Order of the Rising Sun
|Order of the Rising Sun
|3rd Class Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon Order of the Rising Sun|
|Awarded by the Emperor of Japan|
|Awarded for||long and/or especially meritorious civil or military service|
|Sovereign||His Imperial Majesty The Emperor|
|Grades (w/ post-nominals)||1st through 8th Class (1875-2003)
Gold and Silver Star (Rays, Principal Grade)
Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon (Cordon, Middle Grade)
Gold Rays with Rosette (Cordon, Junior Grade)
Gold and Silver Rays (Double Rays)
Silver Rays (Single Ray)
|Established||10 April 1875|
|Next (higher)||Order of the Paulownia Flowers|
|Next (lower)||Order of the Sacred Treasure|
The Order of the Rising Sun (旭日章 Kyokujitsu-shō?) is a Japanese order, established in 1875 by Emperor Meiji of Japan. The Order was the first national decoration awarded by the Japanese government, created on 10 April 1875 by decree of the Council of State. The badge features rays of sunlight from the rising sun. The design of the Rising Sun symbolizes energy as powerful as the rising sun in parallel with the "rising sun" concept of Japan ("Land of the Rising Sun").
The order is awarded to those who have made distinguished achievements in the following fields: international relations, promotion of Japanese culture, advancements in their field, development in welfare or preservation of the environment. Prior to the end of World War II, it was also awarded for exemplary military service. Beginning in 2003, the highest ranking medal for the Order of the Rising Sun became a separate order known as Grand Cordon of the Order of the Paulownia Flowers.
While it is the third highest order bestowed by the Japanese government, it is however generally the highest ordinarily conferred order. The highest Japanese order, the Order of the Chrysanthemum, is reserved for heads of state or royalty, while the second highest order, the Order of the Paulownia Flowers is mostly reserved for politicians.
The modern version of this honour has been conferred on non-Japanese recipients beginning in 1981 (although several foreigners were given the honor before World War II); and women were awarded the Order starting in 2003 (previously, women were awarded the Order of the Precious Crown). The awarding of the Order is administered by the Decoration Bureau of Office of the Prime Minister. It is awarded in the name of the Emperor and can be awarded posthumously.
It can be awarded to Japanese as well as non-Japanese nationals.
- 1 Classes
- 2 Insignia
- 3 Notable recipients
- 3.1 1st Class, Grand Cordon
- 3.2 2nd Class, Gold and Silver Star
- 3.3 3rd Class, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon
- 3.4 4th Class, Gold Rays with Rosette
- 3.5 5th Class, Gold and Silver Rays
- 3.6 6th Class, Silver Rays
- 3.7 7th Class, Green Paulownia Leaves Medal
- 3.8 8th Class, White Paulownia Leaves Medal
- 3.9 Class unknown
- 4 See also
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 External links
The Order was awarded in nine classes until 2003, when the Grand Cordon with Paulownia Flowers was made a separate order, and the lowest two classes were abolished. Since then, it has been awarded in six classes. Conventionally, a diploma is prepared to accompany the insignia of the order, and in some rare instances, the personal signature of the Emperor will have been added. As an illustration of the wording of the text, a translation of a representative 1929 diploma says:
By the grace of Heaven, Emperor of Japan, seated on the throne occupied by the same dynasty from time immemorial,
We confer the Second Class of the Imperial Order of Meiji upon Henry Waters Taft, a citizen of the United States of America and a director of the Japan Society of New York, and invest him with the insignia of the same class of the Order of the Double Rays of the Rising Sun, in expression of the good will which we entertain towards him.
In witness whereof, we have hereunto set our hand and caused the Grand Seal of State to be affixed at the Imperial Palace, Tokyo, this thirteenth day of the fifth month of the fourth year of Shōwa, corresponding to the 2,589th year from the accession to the throne of Emperor Jimmu."
The star for the Grand Cordon and Second Class is a silver star of eight points, each point having three alternating silver rays; the central emblem is identical to the badge. It is worn on the left chest for the Grand Cordon, on the right chest for the 2nd Class.
The badge for the Grand Cordon to Sixth Classes is an eight-pointed badge bearing a central red enamelled sun disc, with gilt points (1st-4th Classes), with four gilt and four silver points (5th Class), or with silver points (6th Class); each point comprises three white enamelled rays. It is suspended from three enamelled paulownia leaves (not chrysanthemum leaves as the Decoration Bureau page claims) on a ribbon in white with red border stripes, worn as a sash from the right shoulder for the Grand Cordon, as a necklet for the 2nd and 3rd Classes and on the left chest for the 4th to 6th Classes (with a rosette for the 4th Class).
