|Created by||Man of Action|
|Written by||Man of Action|
|Voices of||Daryl Sabara
|Theme music composer||Kevin Manthei|
|Opening theme||"Revolution", performed by Orange|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||60 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||For Cartoon Network Studios: Brian A. Miller and Jennifer Pelphrey
For Cartoon Network: Tramm Wigzell, Rob Swartz (Season 1–2), and Rob Sorcher
John Fang (supervising producer)
|Running time||23 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Cartoon Network Studios|
|Original network||Cartoon Network|
|Picture format||480i SDTV
|Audio format||Dolby Digital 5.1|
|Original release||April 23, 2010– January 3, 2013|
|Related shows||Ben 10: Ultimate Alien|
Generator Rex is an American science fantasy action animated television series created by Man of Action for Cartoon Network. John Fang of Cartoon Network Studios serves as supervising director. It is inspired by the comic M. Rex, published by Image Comics in 1999. The series premiered in the United States on April 23, 2010, on Cartoon Network. Generator Rex is rated TV-PG-V. The last episode of the series aired January 3, 2013.
Five years prior to the series, a massive explosion released high concentrations of nanites into the atmosphere, infecting almost every living thing on Earth. These nanites may randomly activate inside their hosts, mutating the subject into a monster known as an E.V.O. (short for "Exponentially Variegated Organism"). Though some E.V.O.s retain human-level sanity, intelligence, and memory and are in full control of their special E.V.O. abilities, most transform into monster-like creatures and go violently berserk, causing widespread chaos and destruction. An international military-style organization known as Providence exists to combat the E.V.O. threat.
Rex is a fifteen-year-old (sixteen, later on in the series) amnesiac teenager who is a permanent E.V.O. Unlike most E.V.O.s, he lacks any physical deformation but has forgotten his past. He is also able to control his active nanites, allowing him to manifest from his body a wide variety of various bio-mechanical abilities and powers. Rex has the unique ability to deactivate nanites inside other E.V.O.s, effectively curing them of their monstrous mutations and returning them to normal. Working for Providence under Agent Six, Rex uses his unique abilities to stop and cure rampant E.V.O.s. His archenemy, Van Kleiss, is an E.V.O. scientist who despises Providence and is connected to the original nanite explosion (which is noted as simply, "The Event" throughout the series.) His ultimate goal is to rule the world.
- Daryl Sabara - Rex Salazar, Rombauer (1st time), East Side kid
- Wally Kurth - Agent Six, Captain Calan, Maxwell, Systems Op
- Grey DeLisle - Rebecca Holiday, Diane Farrah, Little Spanish boy, Beach Girl 1, ZAG-RS, Kate, Echoey Voice 2, Little Girl (Slug EVO), Larvus, Female Co-pilot, Innocent girl, Doctor Rhodes, Wade, Waitress, Isabella, House wife, Trig Student 2, Librarian, Lady, Violeta Salazar, Additional voices (1st time)
- John DiMaggio - Bobo Haha, Skalamander, Providence Agent (1st time), Waiter (1st time), Architect, Bug, Pyreptryx, Jungle Cat, D.J., Older Providence worker, Pete Volkov, Dock Worker, Nyquist, Robo Bobo Haha, Biruta, Guard 1, Michael, Umpire, Hunter Cain (2nd time), Human EVO, Dark Figure, Providence Soldier 1 (2nd time), Lunk, Additional voices (4th time), Rath, Black Pawn, Huckster, Vostok
- J.K. Simmons - White Knight, Cured E.V.O., Waiter (2nd time)
- Fred Savage - Noah Nixon, Beagle (1st time), Waylan, Sit-Ops Tech, Team leader
