California Area Public Library
|Branch of||Washington County Library System|
|Size||15,242 items (2008)|
|Access and use|
|Population served||10,640 (2018)|
|Director||Claudia L. Bennett (2019)|
Pennsylvania Railroad Passenger Station
|NRHP reference #||79002349|
|Added to NRHP||June 19, 1979|
The California Area Public Library is the public library serving California, Pennsylvania and is a branch of the Washington County Library System. The library is located in the former Pennsylvania Railroad Passenger Station, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
The California Area Public Library was founded in 1935, but moved to its current location in the former train station on May 24, 1958. The library was closed in 1965 because of the lack of financial support. A year after the library building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 19, 1979, the Washington County Library System was formed, which was joined by the California Area Public Library.
- "2008 Library Statistics", p. 55.
- "2008 Library Statistics", p. 54.
- "NPS Focus". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. Retrieved July 8, 2010.
- "Pennsylvania Railroad Passenger Station". Landmark Registry - Public Landmark. Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation. 2008. Archived from the original on 2012-03-14. Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- "California Boatyards - PHMC Historical Markers" (Database search). Historical Marker Database. Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
- Canning and Zacher, § 8.
- "Library History". California Area Public Library. April 2010. Archived from the original on September 21, 2010. Retrieved July 8, 2010.
- California Area Public Library
- "2008 Library Statistics" (PDF). Harrisburg: Pennsylvania Department of Education. April 2010. Retrieved July 8, 2010.
- Channing, Elsie; Zacher, Susan M (1979). "Pennsylvania Railroad Passenger Station" (PDF). National Register of Historic Places Inventory—Nomination Form. Retrieved July 8, 2010.