The badge for the Seventh and Eighth Classes consisted of a silver medal in the shape of three paulownia leaves, enamelled for the 7th Class and plain for the 8th Class. Both were suspended on a ribbon, again in white with red border stripes, and worn on the left chest. Both classes were abolished in 2003.
1st Class, Grand Cordon
- Her Majesty Queen Te Atairangikaahu of New Zealand (1931–2006), 1970
2nd Class, Gold and Silver Star
3rd Class, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon
4th Class, Gold Rays with Rosette
5th Class, Gold and Silver Rays
6th Class, Silver Rays
7th Class, Green Paulownia Leaves Medal
In 2003, this grade of the Order was abolished.
8th Class, White Paulownia Leaves Medal
In 2003, this grade of the Order was abolished.
- Aung San (1915–1947)
- de Bary, William Theodore (1993)
- Burzagli, Ernesto (1873–1944), 1906
- Craig, Albert M. (1988)
- Eichelberger, Robert Lawrence (1886–1961)
- Ellis, Alfred John (b. 1915), 1989
- Fortescue, Granville Roland (1875–1952)
- Józef Gieysztor
- Gibney, Frank B. (1976)
- Grondijs, Louis (1878–1961)
- Hosoya, Judayu (1840–1907)
- Ibrahim, Sultan of Johor (1873–1959)
- Knott, Cargill G. (1856–1922), 1891
- Wiesław Kotański, 1986
- Kunz, George Frederick (1856–1932)
- Henryk Lipszyc, 1992
- Macrae, Norman, 1988
- Charles, Count of Limburg Stirum (1906–1989)
- McKenzie, Lionel W. (1995)
- Morrison, George F. (1867–1943)
- Musa Ghiatuddin Riayat Shah, Sultan of Selangor (1893–1955)
- Paine, Godfrey (1871–1932), 1918
- Patrick, Hugh Talbot 1994
- Takenaka san founder of cure medicine*Raymond, Rossiter W. (1840-1918)
- Takamine Hideo (1854–1910)
- Tokuda, Kip (1946-2013), 2012
- Tsutakawa, George (1910–1997), 1874
- Wasson, J.R. (1855–1913), 1874
- Franciszek Ziejka pl
- Ozaki Yukio (1858–1954)
- Order of Civil Merit (Korea)
- Order of Chula Chom Klao and Order of the White Elephant (Thailand)
- Order of St. Michael and St. George (UK)
- Legion of Honour (France)
- Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (Grand Merit Cross, Merit Cross and Merit Medal equivalents)
- Order "For Merit to the Fatherland" (Russia)
- Order of Isabella the Catholic (Spain)
- Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- Decoration of Honour for Services to the Republic of Austria (Grand Decoration in Gold with Sash, in Gold with Star, in Gold, Grand Decoration of Honour, Decoration of Honour in Gold, Decoration of Merit in Gold)
- Order of Prince Henry (Portugal)
- "Decorations Bureau web site". CAO. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- "Council of State decree". Quan online. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- Embassy of Japan in Australia[dead link]
- Orders of the Rising Sun Cabinet Office
- Grand Cordon of the Order of the Paulownia Flowers Cabinet Office
- "Weatherhead East Asian Institute web site - Carol Gluck". Columbia University. 1 May 2006. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- Honor awarded 1929 -- "Japanese Emperor Honors H.W. Taft; Consul-General Gives Insignia for Fostering International Friendship. Diploma Also Presented; Brother of Chief Justice Receives Order of Rising Sun at Exercises Here," New York Times, 28 June 1929.
- The London Gazette: . 18 January 1921. Retrieved 2008-09-02.
-  Archived 2 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- "2007 Autumn Conferment of Decorations on Foreign Nationals" (PDF). Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 2007-11-08. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- aka Luang Pradist ManudharmPridi Banomyong (1974). "Ma vie mouvementee et mes 21 ans d'exil en Chine populaire" (in French). UNESCON.
