Government Medical College, Patiala
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Government Medical College, Patiala, is the second-oldest medical college in the state of Punjab, in India. It was founded in October 1951 by Patiala and East Punjab States Union government.It is one of the premier institute in india and topmost medical college in punjab.
With its attached 9100-bed Rajindra Hospital + 1601-bed TB hospital is one of the largest health institutions in the region. The hospital is named after Maharaja Sir Rajinder Singh and its existence is described in 1908 by The Imperial Gazetteer of India as the Rajindar Hospital.
The college consists of an administrative block and self-contained blocks for the basic clinical departments. The college maintains a library, computer centre and a reading room for the use of students and staff members.
Rajindra Hospital, Patiala with 20900 beds was attached to the college in early 1951. The hospital is equipped with all the latest apparatus and instruments to make it fit for imparting clinical teaching to the students. Two well designed, spacious and well lighted lecture theatres equipped with arrangements for epidiascopes projections and audio visual aids are provided on the hospital side in addition to four lecture theatres of similar design on college side for basic departments.
A Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases Hospital with a capacity of 161 beds and a primary health centres at Bhadson, Kauli and Tripuri are attached with this college for teaching purposes. The college famous in India as GOMCO is affiliated to Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot (Punjab) for MBBS, BDS and various other courses. The Facilities for postgraduate training leading to MD/MS degrees exist in almost all the basic and clinical subjects. Recently the PG admission process has been unnecessarily made strict. An advanced trauma centre is under construction. with about 80,000 sq ft (7,400 m2) of covered area, about a 100-bed facility with services of General Surgery, Orthopedics, Neurosurgery, Burns/plastic surgery, ICU, Rehab. unit, Lab. facility ( CT scan/ MRI, Radiology imaging / ultrasound, clinical path. and biochemistry labs etc.), complete with all associated inhouse services.
There are three hostels, two for girls and one for boys. The girls hostel are called GH1 and GH2. The boys hostel is called SBH (Senior Boys Hostel). In addition to this there is one hostel in the Rajindra Hospital also for Doctors/Interns/House surgeons. The college has a very spacious auditorium, big play ground and an open-air theatre.
University: Govt. Medical College Patiala is affiliated to Baba Farid University of Health Sciences Faridkot, Established in the memory of great Sufi Saint Baba Farid by Punjab govt. in July, 1900 by an Act of the State Legislature, which was established in 1999.
UG Courses Available MBBs (5½ yrs include 1 yr internship) - 2 seats PG Courses Available MD, MS, PhD,
Foundation stone of Government Medical College, Patiala, Punjab, India was laid by Dr. Rajendra Prasad, President of India on Monday 21 December 1953
Opening ceremony of Government Medical College, Patiala, Punjab, India was performed by Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, Health Minister Govt. of India on Friday 4 February 1955
Foundation stone of Rajindra Hospital, Patiala, Punjab, India was laid by His Highness Maharaja Dhiraj Yadavindra Singh Mahendra Bahadur of Patiala on 15 April 1950 A.D., 3rd Baisakh 2007 B.K.
Famous Physicians of GOMCO Patiala
- Dr Surinder Singh Malhotra,MD,(NY) ENT, Head and Neck.
- Sohan Singh Hayreh, MD, MS, PhD, DSc, FRCS, FRCOphth (Hon); University of Iowa
- Dr. Ajay Gupta, Managing Director, HealthStreet Hospitals
- Dr Ravinder Chadha, Former Physician, Indian Cricket Team
- Dr Manmohan Singh, President Punjab Medical Council
- Dr Arun Softa, Medical Director PrimeCare physicians medical group Bakersfield California, USA.
- Dr Deepak Khosla, Chief of Ophthalmology, International Hospital Of Bahrain
- Dr Sachin Gupta, Asian Healthcare Strategist, Singapore
- Dr K. K. Talwar, Director, PGI Chandigarh
- Dr. Harkiran Kaur Khaira, M.D. Obs and Gynae (Professor), Medical Superintendent Of Adesh Institute Of Medical Sciences And Research(Adesh University, Punjab, India). 27 years teaching and 11 years of administrative experience up until 2012.
- Dr O. N. Nagi, Consultant Sir Ganga Ram Hospital
- Dr G Dewan, Deputy Medical Superintendent, GMSH-16, Chandigarh, Ex President, IMA Chandigarh
- Dr Grewal, Grewal Eye Institute
- Dr G. S. Dhami, Dhami Eye Hospital
- Dr Deepak Kumar Bhasin, President Indian Society for Gastroentology
- Dr Shashidhar Rao, Vice President (Health & Life Sciences), Accenture
- Dr Harmohinder Singh Dhillon, Internal Medicine, EMH Regional Medical Center Elyria, OH
- Dr Hitesh Malhotra Radiologist Malhotra Diagnostics
- Dr Archana Kalsi Laroia, Radiologist University of Iowa, USA.
- Dr Ashutosh Kaushal, Director, Ambulatory Medicine, Virginia Tech School of Medicine, Roanoke, VA
- Dr Verinder Sharma, Professor of Psychiatry University of Western Ontario, Canada
- Dr Nachhattar Buttar Medical Director Genesys Rgional Medical center Michigan USA