Jean-Yves Le Drian
|Jean-Yves Le Drian|
|President of the Regional Council of Brittany|
18 December 2015
|Preceded by||Pierrick Massiot|
|French Minister of Defence|
16 May 2012
|Prime Minister||Jean-Marc Ayrault
|Preceded by||Gérard Longuet|
30 June 1947 |
|Political party||Socialist Party|
|Alma mater||University of Rennes 2|
Jean-Yves Le Drian (French pronunciation: [ʒã.iv lə.dʁi.jã]); born 30 June 1947) is a French politician who is a member of the French Socialist Party. He has served as the Minister of Defence and Veterans Affairs under President François Hollande since 2012.
Early life and education
Jean-Yves Le Drian was born on 30 June 1947 in Lorient, Brittany, to working-class parents, Jean and Louisette, who were active members of the Young Christian Workers (Jeunesse ouvrière chrétienne, or JOC, in French). He completed his studies at the University of Rennes, where he was an activist for the Union Nationale des Étudiants de France (UNEF).
First of all interested by Breton Democratic Union (UDB) in the 1970s, he joined the French Socialist Party (PS) in May 1974. He served as the deputy mayor of Lorient in 1977 and then, at the age of 30, he became a member of the French National Assembly for Morbihan. He served until 1993 and then again from 1997 until June 2007.
In 2004 at the top of the list Bretagne à gauche, Bretagne pour tous (PS-PCF-PRG-Les Verts-UDB), he won 58.66% in the runoff and a total of 58 seats in the regional council. He thus became regional president of Brittany. In October 2010 he became President of the Conference of Peripheral Maritime Regions of Europe (CPMR).
He was nominated to serve as the Minister of Defence under Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault on 16 May 2012. As Minister of Defence, he has been managing the withdrawal of French troops from Afghanistan and the deployment of French troops in the ongoing Northern Mali conflict and Operation Barkhane.
Awards and honours
- "Actualité – Personnalité – Jean-Yves Le Drian". Le Point. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "CV: Jean-Yves LE DRIAN" (PDF). European Commission. 25 January 2011.
- Raynaudon-Kerzerho, Maiwenn (1 March 2014). "L'Union démocratique bretonne : un demi-siècle de lutte pour l'autonomie" [The Breton Democratic Union: half a century of fight for the autonomy]. Bretons (in French) (96) (Vannes/Gwened, Brittany: Les Éditions Blanc et Noir). p. 38. ISSN 0245-9507.
- "Monsieur Jean-Yves LE DRIAN" Le Trombinoscope 29 May 2008, a commercial biographical database in French
- "Jean-Yves Le Drian is the new French Minister for Defence". Conference of Peripheral Maritime Regions of Europe. 18 May 2012. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Real Decreto 1093/2015, de 4 de diciembre por el que se concede la Gran Cruz de la Orden de Isabel la Católica Jean-Yves Le Drian, Ministro de Defensa de la República Francesa". BOE (Spanish Official Journal). 5 December 2015. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jean-Yves Le Drian.|
|Minister of Defence
|This Brittany-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Socialist Party of France politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|