Brain Stew / Jaded
|"Brain Stew" / "Jaded"|
|Single by Green Day|
|from the album Insomniac|
|Released||July 3, 1996|
|Format||CD single, cassette, vinyl|
|Songwriter(s)||Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, and Tré Cool|
|Producer(s)||Rob Cavallo and Green Day|
|Green Day singles chronology|
"Brain Stew" / "Jaded" are two songs by the American punk rock band Green Day. They are the tenth and eleventh tracks and third single from the group's fourth studio album, Insomniac. The two songs were released as one single, as the songs are transitional - "Brain Stew" segues directly into "Jaded". After 9/11, "Brain Stew" was placed on Clear Channel's list of post-9/11 inappropriate titles. The song "Brain Stew" is about insomnia.
|1.||"Brain Stew" / "Jaded"||4:43|
|2.||"Do Da Da"||1:30|
|3.||"Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) (Demo Version)"||2:03|
|4.||"Brain Stew" (clean radio edit; faded ending)||3:13|
Vinyl box set
|1.||"Brain Stew" / "Jaded"||4:43|
|1.||"Brain Stew" / "Jaded" (live at Sporthall, Prague, March 26, 1996)||4:27|
- A live version featured on Bowling Bowling Bowling Parking Parking recorded March 26, 1996 at Sporthalle, Prague, Czech Republic. Later featured on the Vinyl Box Set version of the "Brain Stew / Jaded" single.
- Another live version on Bullet in a Bible.
- A remix was made for the soundtrack of the 1998 movie Godzilla.
- Rivers Cuomo did a cover of the song on Sessions @AOL in 2009. The performance was recorded for his band, Weezer's EP called Happy Record Store Day
- A live version found on Bowling Bowling Bowling Parking Parking. (recorded March 26, 1996 at Sporthalle, Prague, Czech Republic)
- A live version was performed during the Milton Keynes concert recorded for "Bullet in a Bible" but was omitted from the CD/DVD
"Good Riddance (Time of your Life)" This single features a demo version of the Nimrod track Good Riddance time of your life. this is demo is played in Gb rather than G Standard on the Nimrod version.
The "Brain Stew" part of the song has been played at almost every single one of Green Day's concerts since its release. There have been several notable performances of this song. For instance, the band played the song in front of 130,000 people at the Milton Keynes National Bowl for the live DVD–CD Bullet in a Bible. Another notable performance was when the group performed it at Goat Island in Sydney, Australia on October 19, 2000, where Armstrong mixed up the verses by accident.
The music video for "Brain Stew/Jaded" consists of two parts: The "Brain Stew" portion of the video is sepia toned and depicts the band lying on a couch being pulled through a landfill by a bulldozer, interspersed with shots of Hula dancers, mealworms, and an old lady with a chalkboard. When the song transitions to "Jaded", the video transitions to normal color and fast shots of the band playing the song. The video was directed by Kevin Kerslake.
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||35|
|Canada Rock/Alternative (RPM)||1|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||28|
|US Radio Songs (Billboard)||35|
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||8|
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||3|
- Green Day: International Supervideos! (2001) (V)
- Kevin Kerslake - IMDb
- "The ARIA Australian Top 100 Singles Chart – Week Ending 19 May 1996". Imgur.com (original document published by ARIA). Retrieved August 11, 2017. N.B. The HP column displays the highest peak reached.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 2913." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- "Top RPM Rock/Alternative Tracks: Issue 2883." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- "Green Day: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company. Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- "Green Day – Chart history" Billboard Radio Songs for Green Day. Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- "Green Day – Chart history" Billboard Mainstream Rock Songs for Green Day. Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- "Green Day – Chart history" Billboard Alternative Songs for Green Day. Retrieved November 12, 2016.