Czech Footballer of the Year
The Czech Footballer of the Year (Czech: Fotbalista roku) is awarded in the Czech Republic by the Football Association of the Czech Republic (FA ČR). Eligibility extends to Czech players in the Czech Republic and abroad. Awards for young player, coach and Czech First League personality of the year are also awarded. The award was first presented in 1965, as an award for the whole of Czechoslovakia. It was won by Ján Popluhár.
Petr Čech won the award for an unprecedented sixth time in the 2012 ceremony, passing the previous record of five wins held by fellow goalkeeper Ivo Viktor. Viktor had previously won the award more times than any other player, having won the award five times in the Czechoslovak era between 1968 and 1976.
The other football award in the Czech Republic is the Golden Ball, awarded by sport journalists.
The award has been made every year since the first award in 1965. In 1996 two players shared the award.
|Indicates multiple award winners in the same year|
- Jeřábek, Luboš (2007). Ceský a ceskoslovenský fotbal - lexikon osobností a klubu (in Czech). Prague: Grada Publishing. p. 52. ISBN 978-80-247-1656-5.
- "Fotbalovým králem je opět brankář. Čech vyhrál pošesté a má rekord" [Football king is again a goalkeeper. Čech won for the sixth time and has the record]. idnes.cz (in Czech). Mladá fronta DNES. 4 February 2013. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- Rohr, Bernd; Günter, Simon (2006). Fotbal - velký lexikon: osobnosti, kluby, názvosloví (in Czech). Prague: Grada Publishing. p. 142. ISBN 80-247-1158-3.
- "Čech named Czech player of the year again". uefa.com. 3 March 2014. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Čechova vláda po letech skončila, fotbalistou roku je střelec Lafata". idnes.cz. 29 March 2015. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "Fotbalistou roku je Čech, do Síně slávy vstoupili mistři Evropy a Nedvěd" (in Czech). iDNES.cz. 21 March 2016. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Fotbalistou roku je Čech, do Síně slávy vstoupili mistři Evropy a Nedvěd" (in Czech). iDNES.cz. 21 March 2017. Retrieved 28 March 2017.