List of reptilian humanoids
(Redirected from Reptilian humanoid)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- 1 Folklore
- 2 Fringe theories
- 3 Scientific speculation
- 4 Modern fiction
- 5 See also
Reptilian occur in a variety of folklore genres:
- Boreas (Aquilon to the Romans): the Greek god of the cold north wind, described by Pausanias as a winged man with serpents instead of legs.
- Cecrops I: the mythical first King of Athens was half man, half snake
- Dragon Kings: creatures from Chinese mythology sometimes depicted as reptilian humanoids
- Some djinn in Islamic mythology are described as alternating between human and serpentine forms.
- Echidna, the wife of Typhon in Greek mythology, was half woman, half snake.
- Fu Xi: serpentine founding figure from Chinese mythology
- Glycon: a snake god who had the head of a man.
- The Gorgons: Sisters in Greek mythology who had serpents for hair.
- The Lamia: a child-devouring female demon from Greek mythology depicted as half woman, half serpent.
- Nāga (Devanagari: नाग): reptilian beings from Hindu mythology said to live underground and interact with human beings on the surface.
- Ningizzida, Lord of the Tree of Life, mentioned in the Epic of Gilgamesh and linked to the water serpent constellation Hydra.
- Nüwa: serpentine founding figure from Chinese mythology
- The Serpent: an entity from the Genesis creation narrative occasionally depicted with legs, and sometimes identified with Satan, though its representations have been both male and female.
- Shenlong: a Chinese dragon thunder god, depicted with a human head and a dragon's body
- Sobek: Ancient Egyptian crocodile-headed god
- Suppon No Yurei: A turtle-headed human ghost from Japanese mythology and folklore
- Tlaloc: Aztec god depicted as a man with snake fangs
- Typhon, the "father of all monsters" in Greek mythology, was a man from the waist up, and a mass of seething vipers from the waist down.
- Wadjet pre-dynastic snake goddess of Lower Egypt - sometimes depicted as half snake, half woman
- Zahhak, a figure from Zoroastrian mythology who, in Ferdowsi's epic Shahnameh, grows a serpent on either shoulder
Modern legend, folktale, and folk belief
- Enchanted Moura from Portuguese and Galician folklore appears as a snake with long blonde hair.
- Kappa: Turtle-like humanoids from Japanese mythology and folklore.
- The Lizard Man of Scape Ore Swamp in South Carolina, United States
- The Loveland Frog (or Loveland Lizard), in Loveland, Ohio, United States
- The Thetis Lake monster in Canada
- The White Snake: a figure from Chinese folklore
- Reptilians appear in some claims of alien encounters and in the conspiracy theories of David Icke
- Lemurians, reptilian humanoids in the writings of Helena Blavatsky
- The dinosauroid, a hypothetical reptilian humanoid conjectured by palaeontologist Dale Russell
- Other speculated sapient dinosaurs
A wide range of fictional works depict reptilian humanoids.
- Dracs from the Enemy Mine series by Barry B. Longyear.
- Evra Von from Darren Shan's "Saga of Darren Shan"
- Hork-Bajir from K. A. Applegate's Animorphs
- The Lady of the Green Kirtle from CS Lewis's The Silver Chair
- An Unnamed race from H.P. Lovecraft's The Nameless City - later Cthulhu Mythos tales have named these the Valusians or simply "serpent people".
- The Race from Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series
- Serpent men from the works of Robert E. Howard (also in the Marvel universe)
- Yig, the serpent god from HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos.
- Yilané from the novel West of Eden by Harry Harrison
- The Creeps and the Snake Lady from the Goosebumps franchise.
- Cobra-La, and Cobra Commander from the G. I. Joe series
- Chase Young from Xiaolin Showdown
- Drakh and Narn from Babylon 5
- Lizard Man from He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
- Lizardman Phantom from Kamen Rider Wizard
- The Lizardmen from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World
- Scarrans from Farscape
- Sleestaks from Land of the Lost
- Slithe and his fellow Lizards from ThunderCats
- Snake Men, from Masters of the Universe
- Snake People from the TV-movie The Archer: Fugitive from the Empire
- Unas from Stargate
- Visitors from V
- The Culebra from "From Dusk till Dawn: The Series"
- Zafiro from Disney's Gargoyles, red-skinned snake-bodied gargate, with two humanoid arms and feathered wings, reminiscent of Kukulcan in Mayan myth and leader of his gargoyle clan
- Badoon, another hostile alien race
- Chitauri, alien shapeshifters from the Ultimate Marvel universe.
- Lizard, an enemy of Spider-Man
- The Lizard Men of Subterranea
- The Lizard Men of the Savage Land
- The Lizard Men of Tok from the Microverse
- Sauron, an enemy of the X-Men
- Skrulls, an alien race of reptilian shapeshifters
- Slither, a snakelike mutant and ally of Magneto
- Copperhead, some versions
- Gordanians, a species of alien reptilian slavers
- Killer Croc, an enemy of Batman
- Lizardmen from the Warlord series.
- Henry Phage from the Mr. Hero comics from Tekno Comix
- Kleggs, alien mercenaries in the Judge Dredd universe.
- The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and their ally/foe Leatherhead
- Treens from Dan Dare
- Tyranny Rex, reptilian artist in stories published in 2000AD.
Roleplaying and strategy games
- Argonians, a race in The Elder Scrolls series
- Bangaa, a race in the game series of Final Fantasy
- Drell, a race in the Mass Effect series
- Iksar, a race from the EverQuest franchise.
- Lizalfos and Daira from the Legend of Zelda series.
- Lizardmen from the Warhammer fantasy tabletop games.
- Naga from the Warcraft series.
- Reptites from Chrono Trigger
- Saurians from Risen
- Dinaurians from Fossil Fighters and Fossil Fighters: Champions
Platform and fighting games
- Bowser and the Koopas from Super Mario Bros.
- Espio the Chameleon and Vector the Crocodile from Sonic the Hedgehog
- Lizardman, a character from the Soul series of fighting games
- Locust Horde, the primary antagonists in the game franchise Gears of War
- Reptile, Chameleon, and Khameleon from the game Mortal Kombat
- Riptor, a character from the fighting game Killer Instinct