Concord Township, Delaware County, Ohio
|Concord Township, Delaware County, Ohio|
Location of Concord Township in Delaware County
|• Total||22.3 sq mi (57.8 km2)|
|• Land||21.1 sq mi (54.7 km2)|
|• Water||1.2 sq mi (3.1 km2)|
|Elevation||922 ft (281 m)|
|• Density||440/sq mi (169.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086045|
Concord Township is one of the eighteen townships of Delaware County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 4,507 people in the township, 4,088 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township. The 2010 census found the township population to be 9,294.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships and city:
- Delaware Township - northeast
- Liberty Township - east
- Dublin - south
- Jerome Township, Union County - southwest
- Millcreek Township, Union County - west
- Scioto Township - northwest
Three municipalities are located in Concord Township:
- Part of the city of Delaware, the county seat of Delaware County, in the northeast
- Part of the city of Dublin, in the south
- The village of Shawnee Hills, in the southeast
The unincorporated community of Bellepoint lies in the township's north.
- The Scioto River bisects the township from north to south.
- O'Shaughnessy Reservoir is on the Scioto River and was created by the O'Shaughnessy Dam, completed in 1925, in southern Concord Township.
- Mill Creek enters the townships in the northwest panhandle and joins the Scioto River at the northern end of O'Shaughnessy Reservoir.
- Eversole Run drains much of western Concord Township emptying into O'Shaughnessy Reservoir north of Shawnee Hills.
- U.S. Route 42 crosses the northern section of Concord Township from northeast to southwest just south of Bellpoint.
- Ohio Route 257 is a major north/south route through the township. OH 257 follows the east shore of O'Shaughnassey Reservoir, crosses the Scioto River with US 42 and continues north following the west bank of the Scioto River. The road passes through Bellpoint.
- Ohio Route 745 is the other major north/south route through the township. OH 745 follows predominantly along the west shore of O'Saughnassey Reservoir from Shawnee Hill to US 42 within the township.
Name and history
Concord Township was formed in 1819.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Primary emergency medical services and fire suppression are provided by Concord Township Fire and Rescue.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Delaware County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates[permanent dead link] Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Concord township, Delaware County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 4, 2015.
- History of Delaware County and Ohio. O. L. Baskin & Company. 1880. p. 491.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Concord Township Fire Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.