Breeders' Cup Turf
|Grade I race|
|Website||Breeders' Cup Turf|
|Distance||1 1⁄2 miles|
|Qualification||3-year-olds and up|
4-year-olds & up: 126 lb (57.2 kg)
Northern Hemisphere 3-year-olds: 122 lb (55.3 kg)
Southern Hemisphere 3-year-olds: 117 lb (53.1 kg)
The Breeders' Cup Turf is a Weight for Age Thoroughbred horse race on turf for three-year-olds and up. It is held annually at a different racetrack in the United States or Canada as part of the Breeders' Cup World Championships. The race's current title sponsor is Emirates Airlines.
The forerunner for this race was the Washington, D.C. International Stakes at Laurel Park Racecourse. Inaugurated in 1952, it was raced on turf at 1 1⁄2 miles and drew the best horses from North America and Europe. A winner of this race was the American legend Kelso, albeit on his fourth attempt, after being second three times in a row.
Beginning in 2007, the Breeders' Cup developed the "Breeders' Cup Challenge" a series of races in each division that allotted automatic qualifying bids to winners of defined races. Each of the thirteen divisions has between two and twelve of these "Win and You're In" qualifying races.
In the Breeders' Cup Turf Division, runners are limited to 14 with up to eleven automatic berths. Note though that one horse may win multiple challenge races, while other challenge winners will not be entered in the Breeders' Cup for a variety of reasons such as injury or travel considerations.
The 2017 "Win and You're In" races are:
- the Gran Premio 25 de Mayo, a Group 1 race run in May at Hipódromo de San Isidro in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- the Grande Prêmio Brasil, a Grade 1 race run in June at Hipódromo da Gávea in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- the Takarazuka Kinen, a Grade 1 race run in June at Hanshin Racecourse in Japan
- the King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes, a Group 1 race run in July at Ascot Racecourse in England
- the Arlington Million, a Grade 1 race run in August at Arlington Park in Illinois
- the Juddmonte International, a Group 1 race run in August at York Racecourse in England
- the Del Mar Handicap, a Grade 2 race run in August at Del Mar Racetrack in California
- the Sword Dancer Invitational, a Grade 1 race run in August at Saratoga Race Course in upstate New York
- the Grosser Preis von Baden, a Group 1 race run in September at Baden-Baden racecourse in Germany
- the Irish Champion Stakes, a Group 1 race run in September at Leopardstown Racecourse in Ireland
- the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic, a Grade 1 race run in October at Belmont Park in New York
Most wins by a jockey:
Most wins by a trainer:
- 6 - Aidan O'Brien (2002, 2003, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016)
Most wins by an owner:
† Indicates filly/mare
- Breeders' Cup Turf "top three finishers" and starters
- Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships
- American Thoroughbred Racing top Attended Events
- "Del Mar to Host Five Breeders' Cup Challenge Races During Summer Meeting". www.dmtc.com. Retrieved 12 April 2017.