Central Michigan Life
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Central Michigan Life is Central Michigan University's student newspaper. It is almost entirely independent from the university. Only the salaries of the adviser and executive secretary are paid through CMU; all other expenses are covered by the student media company's own advertising revenue.
The paper is published and distributed twice per week during the spring and fall semesters. During the summer, the paper is published online at cm-life.com. It is available in newsprint and online, posting news as it happens.
CM Life's circulation is currently 8,000 and it is distributed by Mid-Michigan Industries at various news racks in CMU's academic buildings and residence halls, as well as several businesses within the Mount Pleasant community.
CM Life was named one of the top three non-daily newspapers in the nation for 2007 by the Society of Professional Journalists. It also was named the best college newspaper in Division I in Michigan. CM Life has been named an Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker winner in 1975, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1989, 1990, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015. It also was a finalist for the first time for an online Pacemaker in 2010. While a student at CMU, cartoonist Drew Sheneman published cartoons in CM Life, winning two awards for his work during that time.
In 2013 and 2014, CM Life was named College Media Company of the Year by the College Media Business and Advertising Managers.
"CM Life" was chosen 2015 College Newspaper of the Year in the Michigan Press Association's "Better College Newspaper Contest."
Notable alumni include:
- John Grogan, former columnist for The Philadelphia Inquirer and author of "Marley & Me"
- Chad Livengood, Detroit News reporter
- Mark W. Smith, The Washington Post
- Randy Lovely, vice president of community news for the USA Today network,
- Drew Sheneman, editorial cartoonist, The Star-Ledger of Newark, New Jersey,
- Tom Henry, environmental reporter for The Toledo Blade
- Brian Manzullo, Detroit Free Press
- Adam Graham, entertainment reporter The Detroit News
- ]]Mike Wayland]] automotive reporter the Detroit News
- Jake May, photographer for The Flint Journal/MLive
- Seth Newman, director of multimedia for Spartan Sports Network
- Aaron McMann, sports reporter for MLive
- Jessica Fecteau, editoral assistant People Magazine.
- "Photographer wins national award".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-09-04. Retrieved 2010-08-24.
- "News exec. from The Arizona Republic, azcentral.com takes leading role with Gannett". azcentral. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
[Associated Collegiate Press, https://web.archive.org/web/20100904230036/http://studentpress.org/acp/winners/opm10.html]
|This article about a Michigan newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|