business Media. Archived from the original on 9 January 2010. Retrieved 30 July 2009.
Avi Arad and Ari Arad will produce.
- Wales, George (30 August 2012). "'Metal Gear Solid' movie confirmed". Total Film. Future Publishing Limited.
- "Spider-Man Producer Avi Arad Becomes I.G. USA Chair". Anime News Network. Anime News Network. 25 August 2010. Archived from the original on 27 August 2010. Retrieved 30 August 2010.