House of Al Falasi
|House of Al Falasi|
Coat of arms of Dubai
|Country||United Arab Emirates|
|Estate(s)||Zabeel Palace Nad Al Sheba Palace|
|Cadet branches||Bani Yas House of Al Falahi Al Maktoum|
The Al Maktoum family descends from the Al Bu Falasah (now known as Al-Falasi) section of the Bani Yas, a tribal federation that has been the dominant power throughout most of what is now the United Arab Emirates. In 1833, a large group of the Al Bu Falasah section of the Bani Yas seceded to Dubai during the pearling season, under the leadership of Maktoum bin Butti bin Sohal, escaping the violence of Sheikh Khalifah of Abu Dhabi. Dubai was readily given up to them by its wali. The following autumn, the bulk of their relatives joined them and virtually all of the Al Bu Falasah were domiciled in Dubai from then on.
Sheikh Maktoum bin Hasher Al Maktoum (Ruler from 1894-1906) convinced merchants from Lingeh in Iran to stay in the city by assuring zero taxation. A more modern cosmopolitan city as well as a business friendly orientation was later established, which is what Dubai is now known for. By the 1930s the population of Dubai nearly reached 20,000, a quarter of whom were expatriates.
In the 1950s the Dubai Creek began to silt up. The late Ruler of Dubai Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum comminisioned the dredging of the waterway; resulting in an increased volume of cargo handling in Dubai, reinforcing Dubai's position as a re-export and tradinghub.
Timeline of rulers of Dubai
Members of Al Falasi
- Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum - Ruler of Dubai, and leader of the tribe
- Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum
- Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum - Crown Prince of Dubai
- Haya bint Hussein (by marriage) - Princess of Jordan
- Rashid bin Mohammed Al Maktoum - (1981-2015) (Previous Crown Prince - title was removed)
- Maktoum bin Mohammed Al Maktoum - Deputy Ruler of Dubai
- Saeed bin Butti - Ruler of Dubai (1852-1859)
- Obeid bin Said bin Rashid - Ruler of Dubai (1833–36)
- Hushur bin Maktoum- Ruler of Dubai (1859-1886)
- Mani bin Rashid - Ruler of Dubai (1929-1929)
- Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum - Ruler of Dubai (1958-1990)
- Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum - Ruler of Dubai, and Vice President of the UAE (1990-2006)
- Butti bin Suhail Al Maktoum - Ruler of Dubai (1906-1912)
- Saeed bin Maktoum bin Hasher Al Maktoum - Ruler of Dubai (1912-1958)
- Maktoum bin Butti bin Suhail - Ruler of Dubai (1833-1852)
- Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum - president of the Department of Civil Aviation, CEO and chairman of The Emirates Group and Chairman of Dubai World
- Lahej Saif Saeed Al Falasi - Chairman Of Academy of Technical Training
- Ahmed bin Rashid Al Maktoum -Major General
- Sultan bin Ahmed bin Sulayem - XChairman, Dubai World
- Mohammad Ali Bin Zayed Al Falasi - Vice Governor of UAE Central Bank[unreliable source?][verification needed][failed verification]
- Maitha bint Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum - Olympic Athlete in Karate and Taekwondo
- Manal bint Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum - Emirati Politician
- Latifa bint Mohammed Al Maktoum (II)
- Majid bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum - Philanthropist
- Mohammad bin Abdallah Al Gaz - Former Chairman of the UAE Central Bank (1930-2016)
- Jamal Mohammed Al Hai - Executive Senior Vice President of Dubai International Airport, UAE parliament member.
- Saeed bin Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum - Olympic Athlete
Coat of arms
The coats of arms of the House of Al Falasi is simply described as إمارة دبي, i.e., Emirate of Dubai which is represented by a Falcon (The National bird of the UAE).
- "Bani Yas". Archived from the original on 14 March 2006.
- Heard-Bey, Frauke (2005). From Trucial States to United Arab Emirates : a society in transition. London: Motivate. p. 465. ISBN 1860631673. OCLC 64689681.
- Wilson, Graeme (1999). Father of Dubai. Media Prima. p. 31.
- "Dubai past and present".
- "Dubai's History".
- Arab Decision website information.
- "Jamal Mohammed Matar Al-Hai". 4-Traders. Surperformance. Retrieved 23 March 2016.