|MERS-CoV particles as seen by negative stain electron microscopy. Virions contain characteristic club-like projections emanating from the viral membrane.|
|Group:||Group IV ((+)ssRNA)|
HCoV-EMC/2012, or Human Coronavirus Erasmus Medical Center/2012 is the name of a novel strain of coronavirus isolated from the sputum of the first person to become infected with what was later named Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus, or MERS-CoV.
An investigation of bat roosts in Bisha, the hometown of the index patient, by the Saudi Ministry of Health discovered an Egyptian tomb bat in a large roost close to the index patient's home. Phylogenetic analysis showed a 100% match between the virus isolated from the bat and HCoV-EMC/2012 isolated from the index patient.
HCoV-EMC/2012 is the sixth coronavirus known to infect humans and the first human virus within betacoronavirus lineage C. It is a new genotype which is related to bat coronaviruses, specifically an Egyptian tomb bat, and is not the same beta-CoV as the SARS-CoV, but is distantly related.
- Zaki, AM; van Boheemen, S; Bestebroer, TM; Osterhaus, AD; Fouchier, RA (2012). "Isolation of a novel coronavirus from a man with pneumonia in Saudi Arabia". N Engl J Med. 367 (19): 1814–20. doi:10.1056/nejmoa1211721. PMID 23075143.
- Holmes, KV; Dominguez, SR (Jan 2013). "The new age of virus discovery: genomic analysis of a novel human betacoronavirus isolated from a fatal case of pneumonia". Molecular Bio. 4 (1): e00548–12.
- Van Boheemen, S; de Graaf, M; Lauber, C; Bestebroer, TM; Raj, VS; Zaki, AM; Osterhaus, AD; Haagmans, BL; Gorbalenya, AE; Snijder, EJ; Fouchier, RA (Nov 2012). "Genomic characterization of a newly discovered coronavirus associated with acute respiratory distress syndrome in humans". Molecular Bio. 3: 6.
- Chan, JF; Li, KS; To, KK; Cheng, VC; Chen, H; Yuen, KY (2013-03-25). "Is the discovery of the novel human betacoronavirus 2c EMC/2012 (HCoV-EMC) the beginning of another SARS-like pandemic?". J Infect. 65 (6): 477–89. doi:10.1016/j.jinf.2012.10.002. PMID 23072791.
- Memish, Ziad A.; Mishra, Nischay; Olival, Kevin J.; Fagbo, Shamsudeen F.; Kapoor, Vishal; Epstein, Jonathan H.; Alhakeem, Rafat; Durosinloun, Abdulkareem; Al Asmari, Mushabab; Islam, Ariful; Kapoor, Amit; Briese, Thomas; Daszak, Peter; Al Rabeeah, Abdullah A.; Lipkin, W. Ian (2013). "Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus in Bats, Saudi Arabia". Emerging Infectious Diseases. 19 (11): 1819–23. doi:10.3201/eid1911.131172. PMC 3837665. PMID 24206838.
- Chan, JF; Li, KS; To, KK; Cheng, VC; Chen, H; Yuen, KY (Dec 2012). "Is the discovery of the novel human betacoronavirus 2c EMC/2012 (HCoV-EMC) the beginning of another SARS-like pandemic?". J Infect. 65 (6): 477–89. doi:10.1016/j.jinf.2012.10.002. PMID 23072791.