Digital branding is a brand management technique that uses a combination of internet branding and digital marketing to develop a brand over a range of digital venues, including internet-based relationships, device-based applications or media content.
Digital branding aims to create connections between consumers and the products or service being delivered so that brand recognition is established in the digital world. In short, the goal of digital branding is not necessarily driving sales, but enhancing the awareness, image, and style of the brand. Digital branding in turn drives long-term customer loyalty.
Brand establishment involves four key points:
- Building a digital brand story
- Creativity in digital media and marketing
- Digital channels and content distributed to channels based on consumer data and habits
- Creating digital relationships.
Digital impact on branding
Before the internet, information about companies and consumers was somewhat limited due to access to information, geographical separation, and lack of interaction. The existence of the internet and websites has therefore transformed branding: the internet has transformed interaction between brands and customers; and websites facilitate online marketing and sales, as well as collecting comprehensive data on customers.
Another impact on branding practices is the emergence of value co-creation as an alternative way to long-term customer relationships, customer loyalty, and eventual profitability. Joint effort is formed between the companies and customers during the various stages of the product. It strengthens the bond and builds loyalty and customer engagement.
Digital branding channels
According to Mabbly CEO, Hank Ostholthoff, digital branding is facilitated by multiple channels. As an advertiser, one's core objective is to find channels that result in maximum two-way communication and a better overall return-of-investment for the brand.
There are multiple online marketing channels available, namely:
- New media marketing
- Cross-media marketing
- Retail media
- Affiliate marketing
- Display advertising
- Internet branding
- Game advertising
- Video advertising
- SMS marketing
- Branding on MetaVerse
Personal digital branding
As social media platforms have been established and have evolved over the last couple of decades, digital branding has become personal. Individuals have taken to social media to brand and market themselves in building their personal and professional lives. Consequently, boundaries between the personal and professional are fading.
Those who participate in social media sites should be aware that their social media content is public and may be accessed by colleagues, clients, and other professional references. Many universities and workplaces have established social media policies. A well-curated social media presence may be attractive to employers, while poorly representing oneself is an employment liability.
- Brand engagement
- Brand implementation
- Brand management
- Online advertising
- Search engine results page
- Social media marketing
- Visual marketing
- Kompella, Kartikeya (2014-08-05). The Definitive Book of Branding. SAGE Publications India. ISBN 9789351501046.
- Chiles, David (2013-05-08). Apps: Everything You Need To Know. David Paul Chiles.
- Ostholthoff, Hank. "4 Ways to Master the Art of Digital Branding". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
- Shamoon, Sumaira, and Saiqa Tehseen. "Brand Management: What Next?" Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business 2.12 (2011): 435–441. Business Source Complete. Web. Oct 20, 2012.
- Wilson, Chris (21 April 2009). "Interview with Brand Consultant and Author Marty Neumeier". Fresh Peel. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Branding Definition". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Edelman, David C. (2010-12-01). "Branding in the Digital Age". Harvard Business Review. No. December 2010. ISSN 0017-8012. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- CPBI, Ryan Shelley. "Then vs Now: How the Internet Continues to Transform Traditional Marketing". www.smamarketing.net. Retrieved 2020-10-24.
- "The Evolution of Digital Marketing: 30 Years in the Past & Future". digitalmarketinginstitute.com. Retrieved 2020-10-24.
- "How Do Big Companies Collect Customer Data?". ITChronicles. 2019-01-14. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- Wang, Yichuan (2014). Co-Creation in Branding through Social Commerce: The Role of Social Support, Relationship Quality and Privacy Concerns. Twentieth Americas Conference on Information Systems, Savannah.
- Pratik Dholakiya (14 April 2015). "3 Digital Marketing Channels That Work for Every Advertiser". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Jansen, B. J., Sobel, K., and Zhang, M. (2011) The Brand Effect of Key Phrases and Advertisements in Sponsored Search. International Journal of Electronic Commerce. 6(1), 77-106.
- "4 Important Digital Marketing Channels You Should Know About". Digital Doughnut. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Cocoran, Ian (2010-06-29). The Art of Digital Branding. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 978-1-58115-802-1.
- Green, R. Kay (25 April 2013). "7 Highly-Effective Ways to Maximize Your Online Brand Presence". Huffington Post. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Fallon, Nicole (10 December 2013). "7 Highly-Effective Ways to Maximize Your Online Brand Presence". Business News Daily. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Rutherford, Katie (2021-02-24). "Looking Back on a Decade of Social Media - College of Communication and Information". Retrieved 2022-11-24.
- Kleppinger, Courtney A.; Cain, Jeff (2015-08-25). "Personal Digital Branding as a Professional Asset in the Digital Age". American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 79 (6): 79. doi:10.5688/ajpe79679. ISSN 0002-9459. PMC 4584371. PMID 26430266.