Cover art for Deadly Class #1. Art by Wesley Craig.
|Publication date||January 22, 2014 – present|
|No. of issues||35|
|Created by||Rick Remender|
|Written by||Rick Remender|
|SC Vol. 1||ISBN 978-1632150035|
|SC Vol. 2||ISBN 978-1632152220|
|SC Vol. 3||ISBN 978-1632154767|
|SC Vol. 4||ISBN 978-1632157188|
|SC Vol. 5||ISBN 978-1534300552|
|SC Vol. 6||ISBN 978-1534302471|
|HC Vol. 1||ISBN 978-1632156648|
Deadly Class is an action genre American comic book series written by Rick Remender, illustrated by Wesley Craig, colored by Lee Loughridge, and lettered by Rus Wooton. Deadly Class follows students enrolled at King's Dominion Atelier of the Deadly Arts, a secret high school in San Francisco, as they train to become the next generation of top assassins for crime families across the globe.
The first issues of Deadly Class focus on the story of teenage orphan Marcus Lopez Arguello as he transitions from living on the streets to being enrolled into a school of assassins. The academy, run by Master Lin, is composed of children of mob bosses and mass murderers, learning the same trade as their parents.
Marcus's decision to attend the school is one of the only decisions he gets to make for himself throughout the arc and history. His entire life has been composed of unfortunate events, each leaving him further ostracized from humanity. Marcus's lack of residence is primarily due to both of his parents dying in a horrible accident when he was young. This resulted in Marcus being placed into an orphanage, in which the head of the house required his manual labor for him to retain residence. This continued degradation of his sanity through the abuse by the hands of his roommates and guardians eventually drives him to committing a massive act of violence.
Deadly Class then continues to follow the stories of the individuals enrolled in the academy and many of their eventual downfalls.
- Marcus Lopez Arguello is the newest addition to King's Dominion. Plagued by tragedy and trauma, Marcus still finds himself an outcast at the school in regards to both the students and the teachers.
- Saya Kuroki is the leader of the Kuroki Syndicate at King's Dominion. Her preferred weapon is a katana, which was passed down through her family.
- Willie Lewis is a member of the Final World Order (F.W.O.) at King's Dominion and is one of Marcus's best friends. Willie is a sharpshooter who specializes in firearms.
- Maria Esperanza Salazar is Marcus's girlfriend; a member of the Soto Vatos and Chico's former girlfriend. Maria's preferred weapons are bladed fans, and she is often seen adorned in Dia Los Muertos attire.
- Master Lin is the ruthless headmaster of King's Dominion.
- Viktor is a Russian brute who is the son of Joseph Stalin's personal assassin. Viktor utilizes his brute strength to overwhelm his opponents.
- Petra Yolga is a goth girl who comes from a death cult. Petra specializes in poison, and gained honors in a class because of this.
- Shabnam is a portly, nerdy boy who is Marcus's former roommate. Being the son of a wealthy banker, Shabnam uses his intellect and wit to strategically win battles.
- Brandy Lynn is a Southern belle, and is known as the daughter of a famous neo-Nazi that assassinated dozens of civil rights activists. She is considered loud, racist, and a generic Confederate redneck. Brandy is adept at hand-to-hand combat, and has been seen utilizing various throws and grapples that make her a deadly opponent.
- Billy Bennett is one of Marcus's best friends. He is kindly and soft, and needed help to kill his father. He seems friendly and funny, and he likes to skate.
- Kelly "Grogda" is Shabnam's girlfriend who seduced Marcus at one point.
- Shawn Parcel
- Chico Salazar is the leader of the Soto Vatos, Maria's former boyfriend.
- Kendall is Stephen's former boyfriend. He is one of the students who helped Marcus in the first issue.
- Stephen is Kendall's former boyfriend. All he wants is to be one of the top students at King's Dominion.
- Tosawhi is one of the new students. The others don't really like him but he doesn't seem to care. Like Billy, he's a skater.
- Quan is one of the new students. He is both proud and arrogant. He attempted to hook up with Saya but finally gave up.
- Helmut is one of the new students. He's German, loves metal, and also loves other "hardcore" things.
- Zenzele is one of the new students. She's a bit weird and Brandy doesn't like her at all. She writes a lot of letters to her parents.
|Title||Material collected||Publication date||ISBN|
|Deadly Class – Vol. 1: Reagan Youth||Deadly Class #1–6||July 16, 2014||978-1632150035|
|Deadly Class – Vol. 2: Kids of the Black Hole||Deadly Class #7–11||March 18, 2015||978-1632152220|
|Deadly Class – Vol. 3: Snake Pit||Deadly Class #12–16||October 7, 2015||978-1632154767|
|Deadly Class – Vol. 4: Die for Me||Deadly Class #17–21||August 3, 2016||978-1632157188|
|Deadly Class – Vol. 5: Carousel||Deadly Class #22–26||March 15, 2017||978-1534300552|
|Deadly Class – Vol. 6: This Is Not the End||Deadly Class #27–31||December 26, 2017||978-1534302471|
|Deadly Class – Vol. 7: Love Like Blood||Deadly Class #32–35||August 28, 2018||978-1534306967|
|Deadly Class – Vol. 8: Never Go Back||Deadly Class #36–40||April 16, 2019||978-1534310636|
|Title||Material collected||Additional material||Publication date||ISBN|
|Deadly Class – Book One||Deadly Class #1–16||November 19, 2014||978-1632156648|
|Deadly Class – Book Two||Deadly Class #17–31||October 23, 2018||978-1534308411|
In other media
Directors Anthony and Joe Russo have signed on to produce a television series based on Deadly Class. The Sony Pictures Television-produced adaptation has been optioned as a pilot for the Syfy channel. Benedict Wong, Benjamin Wadsworth, Lana Condor, Michel Duval and María Gabriela de Faría are among the actors cast in main roles for the series. On April 18, 2018, Syfy picked up the pilot to series. The first episode will air on January 16, 2019 on SyFy.
- "Deadly Class #1". Image Comics. June 15, 2017. Retrieved June 15, 2017.
- Danoff, Mara (April 20, 2017). "DEADLY CLASS: The Making of a Murderer". Comicverse. Retrieved June 15, 2017.
- Richards, Dave (June 6, 2016). "Remender Breaks Down the Aftermath of "Deadly Class'" Freshmen Finals". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved June 15, 2017.
- Melrose, Kevin (July 21, 2016). "SDCC: Russo Brothers to Produce "Deadly Class" TV Series". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved June 15, 2017.
- Petski, Denise (November 9, 2017). "'Deadly Class': Syfy Sets Full Cast For Comic-Based Drama Pilot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 9, 2017.
- Petski, Denise; Andreeva, Nellie (April 18, 2018). "Syfy Picks Up To Series 'Deadly Class' Drama Based On Graphic Novel From The Russo Brothers". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 19, 2018.