Harbor Gateway Transit Center
Harbor Gateway Transit Center
|Location||731 W. 182nd St., Gardena, CA 90248|
|Platforms||12 bay island platform|
|Connections||Metro Silver Line, Metro Local, Metro Limited and Metro Express ; municipal transit bus lines.|
|Parking||900 "Park and Ride" lot spaces|
|Opened||June, 1996 ; Re-branded as a Metro Silver Line station on December 13, 2009.|
Harbor Gateway Transit Center (formerly Artesia Transit Center) is a Metro Silver Line station and a large bus station at southern end of the Harbor Transitway located in the southwest corner of Interstate 110 (Harbor Freeway) and State Route 91 (Gardena Freeway) in Harbor Gateway, Los Angeles, close to Carson. The station has 12 bus bays and 900 park and ride spaces, and is the southern terminus of the Metro Silver Line (line 910 only). Many passengers connect to this station from other buses to transfer to the Silver Line. Public restrooms for passengers as began installation in October 2012 and opened in February 2013. The nextrip bus screens were installed in November 2012 and became fully functional in April 2013. The large hub is undergoing station improvements.
Metro renamed the Artesia Transit Center to the Harbor Gateway Transit Center during December 2011 but completed the process by June 2013. The Metro pylon sign installed in May 2012 displays the station's name as Artesia Transit Center, but it was renamed to display "Harbor Gateway Transit Center." The station name signs were changed to reflect the new station's name.
On August 17, 2012, Metro Silver Line launched Expanded Late-Night Service for the line on Fridays and Saturdays. Metro added 1 new additional late night trip for the Silver line, both directions on Fridays and Saturdays. The late night service enhancement does not apply on Sundays nor on Mondays-Fridays. On Fridays and Saturdays, the last Metro Silver Line bus to Downtown Los Angeles and El Monte Bus Station departs at 1:56 a.m.
On November 18, 2012 Torrance Transit added a new bus route that operates between Downtown Los Angeles, Harbor Gateway Transit Center and Torrance. Torrance transit line 4 line only runs during Mondays-Fridays during the peak hour. The line follows the Metro Silver Line route until terminating in Downtown Los Angeles: Union Station.
On January 28, 2013 Metro added station art to the transit hub. This is one of the several improvements made as part of the Metro Express Lanes project. Thus, this is Metro Silver Line's 4th station to have station art. The other 3 include: Los Angeles County & USC Medical Center Station, Cal State LA Station & El Monte Station. The art sculpture was developed by Alison Saar. The sculpture displays a willow tree, while on the east face a willow spirit, shown here, emerges mysteriously from the tree. Metro is changing the signage of the station to reflect the new name of the station.
On March 8, 2013 Metro's South Bay Council staff discussed the completed station improvements and other upcoming improvements to the station's design. The Harbor Gateway Transit Center is receiving signage and wayfinding improvements in two phases. Phase 1 will replace the station name signs on the benches to the new station name. Wayfinding signage will be installed in several parts of the station to help direct passengers from the parking lot to the bus station. The current non-working clock will be replaced by the Metro logo sign. Bus arrival pillars similar to the ones installed in the El Monte Station will be installed in the bus bays. Phase 2 signage is being designed, but Metro plans to add an 80-foot pillar near the area between the I-110 freeway and the Harbor Gateway Transit Center. The tall pillar will have the Metro Silver Line's silver color and the Metro logo at the near top. Moreover, the pillar will look similar to the one installed at the El Monte Station.
As of April 2016 two TAP card vending machines have been added. Currently there are no ATM's at this location.
There are two automated restrooms located near Bay 12.
Pedestrian and parking access is via Cassidy Street & Vermont Avenue and from near 182nd Street & Hoover Street. Transitway services which continue southbound to Carson station use Figueroa Street. There are plenty of bus benches throughout the station. Metro Silver Line heading north to Downtown Los Angeles and El Monte Bus Station departs from bus bay #6. All southbound Metro Silver Line trips end at this transit center and disembark passengers at bays 7-9.
- Bay 1- Carson Circuit: North / South Shuttle
- Bay 2- Torrance Transit: 6 (East), Metro Local: 130 (East), 205 (North)
- Bay 3- Gardena Transit: 4, Metro Local: 52
- Bay 4- Metro Local: 130 (West), 344
- Bay 5- Metro Express: 550 (North), Torrance Transit: 1 (North), 4 (North)
- Bay 6- Metro Silver Line (North)
- Bays 7-9 - Discharge for southbound line 910 trips only on the Metro Silver Line, Discharge only for Metro Local buses ending at Harbor Gateway Transit Center.
- Bay 10- Metro Local: 246, Metro Express: 550 (South)
- Bay 11- Gardena Transit: 2 (South), Metro Local: 205 (South), Torrance Transit: 6 (West)
- Bay 12- Gardena Transit: 2 (North), Torrance Transit: 1 (South), 4 (South)
Los Angeles Metro Bus Services
The following is a list of bus services operated by Los Angeles Metro: Metro Local Lines 52, 130, 205, 246, and Limited Line 344 operate daily. Metro Express Line 550 operates further north to Expo Park/USC Expo Line Station only during weekday rush hours only. During other times, passengers with destinations to Downtown Los Angeles will need to transfer to the Metro Silver Line which operates on the I-110 Harbor Transitway throughout the entire day. Metro Silver Line runs a 24-hour service for line 910 only, departing to El Monte.
- Metro Local: 52, 130, 205, 246, 344 (Metro Limited)
- Metro Express: 550
- Metro Silver Line
- Dodger Stadium Express (home games during baseball season only)
Municipal Bus Services
- Carson Circuit: North / South Shuttle
- Galaxy Express (home games during soccer season only)
- Gardena Transit: 2, 4
- Torrance Transit: 1, 4, 6
Nearby Dining and Attractions
- The Home Depot (Across the street)
- South Garden Park
- Sam's Club
- Gardena Gateway Center (Shops and Restaurants)
- Taco Bell
- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
- "Good News – Metro Silver Line Launches Expanded Late-Night Service Friday, Aug. 17". Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- "New Metro Silver Line art installed at Harbor Gateway Transit Center". 2013-01-28. Retrieved 2013-01-28.
- "REPORT ON Harbor Gateway Transit Center IMPROVEMENTS South Bay Service Council, March 8, 2013" (PDF). Retrieved 2013-03-22.
Media related to Harbor Gateway Transit Center at Wikimedia Commons