|Village of Bloomingdale|
Location of Bloomingdale in DuPage County, Illinois.
|Re-incorporated||June 18, 1923|
|Founded by||Meacham Brothers|
(Lyman, Harvey and Silas)
|• President||Franco Coladipietro|
|• Total||7.02 sq mi (18.17 km2)|
|• Land||6.77 sq mi (17.53 km2)|
|• Water||0.25 sq mi (0.65 km2) 3.69%|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||3,262.15/sq mi (1,259.57/km2)|
|Up 1.6% from 2000|
|Standard of living (2008-12)|
|• Per capita income||$30,941|
|• Median home value||$209,200|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (Central)|
|Area codes||630 and 331|
Bloomingdale is one of the earliest villages settled in what is now DuPage County. The Meacham family settled here in 1833, and by the end of the following year, 12 to 15 families had settled in the locality. It was originally named Meacham's Grove. The community was served by the Chicago-Galena Highway, modern day Lake Street. It became an important stop for stage coaches and westward travelers. Originally a Cook County settlement, it was annexed by DuPage County in 1839. The northern part of the village wanted to develop commercially while the southern part wished to remain a farming community. In 1923, the village split to accommodate this—the northern portion of the town was incorporated as Roselle. From 1950 to 1980, the population increased from 338 to 12,659.
Points of interest
Stratford Square Mall, located at Springfield Road and Schick Road, is the largest of Bloomingdale's shopping centers. The indoor, landscaped mall contains three major department stores and more than 150 specialty shops and restaurants with three vacant anchors, one of which will become a supermarket. Also, Old Town Bloomingdale, at the intersection of Lake Street and Bloomingdale Road, is a collection of small businesses, restaurants and shops located in restored buildings at the original site of the village's first settlement.
Bloomingdale is located at (41.949540, -88.082564).
According to the 2010 census, Bloomingdale has a total area of 7.04 square miles (18.23 km2), of which 6.78 square miles (17.56 km2) (or 96.31%) is land and 0.26 square miles (0.67 km2) (or 3.69%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 21,675 people, 8,219 households, and 5,662 families residing in the village. The population density was 3,204.1 people per square mile (1,238.0/km²). There were 8,399 housing units at an average density of 1,241.6 per square mile (479.7/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 85.37% White, 2.57% African American, 0.12% Native American, 8.84% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 1.50% from other races, and 1.58% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.96% of the population.
There were 8,219 households out of which 30.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.4% were married couples living together, 8.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.1% were non-families. 24.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the village, the population was spread out with 21.7% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 31.1% from 25 to 44, 26.5% from 45 to 64, and 12.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 92.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.4 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $51,365, and the median income for a family was $78,889 (these figures had risen to $73,324 and $86,560 respectively as of a 2007 estimate). Males had a median income of $52,729 versus $35,827 for females. The per capita income for the village was $30,941. About 1.8% of families and 2.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.6% of those under age 18 and 3.0% of those age 65 or over.
Elementary school districts serving Bloomingdale include:
- Bloomingdale School District 13
- Community Consolidated School District 93
- It is headquartered in Bloomingdale and operates two schools in Bloomingdale: Stratford Middle School and the Early Childhood Center.
- Keeneyville School District 20
- Marquardt School District 15
- It operates Winnebago Elementary School in Bloomingdale.
- Medinah District 11
High school districts include:
- Glenbard Township High School District 87
- Lake Park High School (District 108) in Roselle
Bloomingdale has one private school, St. Isidore School.
Nearby private schools:
- St. Francis High School in Wheaton
- St. Matthew School in Glendale Heights
- St. Walter Catholic School in Roselle
- Trinity Lutheran School in Roselle
The community is served by the 35,000-square-foot (3,300 m2) Bloomingdale Public Library.
- Nate Fox, professional basketball player
- Austin Jones, YouTuber and musician
- Frank C. Rathje, president of the American Bankers Association, founder of the Mutual National Bank of Chicago
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jun 29, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- "Several Towns Named After Founders and Heroes". The Daily Herald. December 28, 1999. p. 220. Retrieved August 17, 2014 – via Newspapers.com.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-08-02.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on April 26, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Bloomingdale Area Schools." Village of Bloomingdale, Illinois. Retrieved on June 20, 2017. See: School district map which indicates elementary school and high school districts
- "Boundary Map Archived 2016-03-22 at the Wayback Machine." Glenbard Township High School District 87. Retrieved on June 20, 2017.
- "Zoning." Village of Bloomingdale, Illinois. Retrieved on June 20, 2017. Shows the exact village boundaries.
- "Bloomingdale Public Library." Village of Bloomingdale, Illinois. Retrieved on June 20, 2017.
- Fornek, Kimberly. "Hinsdale businessman sentenced to 70 years in murder of supposed romantic rival". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- Seidel, Jon (13 June 2017). "YouTube star Austin Jones charged with child porn counts in Chicago". Chicago Sun-Times.