Brown Township, Delaware County, Ohio
|Brown Township, Delaware County, Ohio|
Fields along Veley Road
Location of Brown Township in Delaware County
|• Total||25.7 sq mi (66.5 km2)|
|• Land||25.1 sq mi (65.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.4 km2)|
|Elevation||942 ft (287 m)|
|• Density||56/sq mi (21.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086044|
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Oxford Township - north
- Peru Township, Morrow County - northeast corner
- Kingston Township - east
- Berkshire Township - southeast corner
- Berlin Township - south
- Delaware Township - southwest
- Troy Township - northwest
A small, uninhabited part of the city of Delaware, the county seat of Delaware County, is located in southwestern Brown Township, and the unincorporated community of Kilbourne lies in the township's east.
Name and history
Brown Township was created about 1826.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Emergency medical services in Brown Township are provided by the Delaware County EMS.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Brown township, Delaware County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 4, 2015.
- History of Delaware County and Ohio. O. L. Baskin & Company. 1880. p. 551.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Delaware County EMS