Thompson Township, Delaware County, Ohio
|Thompson Township, Delaware County, Ohio|
Location of Thompson Township in Delaware County
|• Total||20.3 sq mi (52.6 km2)|
|• Land||20.2 sq mi (52.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||919 ft (280 m)|
|• Density||34/sq mi (13.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086058|
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Prospect Township, Marion County - north
- Radnor Township - east
- Scioto Township - south
- Leesburg Township, Union County - southwest
- Claibourne Township, Union County - northwest
No municipalities are located in Thompson Township.
Name and history
Thompson Township was founded in 1820. Thompson is the name of an early government surveyor.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Thompson township, Delaware County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 7, 2015.
- Delaware County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- History of Delaware County and Ohio. O. L. Baskin & Company. 1880. p. 543.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.