The water tower in Cabery IL.
Location of Cabery in Ford County, Illinois.
Location of Illinois in the United States
|County||Ford and Kankakee|
|• Total||0.34 sq mi (0.89 km2)|
|• Land||0.34 sq mi (0.89 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||700 ft (200 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||715.12/sq mi (276.48/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
Cabery was founded about 1878 and was named after John R. Caberry, a Chicago merchant.
Cabery is located at .
According to the 2010 census, Cabery has a total area of 0.34 square miles (0.88 km2), all land.
The county line between Kankakee County and Ford County runs right through the middle of town on Main Street.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 263 people, 99 households, and 70 families residing in the village. The population density was 751.1 people per square mile (290.1/km2). There were 118 housing units at an average density of 337.0 per square mile (130.2/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 97.34% White, 1.90% from other races, and 0.76% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.28% of the population.
There were 99 households, out of which 34.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.6% were married couples living together, 8.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.3% were non-families. 23.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 13.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.66 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the village, the population was spread out, with 29.3% under the age of 18, 5.7% from 18 to 24, 30.8% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 14.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females, there were 89.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.9 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $37,000, and the median income for a family was $39,375. Males had a median income of $36,719 versus $21,250 for females. The per capita income for the village was $14,839. About 7.8% of families and 11.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.1% of those under the age of eighteen and 13.8% of those 65 or over.
Commerce in Cabery includes a post office, a small hardware store, the Cabery Bar and Grill restaurant, and the Cabery Fertilizer Company. There is also a grain elevator located on the Kankakee County side of Cabery.
Cabery has a park with basketball courts, a playground, and a lighted softball field with a press box.
There is also a small pond called "the Clay Hole," which, although unsuitable for swimming, is a popular fishing pond during the warm months. Both bluegills and small Largemouth bass can be caught there.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 14, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Callary, Edward. 2009. Place Names of Illinois. Champaign: University of Illinois Press, p. 53.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2020-02-13. Retrieved 2015-08-02. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)