Great Portland Street tube station
|Great Portland Street|
Station as seen from above looking north towards Regents Place
Location of Great Portland Street in Central London
|Location||Great Portland Street|
|Local authority||City of Westminster|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portalCoordinates:|
Great Portland Street is a London Underground station near Regent's Park. It is between Baker Street and Euston Square on the Hammersmith & City, Circle and Metropolitan lines. Great Portland Street station is listed as a building of National Significance and lies in Travelcard Zone 1.
The station was part of the world's first underground railway, the Metropolitan Railway, which opened between "Bishop's Road" (now Paddington) on the Hammersmith & City line and "Farringdon Street" (close to the present-day Farringdon station). It was opened on 10 January 1863 as "Portland Road", renamed "Great Portland Street and Regents Park" in 1923 and changed to its present name on 1 March 1917.
The current structure was built in 1930 on a traffic island on the Marylebone Road at its intersection with Great Portland Street and Albany Street. Its construction is a steel framed cream terracotta clad exterior, with the perimeter providing shops and originally a car showroom with office space over the station. Great Portland Street was at a major sales location for the motor industry. It was designed by the architect C.W. Fowler and Grade II listed in January 1987.
The station lies at the northern end of Great Portland Street - a main road which marks the border between Marylebone and Fitzrovia. Local points of interest include Regent's Park, Marylebone's Holy Trinity Church, Fitzrovia's Post Office Tower and Regent's Place.
The station lies across the street from the main building of International Students House, a student residence and hostel and is also near the Harley Street medical district, famous for its doctors and surgeons.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. June 2015. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- English Heritage Listed Building Entry Number: 1213650 http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1213650
- London Underground Station Heritage Board, accessed 10 January 2013[full citation needed]
- "About us". Fitzrovia Neighbourhood Association. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "The Marylebone Association Constitution" (PDF). 14 May 1996. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- Orientation of the station above ground may be accessed via these videos of "Great Portland Street Station exterior and surroundings".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Great Portland Street tube station.|
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
|Hammersmith & City line||