Downers Grove Township, DuPage County, Illinois
Downers Grove Township
Location in DuPage County
DuPage County's location in Illinois
|Settled||November 6, 1849|
|• Supervisor||Mark S. Thoman (R)|
|• Total||50.93 sq mi (131.9 km2)|
|• Land||49.56 sq mi (128.4 km2)|
|• Water||1.36 sq mi (3.5 km2) 2.67%|
|Elevation||758 ft (231 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||2,961.9/sq mi (1,143.6/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
60439, 60480, 60514-60517, 60521, 60523, 60527, 60559, 60561
Downers Grove Township is one of nine townships in DuPage County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2010 census, its population was 146,795 and it contained 60,438 housing units. It is the largest township in the county, both in terms of area and population.
Downers Grove Township is named for Pierce Downer, who settled in the neighborhood about 1830.
In the mid 1800's Dexter Stanley donated land to build the Oak Hill Cemetery. Along with the adjacent Oak Crest Cemetery, both are still used today as Township maintained Cemeteries.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 50.93 square miles (131.9 km2), of which 49.56 square miles (128.4 km2) (or 97.31%) is land and 1.36 square miles (3.5 km2) (or 2.67%) is water.
Cities, towns, villages
- Bolingbrook (partial)
- Burr Ridge (west three-quarters)
- Clarendon Hills
- Downers Grove (southeast three-quarters)
- Hinsdale (partial)
- Lemont (partial)
- Oak Brook (partial)
- Westmont (south three-quarters)
- Woodridge (partial)
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Tedens at
(These towns are listed as "historical" by the USGS.)
The township contains these ten cemeteries: Cass, Clarendon Hills, Downers Grove, Fullersburg, Hinsdale Animal, Oak Crest, Oak Hill, Pierce Downer, Saint Johns Lutheran, Saint Mary of Gostyn and Saint Patricks Catholic.
Airports and landing strips
- Argonne Heliport
- Brookeridge Airpark
- Darien-Woodridge Fire Department Heliport
- Madison Avenue Venture Heliport
- Midwest Heliport
- Bruce Lake
- Golfview Lake
- Maple Lake
- Picadilly Lake
- Ruth Lake
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Dupage County Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve
|U.S. Decennial Census|
Elementary School Districts: Butler 53, Cass 63, Center Cass 66, 180, Darien 61, Downers Grove Grade 58, Gower 62, Hinsdale 181, Lemont-Bromberek 113A, Maercker 60 High School Districts: CHSD 99, Hinsdale Township 86, Lemont Township 210 Unit School Districts: Westmont Community Unit School District 201
- Illinois' 6th Congressional District
- Illinois' 8th Congressional District
- Illinois' 11th Congressional District
- State House District 47
- State House District 81
- State House District 82
- State Senate District 24
- State Senate District 41
- "Downers Grove Township, DuPage County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- United States Census Bureau 2008 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 108.
- "Cemeteries". Downers Grove Township. Downers Grove, Illinois. 2011. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.