Fédération Internationale Féline
|43 in 41 countries|
|Annette Sjödin, Dietmar Sagurski, Eric Reijers, Charles Spijker, Leo van de Haterd, Karl Preiss|
The Fédération Internationale Féline (FIFe) is a federation of cat registries. There are currently forty-three member organizations in forty one countries. Membership spans Europe, South America, and Asia. FIFe is one of the nine members of the World Cat Congress.
Founded by Marguerite Ravel, the federation was unofficially started in 1949 in Paris, France, at a meeting between the Fédération Féline Française (French Cat Federation), the Royal Cat Society of Flanders and the Società Felina Italiana (Italian Cat Society). At the organisation's first general assembly, in Ghent, Belgium, the federation was officially founded. For the occasion, all participants received a cat shaped statuette, in pink sandstone, that Marguérite Ravel had commissioned from the sculptor Jean Martel.
The original name was Fédération Internationale Féline d'Europe or FIFE. In 1972 the Brazilian Cat Club joined, making it necessary to change the Euro-centric name of the federation. The "d'Europe" was dropped, and the abbreviation was changed to FIFe.
FIFe is organized into national sub-federations (e.g. Felis Britannica in the United Kingdom) which handle pedigree registrations, cat shows and awards in each country. FIFe's Executive Board and General Assembly are supported by five commissions:
- Judges & Standard Commission
- Breeding & Registration Commission
- Show Commission
- Health & Welfare Commission
- Disciplinary Commission
Currently the FIFe recognizes 48 official breeds of cats for championship competitions. All breeds are divided into 4 categories and identified with a three-letter code, according to the Easy Mind System (EMS). The EMS is a system used by FIFe, and all its members, to easily identify cats by alphanumeric codes.
- "Fédération Internationale Féline - Members". fifeweb.org. Retrieved 2017-12-28.
- "The Members of the WCC". worldcatcongress.org. Retrieved 2017-12-30.
- "LA STORIA | ANFI". www.anfitalia.it (in Italian). Retrieved 2020-11-11.
- "Fédération Internationale Féline - Introduction to the FIFe". fifeweb.org. Retrieved 2017-12-28.
- "Fédération Internationale Féline - Easy Mind System". fifeweb.org. Retrieved 2018-01-05.