||This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014)
||Boatman of the River Styx
||The River Styx
In the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game, Charon is a powerful altraloth, a lord of the yugoloths, reportedly transformed into a more powerful creature by the night hags of the Gray Waste. Charon's role is to provide travel on the River Styx, but he always charges a steep price and kills those who cannot or will not pay. Charon commands a legion of marraenoloths who provide the same service.
Charon's name comes from Charon.
Charon is named for Greek mythology's boatman of the River Acheron.
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st edition (1977-1988)
Charon (The Boatman of the Lower Planes) first appeared in the daemon entry in the original Monster Manual II (1983).
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition (1989-1999)
Cerlic, also known as Charon, appeared as one of the altraloths in Dragon Annual #2 (1997).
Dungeons & Dragons 3rd edition (2000-2007)
Charon appeared in Dungeon #149 (August 2007).
Charon appears as a large, skeletal humanoid wearing dark robes, with glowing green eyes.
Charon (Boatman of the Lower Planes) appeared under the "daemon" heading in the Tome of Horrors (2002) from Necromancer Games.
Charon appeared in Paizo Publishing's book Book of the Damned, Vol. 3: Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2011), on pages 10–11.
- ^ Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual II (TSR, 1983)
- ^ Bonny, Ed. "Pox of the Planes" in Dragon Annual #2. 1997
- ^ Baur, Wolfgang. "Enemies of my Enemy." Dungeon #149 (Paizo Publishing, 2007)
- ^ Green, Scott; Peterson, Clark (2002). Tome of Horrors. Necromancer Games. pp. 53–54. ISBN 1-58846-112-2.
- ^ Stewart, Todd. Book of the Damned, Vol. 3: Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Paizo, 2011)