Islip railway station
|Managed by||Chiltern Railways|
|Classification||DfT category F2|
|Original company||Buckinghamshire Railway|
|Pre-grouping||London and North Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway |
London Midland Region of British Railways
|1 October 1850||Opened|
|1 January 1968||Closed|
|13 May 1989||Reopened|
|15 February 2014||Closed to rail traffic during line upgrade|
|26 October 2015||Reopened|
Passenger statistics from the Office of Rail and Road
Islip railway station serves the village of Islip, Oxfordshire, England. Islip is north-east of Oxford. Services run south to Oxford, 5 miles (8 km) away, and north-east to Bicester Town and London Marylebone. The station is currently managed by Chiltern Railways.
From 1 January 1968 British Railways withdrew passenger services from the Buckinghamshire Railway between Oxford and Bletchley and closed all intermediate stations including Islip; In 1987 Network SouthEast reintroduced passenger services on the Oxford to Bicester Line and on 13 May 1989 Islip was reopened as a single platform unstaffed halt.
The station closed to rail traffic on 15 February 2014 (the last trains having run late on 14 February) in order to allow upgrade of the line between Oxford and Bicester. Reopening was planned for May 2015, but was later delayed until 26 October 2015.
From December 2008 the service on Mondays to Saturdays was improved with an evening service and a doubling of the service on Saturdays. There were 11 trains on Mondays to Thursdays, 12 on Fridays and 13 on Saturdays. From May 2009 further improvements saw extra trains during the daytime on Mondays to Fridays and a new all-year round Sunday service, with trains every 90 minutes.
On 22 May 2011 Chiltern Railways took over all passenger operations from this station from the previous operator First Great Western. This was in advance of the new London Marylebone to Oxford service which was due to start in 2013, but was later delayed to 26 October 2015.
The station will have a car park with 26 standard car spaces plus two for passengers with reduced mobility. It will also have parking for 10 pedal cycles.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Oxford Parkway||Chiltern Railways
London Marylebone - Oxford
|Oxford Road Halt
Line open, station closed
|London and North Western Railway
Line open, station closed
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 128. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- "Oxford to Bicester, Banbury and Worcester". First Great Western. Archived from the original on 18 February 2010. Retrieved 19 May 2010.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- "Last train to run on Oxford to Bicester line before revamp". BBC News Oxford. 14 February 2014. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Chiltern Railway". Oxford Mail. 11 February 2014. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Chiltern to take over Bicester – Oxford trains". RAIL (664). 23 February – 8 March 2011. p. 25.
- Personal email from a site engineer
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Islip railway station.|