- Troy Baker - Van Kleiss, Biowulf, Captured zombie, Weaver, Echoey Voice 1, United Nations Official, Payson, Businessman, Providence Tech, Guard, Etude, Male Party-Goer, Providence Soldier 1 (1st time), Roswell, Additional voices (10th time)
- Hynden Walch - Breach, Chinese hostess
- Joe Casey - Shades
- Joe Kelly - McKelly
- Duncan Rouleau - Dunky
- Jeff Bennett - Peter Meechum (1st time), Providence agent (1st time)
- Tara Sands - Circe, Beach Girl 2
- Dee Bradley Baker - Foul Mouth, Stork EVO, Principal Rothberger, Gabriel, Terrified Student, Humungousaur, Diamondhead, Lodestar, Big Chill, Cannonbolt, Four Arms, Upchuck
- Luke Perry - Jacob
- Will Shadley - Caleb
- Brent Spiner - Gabriel Rylander, Additional voices (11th time)
- Fred Tatasciore - NoFace, Providence Tech
- Khary Payton - Male Pilot, Beasly, Male cadet, Gang Punk
- Danica McKellar - Claire Bowman
- Felicia Day - Annie
- Mark Hamill - Quarry, Scientist 2
- Dante Basco - Tuck
- Jason Marsden - Skwydd, Lieutenant, Hipster, Scientist 1, Gamer boy
- Vyvan Pham - Cricket, Female vendor
- James Hong - Vendor, Providence Agent (2nd time), Providence Soldier
- Kevin Michael Richardson - Knuckles, EVO Guard, Tripp
- John Cena - Hunter Cain (1st time)
- Dave Wittenberg - Instigator, Blue collar worker
- Rob Paulsen - Bouvier †, Comm Tech, Agent Jackson, Providence tech, Loud Speaker, Pyramid guide
- Carlos Alazraqui - DI Hutton, Lecturer, Dos, Providence Agent (3rd time), Lansky, Uniformed Providence Agent, Old Man, Reynaldo, Additional voices (2nd time), Muchado, Rafael Salazar, Judge
- Rutina Wesley - Kenwyn Jones
- James Horan - Doctor Fell, Fortier
- Greg Ellis - Gatlocke
- Marion Ross - Determined Grandma, Grandma
- Robin Atkin Downes - Hogdson, Captain, Reddick, Sir Anthony Haden-Scott
- Matthew Lillard - Serge
- Kath Soucie - Mouse, Female Party-Goer
- Blake Lewis - Thump
- Jim Cummings - Trey
- Frank Welker - IV, One
- Olivia d'Abo - Five
- Freddy Rodriguez - Caesar Salazar, Contraption Voice, Providence Soldier 2
- Maria Canals-Barrera - Valentina
- Miguel Sandoval - Oso Maretelo, Guard 2, Agent Alvarez
- Phil LaMarr - Rombauer (2nd time), First Talking Announcer
- Tom Kenny - Buchiner, Announcer, Fitzy Feakins, Additional voices (12th time)
- Daran Norris - Coach, Burly jock
- James Arnold Taylor - Trig Student 1, Video kid
- David Barrera - Esteban
- Shelley Morrison - Abeula Salazar
- Bobby Soto - Federico
- Nolan North - Branden Moses, Security Guard, Additional Voices (1st time)
- Jennifer Stone - Beverly Holiday, Additional voices (9th time)
- Steven T. Seagle - Beagle (2nd time), Providence agent (2nd time)
- Jennifer Hale - Black Knight, Additional voices (5th time)
- Jack DeSena - Rand, Lance
- Yuri Lowenthal - Moss, Ben Tennyson, XLR8, Upgrade
- Maurice LaMarche - Valve
- Sandra Echeverria - Beatriz
- Randee Heller - Donna, Additional voices (3rd time)
- Bob Joles - Egyptian cook
- Hakeem Kae-Kazim - Ghaurn Set
- Lacey Chabert - Additional Voices (2nd time), JoJo, Additional voices (7th time)
- David Kaye - Shocksquatch
- Michael Emerson - Alpha, Alpha Alien Robot, Alpha Heatblast, Alpha Four Arms, Alpha Humungousaur, Alpha-Omega
- Corey Burton - Septimius Severus
- Andy Milder - John Scarecrow
- Wil Wheaton - Peter Meechum (2nd time)
- Rick Negron - Durango
- Christian Lanz - Chiquito
- Steve Blum - Sebastian, Leon Adler, Additional voices (6th time)
- Greg Cipes - Sly Tyler
- Quinton Flynn - Beau Boe, Additional voices (8th time)
Generator Rex currently does not air on Cartoon Network. Episodes 54 through 60 were released on iTunes for purchase before they aired. The episodes "Hermanos" and "Enemies Mine" are currently unaired.