- The London Gazette: . 19 August 1921. Retrieved 16 November 2007.London Gazette issue 32428, 19 August 1921
- Rutledge, Martha. (1979). "Barton, Sir Edmund (1849 - 1920)," Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 7, pp 194–200; Scaramouche. "Sir Edmund Barton"
- Nagashima-Hayashi, Michiko. "Former UNICEF Executive Director receives humanitarian award in Japan," UNICEF web site (2006)
- British Library. "Handlist of Japanese Manuscripts Acquired Since 1984," 'Or. 14819 Certificate conferring Order of the Rising Sun on Admiral von Bendemann,' p. 3.
- Japan embassy Algeria
- First Hawaiian Bank Annual Report, page 15 "Bishop is later awarded the Grand Cordon of the Imperial First Order of the Rising Sun by Japanese Emperor Meiji" 
- FIFA: Honors, Sepp Blatter.
- "2009 Spring Conferment of Decorations on Foreign Nationals" (PDF). Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- Japan Today[dead link]
- US Naval Historical Center: Biographies in Naval History, Arleigh Burke
- "Army chief of staff receives 'Order of the Rising Sun' decoration during Japan visit". The United States Army. 23 December 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- "In Brief", The Nation, retrieved 25 February 2012
- Former Administrator, UNDP
- 2009 Autumn Conferment of Decorations on Foreign Nationals, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
- Embassy of Japan in the UK
- Japan Today[dead link]
- "Conferral ceremony for Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun upon the Honourable John Winston Howard OM AC, former Prime Minister of Australia". Embassy Events. Embassy of Japan in Australia. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- Kirkup, James. "Obituary: Masaru Ibuka," Independent (London). 22 December 1997.
- Daniel Inouye, Senate: Awards
- Honor conferred 1917 -- The London Gazette: . 30 October 1917. Retrieved 1 February 2008.
- "Japan to confer award on former DPM Jayakumar". ChannelNewsAsia. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- Mauritius Consulate, Malta: Anerood Jugnauth
- "The Marquess Komura; A Notable Career," The Times (London). 25 November 1911.
- Foreign honours recipients 2014 - website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
- "Embassy of Japan in India: Press Releases from the Embassy". Embassy of Japan. 2009. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- "Kubo, former vice premier, dies at 74". Kyodo News. Tokyo. 26 June 2003. Retrieved 5 January 2013.
- Honor awarded December 6, 1964 -- LeMay, Curtis E. (1965). Mission with LeMay: My story, p, 466.
- Embassy of the Republic of Kenya in Japan: Wangari Maathai, 2009.
- "General Orders, No. 13." . Department of the Army, Headquarters. 6 April 1964. Retrieved 1 March 2010.
- C. J. Lloyd. "McEwen, Sir John (1900–1980)". ADB. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- Honor awarded 1973 -- National Archives of Australia
- Garamone, Jim. "Pace Receives Japanese Emperor's Rising Sun Award", American Forces Press Service. 18 August 2007.
- Stamford alumni: William Perry bio; "4,632 people win awards for contributing to Japan," Japan Times, 3 November 2002.
- Lista wszystkich odznaczeń Józefa Piłsudskiego
- FARELL, Angel (2015-04-20). "SOCIAL Joaquín Dabdoub tuvo un 'cumple' familiar - En Piegari. Su esposa, Lilibeth comandó el festejo". El Debel Sociales. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- "Biographies : GENERAL EDWARD A. RICE JR". The US Army. Archived from the original on 18 July 2012. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- Edward Rydz-śmigły (1886-1941)
- Kurita, Shunjiro. (1930). Who's Who in Japan, Vol. 13, p. 40; Cambridge University Alumni 1261-1900
- Honor awarded 1908 -- Ibaraki Prefecture e-newsletter
- S Ramesh. "Goh Chok Tong to receive award from Japanese emperor". Channelnews Asia. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- MCADCafé: "Dr.Shoichiro Toyoda To Receive SAE Foundation's 2005 Manufacturing Leadership Award," PR Newswire. 15 March 2005.
- Template:London Times
- Saing Soenthrith (5 November 2013). "Japanese Government Awards Chea Sim Order of the Rising Sun". The Cambodia Daily. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Japan awards Order of the Rising Sun to Minister Vo Hong Phuc". November 8, 2012. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- Kumar, Ajith Vijay (November 5, 2014). "Former PM Manmohan Singh receives Japan's top national award". Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- Lee Kuan Yew Bio Archived 26 September 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Cidadãos nacionais agraciados com ordens estrangeiras". Ordens Honoríficas Portuguesas. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "Conferment of the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star upon Dr. Seyyed Mohammad Hossein Adeli" (PDF). 2014-04-29. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- NNDB: Order of the Rising Sun
- "The Hindu". Kasturi & Sons. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "Professor Jagdish N. Bhagwati". Columbia University. 6 July 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- Działalność: inne
- Woods, Allan (21 June 2011). "Ex-Liberal MP gets his day in the sun". The Star. Toronto. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- Official US Army Register, published by US Army Adjutant General, 1962, page 53.
