Football World Championship
The Football World Championship was a friendly game between the English and Scottish champions in the late 19th and early 20th century.
The first two winners were Hibernian (1886) and Renton (in 1888) both Scottish Cup winners (as the leagues had not been yet created at the time). 1887 English participants Preston North End were the only team to take part without winning a trophy to qualify, having been FA Cup semi-finalists the season prior. The 1895 match, notable for being the first to be played by the respective league champions, was won by Sunderland who beat Heart of Midlothian 5–3. The Scottish and English leagues were pre-eminent in the world at that time, with the only league outside the UK being in Argentina.
|Year||Winner||Runner-up||Score||Date & Venue|
|1887||Hibernian||Preston North End||2–1||13 August 1887, Edinburgh.|
|1888||Renton||West Bromwich Albion||4–1||19 May 1888, Glasgow.|
|1895||Sunderland||Heart of Midlothian||5–3||27 April 1895, Tynecastle, Edinburgh.|
|1901–02||Heart of Midlothian||Tottenham Hotspur||3–1
|2 Sep 1901, High Road Ground (now White Hart Lane), London;
2 Jan 1902, Tynecastle, Edinburgh.
England vs. Scotland club tournaments
- British League Cup (1902)
- Empire Exhibition Trophy (1938)
- Coronation Cup (1953)
- Texaco Cup (1970-1975)
- Anglo-Scottish Cup (1975-1981)
International club tournaments
- Sir Thomas Lipton Trophy (1909-1911)
- Copa Rio (1951-1952)
- Small Club World Cup (1952-1970)
- Intercontinental Cup (1960-2004)
- FIFA Club World Cup (2000, 2005-present)
- Firsts Section: The Hibernian Historical Trust celebrate the milestones and records achieved by Hibernian Football Club. Hibernian Historical Trust. Recovered 17th Aug 2014.
- “Renton FC, Champions of the World”, Scottish Football Museum, recovered 17th Aug 2014.
- BBC - A Sporting Nation - Renton Crowned World Champions, BBC Scotland. Recovered 17th Aug 2014.
- "Sat 27 April 1895 Hearts 3 Sunderland 5". londonhearts.com. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "World Champions!". roker-roar.com. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Thu 02 Jan 1902 Hearts 3 Tottenham Hotspur 1". londonhearts.com. Retrieved 28 April 2013.