Screenshot of gramps (v. 4.2.2) with its fan chart and the pedigree gramplet on the right.
|Original author(s)||Don Allingham|
|Developer(s)||The Gramps Team|
|Initial release||April 21, 2001|
|Stable release||Current: 4.2.3 (10 April 2016)
Legacy: 3.4.9 (30 April 2015)
5.0.0-alpha1/ 4 June 2016
|Written in||Python (GTK+ 3)|
|Operating system||Linux, BSD, Solaris, Windows, OS X|
Current: GTK+ 3
|Available in||Multilingual (40)|
|License||GNU General Public License|
Gramps (formerly GRAMPS, an acronym for Genealogical Research and Analysis Management Programming System) is Free and open source genealogy software. Gramps is programmed in Python using PyGObject. It uses Graphviz to create relationship graphs.
- Supports multiple languages and cultures.
- Generates reports in multiple formats, including .odt, LaTeX, .pdf, .rtf, .html, and .txt.
- Gramps is easily extended via plugins called Gramplets. A Gramplet is a view of data that either changes dynamically during the running of Gramps, or provides interactivity to your genealogical data.
|Internet media type||
(18 August 2015)
|Type of format||Genealogy data exchange|
|Type code||.tar.gz archive|
|Type of format||Genealogy data exchange|
|Container for||Gramps XML and referenced media|
The core export file format of Gramps is named Gramps XML and uses the file extension .gramps. It is extended from XML. Gramps XML is a free format. Gramps usually compresses Gramps XML files with gzip. The file format Portable Gramps XML Package uses the extension .gpkg and is currently a .tar.gz archive including Gramps XML together with all referenced media. The user may rename the file extension .gramps to .gz for editing the content of the genealogy document with a text editor. Internally, Gramps uses Berkeley DB as the working database format.
Programs that support Gramps XML
- PhpGedView (version 4.1 and up) supports output to Gramps XML.
- GrampsXMLview - uses PHP to display the contents of a Gramps XML on your website.
- The script tmg2gramps by Anne Jessel converts The Master Genealogist v6 genealogy software datafile to a Gramps v2.2.6 XML.
- The Gramps PHP component Joomlagen for Joomla uses an upload of the GRAMPS XML database export to show genealogical information and overviews. Joomlagen is compatible with GRAMPS 3.3.0.
Gramps is available in 40 languages (December 2014).
Gramps also has two special use sub-translation languages:
- Animal pedigree which allows to keep track of the pedigree and breed of animals
- Same gender/sex which makes using Gramps far more intuitive when dealing with a same gender family.
- GRAMPS 1.0.0 "Stable as a Tombstone" released - 11 February 2004 - Used XML to store all information.
- GRAMPS 2.0.0 "The Bright Side of Life" released - 11 May 2005 - Introduction of the Berkeley database backend.
- GRAMPS 2.2.1 "One, two, five!" released - 30 October 2006 - Originally only available for Unix-like operating systems, with this release GRAMPS became available for Windows.
- GRAMPS 3.0.0 "It was just getting interesting." released - 24 March 2008 - Introduced the new Family Tree database format .gpkg and deprecated the old .grdb database format. Plugin system called "Gramplets".
- GRAMPS 3.4.0 "always look on the bright side of life" released - 21 May 2012 - Replaced Source References with Citations that allow sharing and can have media objects and 'data' elements attached to them. The Gramps XML Specification was updated to make it idempotent.
- Gramps 4.0.0 "The Miracle of Birth" released - 21 May 2013 - Conversion to GTK+ 3, add support for Python 3. Keeps the same data format as GRAMPS 3.4.
- Gramps 4.1.0 "Name go in book" released - 18 June 2014 - Full Python 3 support. New place hierarchies model. Different data format to the GRAMPS 3.4 series.
- Gramps 4.2.0 released - 3 August 2015 - Python 3 support only (Python 2 support dropped). Different data format to the GRAMPS 3.4 series.
- Allingham, Don (21 April 2006). "Looking Back Over 5 Years". Gramps blog.
- "History of Gramps". Gramps Wiki.
- Releases · gramps-project/gramps, GitHub
- gramps-announce - SourceForge.net
- Gramps on SourceForge.net
- Gramps 3.4.9 released, This is a maintenance release designed for still running gramps with gtk2. The database is common between version 4.0.x and 3.4.x branch, most differences are into interface...
- Installation - Gramps
- "Gramps translations". Gramps Wiki.
- Features - Gramps
- Relationship Calculator - Gramps
- Gramplets - Gramps, Gramps Wiki
- Gramps XML - Gramps Wiki
- GRAMPS XML is the XML format designed for storing GRAMPS data. Gramps Wiki
- Generate XML - Why doesn't GRAMPS just use a .gz extension? - Gramps
- How to make a backup - Gramps
- "Import from another program". Gramps wiki.
- GeneWeb - The GW format
- Web Family Tree - simonward.com
- PhpGedView @ Neumont University -
*Clippings Cart (v4.1)
** Add option to zip the GEDCOM/Gramps XML with the associated media files Gramps XML
*Gramps XML (v4.1)
** Add option to download entire GEDCOM in Gramps XML form
** Add option to retrieve raw data from the SOAP web service in Gramps XML format
** Gramps XML export support to include full source and media support
- Animal pedigree, Gramps Wiki
- 0003346: Same gender relationship reports Gramps Bugtracker
- Previous releases of Gramps, Gramps Wiki
- Place hierarchies, Gramps 4.1 Wiki Manual - What's new? - Gramps
- Enhanced Place Editor and new Place Name editor and added PlaceNames (with Date and Language) Place, Gramps 4.2 Wiki Manual - What's new? - Gramps
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gramps.|
- Gramps project page
- Gramps-project on GitHub - Source code
- Gramps on SourceForge.net - Mailing List
- Reviews on Gramps
- Genealogy research with Gramps. LWN.net 2014.
This article contains text from the GNU GPL Gramps Manual V2.9.