- "2,500 Bid Farewell to Booth", Pacific Stars and Stripes, 9 February 1961.
- "Meiji University". Meiji. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- The Laurel Historical Society. "Horace Capron at 200: A Laurel Founder's Life". pp. 1279–1291. Archived from the original on 22 November 2006. Retrieved 25 April 2007.
- "William Douglas Crowder". The US Navy. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- "Periscope," Newsweek. 20 December 2004.
- "Prince Komatsu at the Mansion House" The Times (London). Tuesday, 24 June 1902. (36802), p. 8.
- Tank Museum: Medal Recipients - Order of the Rising Sun, Second Class; Japan: "Elles, Sir Hugh Jamieson."
- "2000 Autumn Conferment of Decorations on Foreign Nationals". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- Honor awarded 1908 -- Crossroads: A Journal of Nagasaki History and Culture
- "Professor Donald Keene". The Donald Keene Center of Japanese Culture at Columbia University. Columbia University. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- Order Wschodzącego Słońca, Złota i Srebrna Gwiazda dla Prof. Michała Kleibera, prezesa PAN
- "I-House Life" (PDF). International House News and Information. University of Chicago. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "Business: Japanese Strip". Time. 8 May 1939. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- "Tsung-Dao Lee's Home Page". Tdlee. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- Honor awarded in July 1874 -- Charles LeGendre Reed University
- Honor awarded posthumously 1928 -- "Mikado Honors Dr. Noguchi, New York Times. 2 June 1928.
- "George R. Packard Faculty Page".
- Podsekretarz stanu ds. polityki pozaeuropejskiej i agendy demokratyzacyjnej - Jerzy Pomianowski
- Pinedo, Danielle. "Oer-Hollands; In Japan is Johannis de Rijke nog altijd een beroemdheid," NRC Handelsblad. 13 January 2000.
- "Russians Awarded Order of the Rising Sun in Japan". Russkiymir.ru. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- Honor awarded 1907 -- Adler, Cyrus (1921). p. 14; Sakamoto, Pamela Rotner. (1998). Japanese Diplomats and Jewish Refugees, p. 17.
- Day, Peter. "British aviation pioneer was a spy for Japan," Telegraph (London). 1 February 2002.
- Phillips, Pearson. The Highland peer who prepared Japan for war The Sunday Telegraph, 6 January 2002
- "Guide to the Wendell M. Stanley papers, 1926-1972". CDLib. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- Honor awarded 2003 -- Consulate-General of Japan in New York: "Government Of Japan To Honor Professor Michael Ira Sovereign."
- "Patent of Decoration". August 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- "Media Advisory: Government of Japan to Bestow Honour on Three Canadians". Japanese Embassy. 17 June 2011. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- Honor awarded 2007 -- Embassy of Japan in Singapore: "Conferment Ceremony for Mr. Philip Yeo, Chairman of SPRING Singapore."
- Honor awarded 2010 "Richard J. Wood - About | Earlham College"
- "CNR Rao conferred with Japan's highest civilian award". DNA India. May 2, 2015.
- "CNR Rao conferred with Japan's highest civilian award". General Knowledge Today. May 2, 2015. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- 2011 Autumn Conferment of Decorations on Foreign Nationals
- Honor awarded 2011 -- Embassy of Japan in Finland
- "Taiwanese entrepreneurs to be decorated in Japan". The Central News Agency. April 29, 2012.
- Embassy of Japan in Indonesia (Kedutaan Besar Jepang di Indonesia) 在インドネシア日本国大使館
-  Profile of Director General Lilia B. de Lima
- "Japanese Order for Missionary" (PDF). New York Times. 15 March 1905. p. 13. Retrieved 25 July 2009.
- "American Honored by the Japanese," The New York Times. 22 October 1899.
- Honor awarded 1906 -- Perry, Warren. (1983). "Hoad, Sir John Charles (1856 - 1911)" in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 9.
