||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
17 January 1950 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Spouse||Javed Akhtar (divorced)|
Personal life and background
Honey Irani was born into an Irani, Zoroastrian family in Mumbai. She wed Javed Akhtar on 21 March 1972, but the marriage ended in divorce. They have two children. A daughter, Zoya Akhtar and a son, Farhan Akhtar both filmmakers.
After her divorce she started doing embroidery on sarees to support her family. Though she has been writing short stories all this while, she never shared them. She told the story idea of Aaina (1993) to Pam Chopra,wife of Yash Chopra for a TV series but it was selected by Yash Chopra for a film. Yash Chopra also asked her to develop a story idea, which went on to become her debut as a screenwriter, Lamhe (1991), starring Sridevi. The film saw mediocre success but she won the Filmfare Award for Best Story for the film and it paved her way for a successful career as screenwriter. She won the award again for Kya Kehna in 2002, besides winning Filmfare Award for Best Screenplay with Ravi Kapoor for blockbuster Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai in 2001.
|1992||Lamhe||Filmfare Award||Filmfare Award for Best Story||Won|
|2001||Kya Kehna||Filmfare Award||Filmfare Award for Best Story||Won|
|2002||Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai||Filmfare Award||Filmfare Award for Best Screenplay||Won|
- Krrish 3 (2013)
- Har Pall (2007)
- Krrish (2006), screenplay
- Koi... Mil Gaya (2003), screenplay
- Armaan (2003), screenplay and story
- Albela (2001)
- Kya Kehna (2000)
- Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai (2000), screenplay
- Laawaris (1999), screenplay and story
- Jab Pyaar Kisise Hota Hai (1998), screenplay and story
- Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya (1997), story
- Suhaag (1994), screenplay
- Darr (1993), screenplay and story
- Aaina (1993), screenplay and story (also assistant dialogue writer)
- Parampara (1992), screenplay and story
- Lamhe (1991), screenplay and story
- Seeta Aur Geeta (1972), as Sheila
- Amar Prem (1971)
- Kati Patang (1970) as Manorama ("Munni")
- Chandi Ki Deewar (1964)
- Soorat Aur Seerat (1962)
- Amar Rahe Yeh Pyar (1961)
- Chirag Kahan Roshni Kahan (1959)
- Qaidi No. 911 (1959)
- Pyar ki Pyas (1961) as Geeta.
- Zameen Ke Taare (1960).
- Masoom (1960).
- Armaan (2003)
- "‘Shabana and I are not sahelis’". Filmfare. 2 July 2012. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- "Honey Irani – Sweet Taste of Success", india-today.com; accessed 1 December 2014.
- Rana A. Siddiqui (22 May 2003). "Honey Irani... happy and sweet". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "Everyone would be crying. It was great", rediff.com; accessed 1 December 2014.
|This article about an Indian writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|