Before You Accuse Me
|"Before You Accuse Me"|
|Single by Bo Diddley|
|A-side||"Say! Boss Man"|
|Format||10" 78 rpm & 7" 45 rpm record|
|Recorded||August 15, 1957|
|Genre||Blues, rhythm and blues|
|Label||Checker (Cat. no. 878)|
|Writer(s)||Ellas McDaniel aka Bo Diddley|
|Bo Diddley singles chronology|
"Before You Accuse Me" (also known as "Before You Accuse Me (Take a Look at Yourself)" is a blues song written and recorded by rock and roll icon Bo Diddley in 1957. It was released as the B-side to Diddley's "Say Bossman" and was included on his self-titled debut album in 1958. Backing Diddley (vocal and guitar) are Jody Williams (guitar), Willie Dixon (bass), and Frank Kirkland (drums).
Eric Clapton versions
"Before You Accuse Me" was recorded twice by Eric Clapton: an electric version on his 1989 album Journeyman and a live acoustic version for the MTV Unplugged series, later to be released on his 1992 Grammy winning album Unplugged. The Journeyman electric version reached #9 on Billboard’s Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks in 1990. The electric version, recorded in 1989, features Robert Cray on guitar performing the second solo.
Both the electric and acoustic versions of "Before You Accuse Me" were included on Clapton's various setlists over the years, from the Knebworth charity show of 1990 to the North American and European Summer tours of 2008. The song was also featured on the 2009 Australasian/British and 2010 American tours; it was included on the 2011 Far-Eastern, American and British tours. Clapton resurrected the song in 2014 and 2015.
Creedence Clearwater Revival included a cover of this song on their 1970 album Cosmo's Factory. Creedence Clearwater Revival had previously recorded the song in 1968 during the recording sessions for their self-titled debut album; however, this outtake version was not released until its inclusion on the album’s 40th Anniversary Edition CD as a bonus track.
Blues-rock guitar pioneer Lonnie Mack recorded this song on the 1983 double album (originally bootleg, later released on Flying V Records) Live at Coco's.
- Strong, Martin Charles (2002). The Great Rock Discography. The National Academies. p. 302. ISBN 978-1-84195-312-0.
- "Before You Accuse Me (Take a Look at Yourself) - Eric Clapton | Song Info". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "Eric Clapton | Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- Mark Deming. "Live - The 13th Floor Elevators | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine. "Cosmo's Factory - Creedence Clearwater Revival | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "Search for "before you accuse me"". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine (2013-01-29). "'Til Your River Runs Dry - Eric Burdon | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-07-26.