Digital branding is a brand management technique that uses a combination of internet branding and digital marketing to develop a brand over a range of digital venues, including internet-based relationships, device-based applications or media content. It has emerged strongly over the last decade along with its roots from direct marketing.
As opposed to digital marketing, branding aims to create connections between consumers and the product or service being delivered so that brand recognition is established in the digital world. In short, the goal of digital branding is not necessarily driving the sales today, but to enhance the awareness, image and style of the brand, in turn driving long term customer loyalty.
Brand establishment involves four key points:
- Building a digital brand story
- Creativity in digital media and marketing
- Digital channels and content distributed to channels based on consumer data and habits
- Creating digital relationships.
The digital impact on Branding
- There has been a prolonged chaos for information available about companies and consumers for ages. This increased limitations as access to information, geographical separation and interaction between customers. But now the existence of internet and websites which collect data and present us with comprehensive information, has facilitated more interaction between brands and customers.
- The companies now have a powerful means to showcase the brand identity and value in innovative and efficient forms. The digitalization has provided the brands to come up with novel ways of customer engagement and manage the consistency of their brand empowerment. It has heightened the connectivity between brands and customers that was lacking earlier.
- Another impact on branding practices is the emergence of value co-creation as an alternative way to long term customer relationships, customer loyalty and eventual profitability. Here, the joint effort is formed between the companies and customers during the various stages of the product. It strengthens the bond and builds loyalty and customer engagement. Coca-Cola is a great example of successful value co-creation.
- Alongside engaging with the customers, there is increasing and active collaboration between the companies and their business intermediaries. This leads to collaborative and healthy promotion, innovative re-designing and a sense of co-existence among competitors in the market. One example of this is how Coca-Cola collaborated with Heinz to develop more sustainable containers.
Digital branding channels
According to Mabbly CEO, Hank Ostholthoff, digital branding is facilitated by multiple channels. As an advertiser one's core objective is to find channels which result in maximum two way communication and a better overall ROI for the brand. There are multiple online marketing channels available, namely:
- New media marketing
- Cross-media marketing
- Retail media
- Affiliate marketing
- Display advertising
- Internet branding
- Game advertising
- Video advertising
- SMS Marketing
- Brand engagement
- Brand implementation
- Brand management
- Online advertising
- Search engine results page
- Social Credit System
- Social media marketing
- Visual marketing
- "What is 'digital branding'? - Smart Insights Digital Marketing Advice". Smart Insights. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
- Kompella, Kartikeya (2014-08-05). The Definitive Book of Branding. SAGE Publications India. ISBN 9789351501046.
- Chiles, David (2013-05-08). Apps: Everything You Need To Know. David Paul Chiles.
- Ostholthoff, Hank. "4 Ways to Master the Art of Digital Branding". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
- Shamoon, Sumaira, and Saiqa Tehseen. "Brand Management: What Next?" Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business 2.12 (2011): 435–441. Business Source Complete. Web. October 20, 2012.
- Wilson, Chris (21 April 2009). "Interview with Brand Consultant and Author Marty Neumeier". Fresh Peel. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Branding Definition". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Importance". Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "SEO in Digital Branding". Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- Wallace, Christopher (7 April 2010). "5 Key Strategies To Build Your Brand Online". Search Engine Land. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Digital Branding – Implications On Strategy". Martin Roll. Retrieved 18 March 2018.
- Pratik Dholakiya (14 April 2015). "3 Digital Marketing Channels That Work for Every Advertiser". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Jansen, B. J., Sobel, K., and Zhang, M. (2011) The Brand Effect of Key Phrases and Advertisements in Sponsored Search. International Journal of Electronic Commerce. 6(1), 77-106.
- "4 Important Digital Marketing Channels You Should Know About". Digital Doughnut. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Green, R. Kay (25 April 2013). "7 Highly-Effective Ways to Maximize Your Online Brand Presence". Huffington Post. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Fallon, Nicole (10 December 2013). "7 Highly-Effective Ways to Maximize Your Online Brand Presence". Business News Daily. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Ryan, Damian; Jones, Calvin (2009), Understanding digital marketing: marketing strategies for engaging the digital generation, Kogan Page, ISBN 0749453893
- Carter, Ben; Brooks, Gregory; Catalano, Frank; Smith, Bud (2007), Digital Marketing for Dummies, John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 9780470057933
|The Wikibook Marketing has a page on the topic of: Marketing|