Causeway Bay Station
|MTR rapid transit station|
|Literal meaning||Copper gong bay|
|Location||Hennessy Road × Yee Wo Street, Causeway Bay
Wan Chai, Hong Kong
|Owned by||MTR Corporation|
|Operated by||MTR Corporation|
|Platforms||2 (split level side platforms)|
|Connections||Bus, public light bus, tram|
Causeway Bay (Chinese: 銅鑼灣; Cantonese Yale: Tùnglòwāan) is a station on the MTR network on Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong. The station is between Wan Chai and Tin Hau stations on the Island Line. It serves the locality of Causeway Bay and the Happy Valley Racecourse within Wan Chai District.
In 1967, Freeman Fox and Wilbur Smith Associates released the government-commissioned Mass Transport Study, which proposed a new underground railway. The plan included the Island Line between Kennedy Town and Chai Wan stations. When the Mass Transport Provisional Authority was founded, minor alterations were made with the Sheung Wan to Kennedy Town section cancelled.[note 1] The government gave approval on the 95-million-dollar construction of the line on 23 December 1980 and work started in October 1982. The first section of the line opened from Admiralty to Chai Wan on 31 May 1985.
The station is situated between Wan Chai and Tin Hau stations on the Island Line. The typical off-peak service is 17 trains per hour in both directions, which is a train every 3–6 minutes. There was a time when there was a special service in operation between Admiralty and Tai Koo on the Island Line due to shortage of train operators. This service was withdrawn after 1 October 1986, about 5 months after the extension to Sheung Wan.
The platforms of Causeway Bay station are constructed in a stacked arrangement, with platform 1 above platform 2.
|Walkway||Western Concourse||Vending machines, ATM|
|C||Eastern Concourse||Customer Service, MTRShops|
|Hang Seng Bank, vending machines, ATM|
|Octopus promotion machine, tourist information centre|
|Western Concourse||Customer Service|
|ATM, i-centre internet service|
|Southern Concourse||Customer Service|
|Vending machines, ATM, Octopus Promotion Machine|
|Side platform, doors will open on the left|
|Platform 1||Island Line towards Chai Wan (Tin Hau) →|
|Side platform, doors will open on the right|
|Platform 2||← Island Line towards Kennedy Town (Wan Chai)|
Causeway Bay is a primary shopping district in Hong Kong[note 2] with exits from the MTR leading directly into major outlets such as Sogo and Times Square, which can be accessed through a long, upward sloping pedestrian walkway at Exit A.
Unlike other MTR stations, there are three different concourses in Causeway Bay station. After exiting the paid areas through the turnstiles, the other two concourses are inaccessible underground. The west and east concourses were opened on 31 May 1985 with the opening of the station, while the south concourse and Exit A were opened in 1994 with the opening of Times Square.
In the basement of Times Square:
In the basement of Causeway Bay Plaza (Phase 1):
- B: Causeway Bay Plaza
- C: Sino Plaza
In the basement of Sogo Department Store:
- D1/D2/D3/D4: Sogo Department Store
- E: Great George Street, (Next to Body Shop)
- F1: Jardine's Crescent
- F2: Hysan Place
These are the bus routes found in the vicinity of Causeway Bay station that provide connections with other areas not served by the MTR including Aberdeen/Wah Kwai Estate, Braemar Hill, Happy Valley, Jardine's Lookout, Kennedy Town, Lai Tak Tsuen, Lei Tung Estate, Park Road, Sham Wan/Wong Chuk Hang, Nam Cheong Station/Hoi Lai Estate, South Horizons, The Peak, Tin Wan, Tsing Yi/Cheung On, Wah Fu.
Hong Kong Tramways (exit A)
Hong Kong Island's tramway system consists of an inner loop branching out at Causeway Bay towards Happy Valley. The nearest tram stop is located along Percival Street near the end of Matheson Street.
Plans to expand Causeway Bay Station
This section needs to be updated.(June 2014)
In November 2006, MTR announced they would build an underground shopping mall and expand the current Causeway Bay station. The station will add 5 new exits:
- E1: East Point Road
- E2: Great George Street at Hong Kong Building
- F1: Former Hennessy Center
- F2: Yee Wo Street at McDonald's Building
- F3: Paterson Street
and the current Exit E (Great George Street next to The Body Shop) will be removed. The plan also triples the current station size.
- Phase 2 of the railway system includes the Sheung Wan to Admiralty section, and Admiralty to North Point while Phase 8 will be from North Point to Chai Wan. The plan still included the Sheung Wan to Kennedy Town section, but construction did not commence on that section of line.
- This causes the station to be very busy all day long.
- "MTR system map" (PDF). MTR. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "歷史". MTR之今昔Expo (in Cantonese). MTR之今昔. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "歷史". 港島線 (in Cantonese). 台灣Word. 6 December 2013. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "Service Hours". Services and Facilities. MTR. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "Causeway Bay Station layout" (PDF). MTR Corporation. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "銅鑼灣 Causeway Bay (CAB)". 港島線簡介 (in Cantonese). MTR之今昔. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "Causeway Bay Station street map" (PDF). MTR Corporation. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- Media related to Causeway Bay Station at Wikimedia Commons