- NNDB: Order of the Rising Sun; Kosho Kempo, Kano Jigoro
- L.K. Herbert-Gustar and P.A. Nott published a biography of Milne John Milne, Father of Modern Seismology in 1980 pp 120 ISBN 0-904404-34-X
- Paul Kabrna "John Milne - the Man who Mapped the Shaking Earth" ISBN 978-0-9555289-0-3 Published by Craven & Pendle Geological Society in March 2007.pp68
- The London Gazette: . 5 March 1920. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- "Pax Britannica (3rd Class)", Time, 16 May 1932.
- Honor awarded in 1926 -- Adam Mathew web.
- Biography of T. Wayland Vaughan
- Hermann, Evelyn (1996). Shinichi Suzuki: A Man and His Music. Alfred Music.
- "University of Hawaiʻi Presents Honorary Degree to Edward George Seidensticker". Current News. University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- Taiichi Ohno's Workplace Management, Jon Miller (trans.), Gemba Press 2007, p. xii
- 1973, 3rd order of merit in Japanese honors system (Kunsantō), 1982 4th rank, court honor (jushii, posthumous)
- "Norman Macrae". telegraph.co.uk. London: The Telegraph. 22 January 2010. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- Quiñones, Eric. "Earl Miner, Specialist in English and Japanese Literature, dies at age 77" Princetonian Weekly Bulletin. 5 May 2004; Europa Publications. (2003). International Who's Who of Authors and Writers 2004, p. 388.
- Kenrick, Vivienne. "Personality Profile: Ian Nish," Japan Times. 18 September 2004.
- Andrzej Wajda kawalerem Orderu Wschodzącego Słońca
- Honor awarded 1998 -- "McClellan Named Sterling Professor of Japanese," Yale Office of Public Affairs. 3 February 1999.
- "Japan's emperor honors uw professor for his work". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Seattle. 25 March 1999. pp. B2.
- ""Hiroshima and the Historians:" Kenneth B. Pyle gives the Griffith and Patricia Way Lecture". Youtube. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Peter Dysdale bio notes: 4th I-House Academy: "Japan and China: Toward Asia- Pacific Cooperation," International House of Japan. 22 May 2007.
- "Rustum Roy, vita for health groups". Rustum Roy. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- WHOI Scientist Honored by Japanese Government WHOI 1 May 2003
- UBC Reports UBC Professor Emeritus Awarded Order of the Rising Sun of Japan. 4 December 2003.
- "California Ethnomusicologist Dr. Robert Garfias to Receive Japan's Order of the Rising Sun Award," Alliance for California Traditional Arts (ACTA) Archives.
- "Hidasi Judit nyelvész, kommunikációs professzor kitüntetése" (in Hungarian). Magyar-Japán Gazdasági Klub. 2005-11-09. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- Vaage, Nora Sørensen. Svein Bolling: Kirsti Koch Christensen, 2005.
- Embassy of Japan in Belgium: Decoration Awarding Ceremony of Prof. Dr. W.F. Vande Walle
- "The Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon" to Professor Jacob Raz, Embassy of Japan in Israel website.
- Wybrane epizody w historii stosunków japońsko-polskich Polish Embassy
- Weatherhead East Asian Institute, The Reed; "Carol Gluck Receives Top Honors from the Japanese Government," Columbia News, 6 October 2006.
- "former Commissioner of the Netherlands Foreign Investment Agency and Advisor to the SieboldHuis". Embassy. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- "Consulate General of Japan, Los Angeles". Consul Generale. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- Perera, Suharshi. "Woman: An icon in the literary world," Daily News (Sri Lanka). 9 August 2007.
- Embassy of Japan in the U.K.: Japanese Government honors Lord David Sydney Rowe-Beddoe," December 18, 2008.
- "The Government of Japan honors former Honorary Consul-General of Japan in Nashville", Consulate-General of Japan at Nashville website. 4 June 2008.
- "Dr Jerzy Nowacki uhonorowany japońskim orderem państwowym"
- "2008 Emily Sano Awarded Order of the Rising Sun". Consulate-General of Japan in San Francisco. Retrieved 1 July 2008.
- "SF US Embassy Japan Archives". Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- "2008 Spring Conferment of Decorations on Foreign Nationals" (PDF). Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. 2008-05-01. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- Consulate General of Japan, Boston. Archived 29 December 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- "2008 Autumn Conferment of Decorations on Foreign Nationals" (PDF). Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100323010802/http://www.vancouversun.com/John+Powles+built+important+ties+between+Canada+Japan/2687645/story.html. Archived from the original on 23 March 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2010. Missing or empty
- "Government of Japan Honors Dr. Setsuko Matsunaga Nishi," Asian American Federation. 2009.
