Dorset Township, Ashtabula County, Ohio
|Dorset Township, Ashtabula County, Ohio|
Location of Dorset Township in Ashtabula County
|• Total||23.1 sq mi (59.8 km2)|
|• Land||23.1 sq mi (59.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||978 ft (298 m)|
|• Density||37/sq mi (14.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085725|
Located in the eastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Denmark Township - north
- Pierpont Township - northeast corner
- Richmond Township - east
- Andover Township - southeast corner
- Cherry Valley Township - south
- New Lyme Township - southwest corner
- Lenox Township - west
- Jefferson Township - northwest corner
Name and history
It is the only Dorset Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. Currently, the board is composed of chairman Herbert Dean and members James Bailey and Jeffrey Hinkle.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Dorset township, Ashtabula County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Ashtabula County, Ohio Ashtabula County, 2007. Accessed 2007-05-28.