Harborne Primary School
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Established||1 September 2000|
|Principal||Mr Mark Slater|
|Head of School||Mrs Mandy Hughes|
|Chair of the Governors||Karen Mackenzie|
|DfE URN||132261 Tables|
|Colours||Red and Yellow|
In 2015 the school submitted plans to build an annex site, on the ground of Lordswood Girls' School, to expand the school from 630 to 1050 places. The plans were opposed by residents of the nearby Hagley Road Retirement Village. Further plans were submitted for a site on Court Oak Road, near Queen Alexandra College, to expand the school to 840 pupil places. In preparation for the expansion, the school will accept a further 30 reception children on its main site in September 2018. The one form entry annex has a planned opening date of September 2019.
On 27 April 2011, a roof fire caused significant damage to the structure of the junior school. More than 60 firefighters tackled the blaze. None of the pupils or staff were injured. The infant school reopened a week later, with the juniors moved to nearby Harborne Hall hotel for six months whilst the rebuild took place. Birmingham City Council awarded the school £1.3 million for the rebuild project, which was completed a year later, in April 2012.
Former Assistant Head Teacher Jailed for Child Sex Pictures
On 18th September, Former Head Assistant, Mr Andrew Shelton, was locked up for nearly three years. He was caught with indecent images of children. The 52-year-old regularly encouraged the youngster and other children to send him explicit images. Officers were alerted to his contact with the teenager over Skype across March and April 2017. Shelton was found to have 93 indecent images across his computer and mobile phone; along with evidence that he had messaged other youngsters and searched for indecent images of children. The 52-year-old admitted eight charges, including attempted sexual communication with a child, trying to incite a girl under 13 to engage in sexual activity and possessing indecent images of children. He was jailed for two years and eight months at Wolverhampton Crown Court on Tuesday (18 September). He no longer works as a teacher and none of the charges related to his role.
- "Governors". Harborne Primary School. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- "EduBase Harborne Primary School". Department for Education. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- "Ofsted Information". Ofsted. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "Harborne Primary School fire update: All staff and children evacuated safely". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "Harborne Primary School - retirement village residents oppose new annexe". 5 Oct 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "School Organisation: Harborne Primary School Expansion 2019". 12 April 2018. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "SProposal for enlargement of a community primary school by expansion" (PDF). Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "Harborne Primary School roof catches fire in Birmingham". BBC News. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "Hotel to house fire-struck Harborne school". BBC News. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "Harborne Primary School work to start after fire". BBC News. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "Former Harborne Primary School teacher Andrew Shelton jailed for sick child sex pictures". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
|This West Midlands school or sixth form college related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|