|Seasons||Episodes||First aired||Last aired|
|1||21||April 23, 2010||December 10, 2010|
|2||19||February 4, 2011||November 4, 2011|
|3||20||November 11, 2011||January 3, 2013|
On July 11, 2011, the schedule for the 2011 San Diego Comic-Con revealed that during Cartoon Network's panel, a crossover special between the Ben 10 and Generator Rex series titled Ben 10/Generator Rex: Heroes United would be discussed. During the conference, show creators "Man of Action" revealed that the crossover would be a special, extended episode of Generator Rex, which aired on November 25, 2011. The double-length special revolved around Ben and Rex fighting a villain, originally created by Rex's older brother Caesar, the Alpha Nanite.
The series first aired in India on January 16, 2011. In September 2013, the series made its US debut on Boomerang.
Warner Home Video released Volume 1 DVD, a two-disc set that contains the first nine episodes of the series on October 19, 2010.
A video game, entitled Generator Rex: Agent of Providence has been developed for Wii, PlayStation 3, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS, and Xbox 360. The game was released on November 1, 2011, in the United States, published by Activision. The plot involves Van Kleiss attempting to find blueprints to build an Omega-One Nanite. All voice actors reprise their roles from the series. Agent of Providence was given an E10+ rating by ESRB. The game was also scored by the series' composer, Kevin Manthei.
Mattel has produced a toy line based on the series. For the main figures each is approximately 4 inches tall and packaged with an ordinary day E.V.O. There were also deluxe figures, EVO attack packs, as well as other waves and lines that were never released including a line from MEGA Bloks was announced (in 2010) featuring construction sets.
Cartoon Network has featured Generator Rex and Ben 10 in their and DC Comics's Cartoon Network: Action Pack comic books. Two 3D picture books (featuring cardboard 3D glasses) "EVOs and Heroes," a whole analysis on characters and their abilities and "The Swarm," an adaption of the episode of the same name, where Rex must fight insect E.V.O.s that feed on metal, have also been released. For beginning readers, the story "Leader of the Pack" is also based on an episode and features Rex and Bobo being captured and locked in an underground prison cell.
In February 2013, IDW Publishing announced a partnership with Cartoon Network to produce comic books and issues based on its properties. Generator Rex along with Ben 10 was one of the titles announced to be published.
|Year||Award||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result|
|2010||62nd Primetime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Individual in Animation||Chu-Hui Song and Nora Murphy-Breden for the episode "The Day That Changed Everything"||Won|
- 2.10 - Kevin scores Generator Rex!
- Watch and Read: Super Teen Machine: Cartoon Network's 'Generator Rex'
- SDCC2011: Generator Rex/Ben 10 Crossover Special Set For Thanksgiving
- Ben 10 and Generator Rex News from Comic-Con - YouTube
- CN to Air 'Ben 10/Generator Rex' Crossover Episode'
- Ben 10 & Generator Rex Unite, The Season Finale Of Thundercats, And Ahsoka Returns To Clone Wars!
- Johnson, Jesse (March 16, 2010). "ECCC: Man Of Action: Comics Into Media". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved April 24, 2010.
- CARTOON NETWORK: GENERATOR REX VOLUME 1
- Generator Rex: Agent of Providence
- Generator Rex Video Game Coming This Fall
- Activision's High-octane Action Adventure Generator Rex: Agent of Providence Available Now
- 5.11 - Generator Rex - Agent of Providence Game!
- Turner generates licensing momentum for Rex
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-02-28. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Generator Rex|