Canadian Cat Association
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The group's logo
|Purpose||to "promote the welfare of all cats in Canada"|
The Canadian Cat Association (French: Association Féline Canadienne, CCA-AFC) is a non-profit organization in Canada whose mission is to "promote the welfare of all cats in Canada", "maintain a registry of pure-bred cats in Canada", and "further the improvement of all breeds of cats in Canada". Although a small group, they are recognized around the world for the quality of their database.[unreliable source?]
In general, the association aims to promote cats and their well-being. Their goals include promoting responsible cat ownership and creating a government lobby group. There are many clubs across Canada affiliated with the Canadian Cat Association.
The association provides breeder referrals and runs various shows across Canada. They also set breed standards, as well as train and license judges for cat shows in Canada. They run various cat shows across Canada, mostly in Ontario and Quebec. The shows not only include classes for purebreds, but have special classes for unpedigreed cats. They also sell calendars featuring winners of their competitions, as well as publishing an annual magazine.
The following is a list of breeds recognised by the Canadian Cat Association:
- American Curl
- American Shorthair
- American Wirehair
- British Shorthair
- Colourpoint Shorthair
- Cornish Rex
- Devon Rex
- Egyptian Mau
- Foreign Burmese
- Japanese Bobtail
- Maine Coon
- Norwegian Forest Cat
- Russian Blue
- Scottish Fold
- Selkirk Rex
- Turkish Angora
- York Chocolate
- "Canadian Cat Association: About Us". Canadian Cat Association. Archived from the original on 2010-01-14. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "Peel Community Information Database: Canadian Cat Association". Peel Region. Retrieved 6 January 2010.
- "Community Information and Volunteer Centre - York Region: Canadian Cat Association". York Region. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 6 January 2010.
- "Canadian Cat Association: Mission Statement". Canadian Cat Association. Archived from the original on 2010-01-04. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-01-03. Retrieved 2009-12-31.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "List of Upcoming Cat Shows". Canadian Cat Association. Archived from the original on 2009-12-19. Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- "Household Pets". Canadian Cat Association. Archived from the original on 2009-12-28. Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- "Canadian Cat Association Online Marketplace". Canadian Cat Association. Archived from the original on 2010-01-09. Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- "Canadian Cat Association Breed Standards". Canadian Cat Association. Archived from the original on 2009-12-13. Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- Hanley, Mike (June 14, 2000). "Roxbury is tops in Persian class; Owner Maureen is happy to leave the limelight to him". The Spectator. Hamilton, Ontario. p. A.06. Retrieved 30 December 2009.
- Stackhouse, John (August 9, 1986). "SCRATCHED! CNE cancels showcase of Canada's top cats as the fur flies among feuding feline fanciers". Toronto Star. pp. A.1. Retrieved 30 December 2009.