- "Japan honors Vanderbilt Professor Dr. James E. Auer". Consulate-General of Japan at Nashville. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Japan honors Clint Eastwood in spring decorations," Japan Today. 29 April 2008.
- Harvard Gazette: Japanese government honors Professor Edwin A. Cranston. 14 May 2009.
- Embassy of Japan in Italy
- "David Russell". STEP Journal. 18 (6): 6. June 2010. Retrieved 1 April 2013.[better source needed]
- Embassy of Ireland in Japan: Irish Pianist decorated by the Government of Japan
- "2011 Spring Conferment of Decorations on Foreign Nationals" (PDF). Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. Retrieved 19 September 2011.
- "Recipients of Fall 2011 Decorations". Consulate-General of Japan in Los Angeles. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- K. H. Lee Receives Rising Sun Award from Japan http://pharmacy.unc.edu/news/schoolnews/k.-h.-receives-rising-sun-award-from-japan 20 April 2015.
- Apolonio, Eric B. (June 14, 2012). "Emperor Akihito honors Ateneo prof for promoting Philippine-Japan friendship". TV5 News and Information. Retrieved August 7, 2014.
- Embassy of Japan in Poland: Odznaczenie rządu japońskiego dla dr. hab. Romualda Huszczy, prof. UW, prof. UJ
- Embassy of Japan in the United States of America: Conferral of the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon upon Dr. Stephen Ira Katz, Director of the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
- "Уряд Японії нагородив Орденом Вранішнього Сонця двох професорів КНУ імені Тараса Шевченка".
- Program on Lord Sempill and Japanese espionage, BBC 24 May 2012
- "Conferral of the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon Upon Dr. George Joji Tanabe, Jr., Professor Emeritus of the Department of Religion, University of Hawaii at Manoa" (PDF). Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "2013 Spring Conferment of Decorations on Foreign Nationals". Embassy of Japan in the UK. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- 18th Wing commander presented Order of the Rising Sun, Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- "Conferral of the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon upon Ambassador Rust Macpherson Deming Adjunct Professor of Japan Studies at Johns Hopkins University". Embassy of Japan in the United States. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "Conferral of the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon,upon Professor Kent Eyring Calder, Director of Edwin O. Reischauer Center for East Asian Studies at Johns Hopkins University". Embassy of Japan in the United States. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- Colao, Leticia (11 March 2014). "El talaverano Carlos Rubio recibe la Orden del Sol Naciente de Japón". La tribuna de Toledo (in Spanish). Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Mr. Nghiem Vu Khai receives Order of the Rising Sun 3rd Class". Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- "Recipients of Spring 2015 Decorations". Consulate-General of Japan in Los Angeles. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- "Former RIAJ chairman Ishizaka Keiichi gets Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon medal". Recording Industry Association of Japan.
- "Japanese designer behind iconic soy sauce bottle dies at 85". ABS-CBN Corporation. 2015-02-09. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- "Toshiko Akiyoshi". Berkeley Agency. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "Библиотека изображений "РИА Новости" :: Галерея". Visualrian.com. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "Martha Argerich - IMG Artists"
- Honor awarded 1909 -- "Receives Guests Attired in Kimono," The San Francisco Call. November 29, 1909. p. 22.
- Jortner, David; Foley, Kathy (Fall 2001). "James R. Brandon". Asian Theatre Journal. University of Hawai'i Press. 28 (2): 350. JSTOR 41306497.
- "UMass Presidents William Penn Brooks". Massachusetts.edu. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- Odznaczenie rządu japońskiego dla pani Bogny Barbary Dziechciaruk-Maj, dyrektor Muzeum Sztuki i Techniki Japońskiej Manggha
- Glentzer, Molly (May 6, 2013). "Japanese government honors Glen Gondo". Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- "Recent Awards," Florida International University, Asian Studies. April 29, 2007.
- Consulate General of Japan in New York, "Government of Japan to Honor Dr. Asao Hirano," 2001.
- "Alumni William (Miller Kisselman) Imbrie, D.D.". The Princeton Seminary Bulletin. 23 (2): 572. 1929.
- "Randall Jones Order of the Rising Sun" (PDF). OECD. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- "Consulate General of Japan in New York's Office". Ny.us.emb-japan.go.jp. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "Puppet animation producer dies". The Japan Times Online. The Japan Times. 28 August 2010. Retrieved 29 August 2010.
