Housefull (1999 film)
|Directed by||R. Parthiepan|
|Written by||R. Parthiepan|
|Cinematography||M. V. Panneerselvam|
|Edited by||M. N. Raja|
Housefull is a 1999 Indian Tamil-language thriller film written and directed by R. Parthiepan. The film stars himself along with Vikram, Roja and Suvalakshmi. The film was produced by Parthiban's children under Bioscope Film Framers. The film's score and soundtrack are composed by Ilaiyaraaja. The film has won National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Tamil at 46th National Film Awards.
Parthiban plays Ayya, a respected man who runs a cinema theatre. The story begins when bombs are placed inside the theatre during a movie. Surya and Rattan play police officers who want to defuse the bombs without letting the audience know. Vikram plays a man inside the theatre, and Suvalakshmi the woman outside who loves him.
Ayya's ex-wife (played by Jayanti) does not help when she makes a tear-filled request to him to evacuate the theatre, against the police's advice. By the time Ayya makes a decision, however, Suvalakshmi has snuck in and warned Vikram; others, hearing her words, begin to run out of the theatre. Panic ensues as everyone makes a mad dash for the door.
Ayya helps the audience to get out of the theatre without caring for his own life. Finally when everyone is evacuated, Ayya also comes out of the theatre. Suddenly, the sound of a baby cry is heard inside the theatre. Ayya rushes into the theatre with the hope of saving the baby but the sound is just a scene in the movie that was actually getting played. The bomb explodes and Ayya is dead.
- Parthiban as Ayya
- Vikram as Hamid
- Roja as Writer
- Suvalakshmi as Indhu
- Aishwarya as Christine
- Swathi as Stella
- Jayanthi as Ayya's estranged wife
- Vadivelu as Vadivelu
- Nair Raman as Theatre manager
- Surya as Police commissioner
- Laxmi Rattan as Director general of police
- J. Prabhakar
- S. V. Ramadas as Security guard
- Kalidoss as Thamizh
- Senbhaga Muthu
- Rowdy Rathnam as Rathnam
- Baby Sujitha
- Mayilsamy as Indigenous man
- Bhanusri as Indigenous woman
- D. R. K. Kiran as Journalist (uncredited role)
- Karu Pazhaniappan as Journalist (uncredited role)
- Cheran Raj as Police officer (uncredited role)
- Pasupathy as Corrupt cop (uncredited role)
- Priyanka as Control room operator (uncredited role)
Parthiban revealed that he made this film without written script. Every thing from dialogues, shots, etc., are done on the day of the shooting at shooting site. He said this during an interview with Baradwaj Rangan
The film received positive reviews from critics who praised the film's concept, Parthiban's acting and direction. However BBThots wrote "Another example where a commendable effort does not always make for interesting viewing".
- "46th National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 12 March 2012.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq-lfEDnfUU at 11:16 he reveals