Ghida Fakhry moderating an event at the 2017 World Bank Group-IMF Spring Meetings
|Education||SOAS University of London|
|Occupation||Current Affairs Program Presenter with TRT World|
|Years active||1995 – present|
|Agent||Harry Walker Agency|
|Notable credit(s)||Witness (AJE) host|
Ghida Fakhry is an international broadcast journalist, and current affairs program presenter with TRT World based in Washington, DC, and a contributor to the Huffington Post. She was a lead anchor for the global news channel Al Jazeera English at its launch in Washington DC, and was later one of the primary anchors at the network's headquarters in Doha. She was also the host of Witness, an award-winning documentary program. She is a regular moderator of high-level conferences and panels organized by the World Bank, the United Nations, Governments and NGOs on global issues.
Ghida Fakhry pursued a bilingual education, French and English leading up to a French baccalaureate degree. She later completed her undergraduate studies in London and received a Master's degree in Near and Middle Eastern Studies from the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London, graduating with distinction in 1996, she also received a Master of Arts degree in International Relations. She is fluent in English, Arabic and French and is conversational in Spanish.
Ghida Fakhry started her career as a political correspondent for the London-based daily Asharq Al-Awsat. She later became New York Bureau Chief and Columnist covering the annual General Assembly meetings of the UN. As New York Correspondent and Bureau Chief for Al Jazeera in 2000 she covered the 9/11 attacks. Fakhry conducted interviews in Washington D.C. with U.S. Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, and the Secretary of State, Colin Powell, as well as several other senior State Department and Pentagon officials. She reported on location from Baghdad and Kabul in the summer of 2003 while traveling with Rumsfeld during his first trip to Iraq after the US-led invasion and covered his visit to the Abu Ghraib prison.
Fakhry has interviewed Muammar Gaddafi, Shimon Peres, Hamid Karzai, Evo Morales, Kofi Annan, Mary Robinson amongst others. In 2013 she moderated the opening session the 13th World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates in Warsaw, with the former South African president F. W. de Klerk, as well as Human Rights Day 2013 at the UN in Geneva. Fakhry also moderated the first global forum of the Alliance of Civilizations held in Madrid, Spain 2008, and the second global forum of the UNAOC in Istanbul 2009. She also moderated the opening and closing sessions of the 5th global forum of the UN Alliance of Civilizations in Vienna in 2013 with Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Ban Ki-moon and other political leaders.
- "NYTimes". Retrieved 19 October 2001.
- "Biography: Ghida Fakhry". Al Jazeera English. 2 August 2010. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Ghida Fakhry joins Al Jazeera International". AME Info. 24 April 2006. Archived from the original on 22 April 2009. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- Fakhry, Ghida (2005-04-11). "The Security Council's new line of work: Is Mehlis the right man?". Asharq Alawsat. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- Fakhry, Ghida (4 December 2002). "Secretary Rumsfeld Interview With LBC TV And Al Hayat Newspaper". U. S. Department of Defence. Archived from the original on 1 March 2011. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Powell Says Progress Being Achieved in Iraq". GlobalSecurity.org. Retrieved 10 March 2011.