- Honor awarded 1984 -- Bergan, Ronald. "A satirical eye on Japan: Keisuke Kinoshita, film director; born December 5, 1912; died December 30, 1998," The Guardian (Manchester). January 5, 1999.
- "Włodzimierz Kwieciński odznaczony Orderem Wschodzącego Słońca, Złote Promienie z Rozetą"
- Lasorda honored by Japan, MLB.com, December 3, 2008
- Alfred F. MAJEWICZ, professor tytularny zwyczajny, doktor habilitowany
- "Leiji Matsumoto, Shigeru Mizuki Earn Government Honors - News". Anime News Network. 2011-11-01. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "Mayor Hazel McCallion Awarded the Order of the Rising Sun". City of Mississauga. 10 June 2014. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Mission Inn Hands on History, Frank A. Miller Order of the Rising Sun".
- "Conferral of the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Rosette upon Mr. Shiro Floyd Mori, National Executive Director Emeritus and former National President of the Japanese American Citizens League (JACL)". Embassy of Japan to the United States. 6 November 2012. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Maestro Kent Nagano Awarded Order of the Rising Sun". Consulate-General of Japan in San Francisco. 2008-12-07.
- Honor awarded 1915 -- Kita, Atsushi. (2005). Dr. Noguchi's Journey: A Life of Medical Search and Discovery, p. 196.
- "Golgo 13's Saito, Sunset on 3rd St.'s Saigan Win Medals". Anime News Network. 2010-04-28. Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- Anime News Network: "Frederik L. Schodt Wins The Order of the Rising Sun Award," April 29, 2009.
- Yoshimura, Toshio. (1981). George Shima, Potato King and Lover of Chinese Classics, p. 53.
- Honor awarded 1999 -- Whiting, David. "Obituary: Tatsuzo Shimaoka; Japanese potter steeped in folk traditions who became a cultural ambassador," The Guardian (Manchester). January 17, 2008.
- British Museum
- "George Takei, bio notes". Georgetakei.com. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- Honor awarded 1942 -- Tsuji, Masanobu. (1997). Japan's Greatest Victory, Britain's Worst Defeat, p. 108.
- Honor conferred 1964 -- North Austin Tae Kwan Do: "Chronology of the Life of Morihei Ueshiba, Founder of Aikido."
- Honor awarded 1996 -- Columbia University, Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures, Faculty Profiles
-  Archived 26 July 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- Sadao Watanabe official website: biography
- "British Judo Association". Britishjudo.org.uk. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "President and founder, Japan-America Society of New Hampshire and founder, Portsmouth Peace Treaty Forum".
- Founder of center for Japonology in Lithuania, first Japanese translator, Japanese teacher and popularizer of Japanese culture in Lithuania 
- "Rokusaburo Michiba". FutureToday Inc. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "Sir Bobby Charlton awarded Japanese Order". www.jfa.or.jp. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Japan): 2010 Spring Conferment of Decorations on Foreign Nationals, p. 8.
- "Piksi za "Blic": Meni orden, Srbiji priznanje". Blic. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "Conferral of the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Rosette, upon translator William Scott Wilson" (PDF). Consulate-General of Japan in Miami. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- http://www.be.emb-japan.go.jp/english/archives/news_151222.html. Missing or empty
- "Ferran Adrià recibe la Orden del Sol Naciente". El País (in Spanish). EFE. 2015-12-11. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "Hank Aaron presented with Order of the Rising Sun". ESPN.
- Imada, Vaughn (August 24, 2015). "2015 Members of USJF Hall of Fame". United States Judo Federation. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- London Gazette issues 33043-p2919
- "Major Douglas Estment Randall, MC". Queensland Family Trees. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- Szyfrant, który sprawił cud
- Cordileone, Elvira. "Kenzo Mori: An impact on two shores," The Star (Toronto). January 22, 2007.
- Unpaginated editors' chronology appended to Kiyoshi Nishiyama, Shunkō shūshoku (春光秋色) / Seasonal Aspects of Japan (Tokyo: Asahi Sonorama, 1979) (Japanese)(English).
- Honor awarded 1983 -- "Origami artist of stunning originality who became an ambassador for Japanese culture and his art". The Times (London). March 30, 2005; Lister, David. "Obituary: Akira Yoshizawa; Japanese craftsman who singlehandedly revived the art of origami," The Guardian (Manchester). April 8, 2005.
- "Obituary". US National Library of Medicine, Institutes of Health. British Medical Journal. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Conferment Ceremony of 2015 Autumn Imperial Decorations for Foreign Recipients". Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Commendation Ceremony for Mr. Robert Tadashi Banno, Q.C., President of the Nikkei Place Foundation". Retrieved 2016-09-21.
- Endo, Ellen (2012-11-05). "Mikwaya CEO Hashimoto Passes at 69". Rafu Shimpo. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan; 2012 Autumn Conferment of Decorations on Foreign Nationals, p. 6.
- "Was a celebration From Kishida Masuo's official website.". Feb 11, 2012. Retrieved March 28, 2013. (岸田益雄公式ページ - 祝賀会でした)
- "The history of Hironori Otsuka" (International Federation of Wado-Ryu Karate-do Organizations)
- 2012 "Jokun Recognition Luncheon", Rafu Shimpo Los Angeles Japanese Daily News, May 18, 2012
- "Reception in Honor of Mr. Seiichi Tanaka, Grand Master of San Francisco Taiko Dojo", Consulate-General of Japan in San Francisco, February 13, 2014
- Honor awarded 2016 -- Consulate-General of Japan in New York: "Government Of Japan To Honor Suki Terada Ports."
- Honor awarded 2016 -- Embassy of Japan in Budapest: "Government Of Japan To Honor Istvan Pinczès"
- Honor awarded on 1971 -- Henshall, Mary. "Pioneer Portraits: Henry and Fumiko Fujii," Idaho Yesterdays., Spring, 1975, pp. 20–27; Washington State University Libraries: "Furthering friendship between Japan and the United States, April 1971"
- "Fudeko receives Japan's Order of the Rising Sun". Western Advocate. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- Orliński, Bolesław. "Moje wrażenia z lotu do Tokjo" Lwów 1933, p. 79.
- Ohio University Libraries. "Scholars and Librarians in East Asian Studies (North America) - William Theodore de Bary". Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- Honor awarded in 1906 -- "Cruiser 'Livia' in Kobe to Greet Italians," Osaka Mainichi. 28 July 1922.
- Craig, Albert M. (2010). The heritage of Japanese Civilization. Boston: Prentice Hall. pp. Author Bio. ISBN 0-13-600524-1.
- "Uncle Bob", Time, 10 September 1945.
- "A. John Ellis". Simon Fraser University.
- Arlington National Cemetery: Granville Roland Foretscue
- Jeszcze jeden globtroter?
- Cynthia Peters (4 April 2006). "Frank B. Gibney, 81, One of the Nation's Preeminent Experts on Asia and President of the Pacific Basin Institute at Pomona College, Has Died". Pomona College. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- Honor awarded 1891 -- Penicuik Community Development Trust (UK): Cargill Gilston Knott
- Profesor Wiesław Kotański (1915-2005) wybitny uczony, japonista, wychowawca pokoleń
- amb. Henryk LIPSZYC
- Macrae, Norman. (2000). John von Neumann: the Scientific Genius who Pioneered the Modern Computer, p. 406.
- Honor awarded 1918 -- RAF web page
- Honor awarded 1994 -- Weatherhead East Asian Institute, The Reed
- "Former state legislator Kip Tokuda dies while fishing". Seattle Times.
- Honor awarded 1874 -- "A Victory for the Chinese; Japanese Driven with Heavy Loss from Ping-yang," New York Times, 22 August 1894.
- Spotkanie z prof. Franciszkiem Ziejką
- Ozaki, Yukio. (2001). ''The Autobiography of Ozaki Yukio: The Struggle for Constitutional Government in Japan, p. 393.
- Russian: «Полный послужной список Корпуса Инженер Механиков Генерал-Майора Зарубина 1-го» (ЦГАВМФ СССР Фонд 406 опись 3 дело 960 лист 21 (оборотный)); English: "A full track record of Mechanical Engineering Corps Major-General Zarubin 1st" (Central State Archive of the Navy of the Soviet Union (Russian State Naval Archives now), Fond 406 inventory 3 file 960 sheet 21 (reverse side)).
- Peterson, James W., Barry C. Weaver and Michael A. Quigley. (2001). Orders and Medals of Japan and Associated States. San Ramon, California: Orders and Medals Society of America. ISBN 1-890974-09-9
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Order of the Rising Sun.|